Cody Green to transfer?

26 years in the Marine Corps makes my ideas of loyalty different than yours I guess, but to me a quitter is a quitter. He signed to play for Nebraska, he is not good enough, but we did not kick him to curb, we honor our side, he doesn't.

Spano did not quit, he was force do stop playing due to injury, totally a different thing.

Leaving us high and dry when you are number two QB with an injury prome starter, yea I think that qualifies.

Hey he may be a great guy, who cares, he quit when we truly needed him.

Trust me if Taylor had quit today the tone would be totally different about him. The two are no different, the signed to play for Nebraska. One stays one quits. Not much lower than a quitter to me. Winners never quit, quitters never win.

He will move on to another program and never start a game, never be more than he was here. He does not have the ability we wasted a scholarship on. That happens every single year at every single program. But most finish it out, stick by their choices.

I wish him luck, at what ever he does, but I have no undying love or respect for him.

Put Martinez in this and this would be the standard post, we all know it. Truth is truth.

If Taylor had quit today, yes the tone would be different. Its his job to lose, so him transfering would be greatly concerning. Cody is probably 3rd on the depth chart with no sight of probably playing another down at Nebraska. So the 2 situations are vastly different. Its one thing to have a starter transfer its another to have a 3rd teamer transfer. Its not quiting, its cutting your losses and moving on. You probably had to do that in Marines at some point.

I am not talking about his ability. I have never thought he had the ability to be here in the first place.

But lets take every other position on the team, we have a starter, 3rd string says I do not have the ability to beat out number 1, time for me to move, what type of team would you have if that happened.

You work to get better, improve yourself, life is about hard work and doing the best you can. Very few can be starters, nice guys or not. I doubt he will ever start another game unless he drops to Division II.

But leaving now after losing Spano, Carnes never starting a game, Martinez questionable at best to finish the season, and no one else really. When the staff needed him to be the man, he quit. You can take that anyway you want, make it all pretty, but he is letting the program down. Not facing the challenge, ducking out, playing for him. What ever you want to call it.

• Fire 2

I guess we should also question how his parents raised him, like some did the Gabberts?

Or call him a spoiled brat and a sore loser, as many have called Martinez.

My response to both of these posts: I missed the part where he ever acted wishy washy, spoiled, or immature. That is what separates these other two situations with the Green situation. He has always been a team player, mature, works hard, and has made informed decisions.

People thought Martinez was wishy washy, spoiled, and immature because of the rumors about him transferring. Cody Green is actually transferring. I don't think either player is spoiled or immature, just trying to point out the pretty blatant hypocrisy in the fan base's reaction.

It's not even the same. Cody has had two years worth of being a last-case scenario and has done it with a smile. He's been quoted repeatedly saying that he doesn't care what his role is, just so long as he helps the team. How many shots of him have you seen of him helping signal plays in with a headset with just as much zeal as if he were the starter? (See also Zac Lee and Kody Spano.)

Cody leaving is not an immature, "I'm taking my ball and going home" reaction, it's a sobering recognition that he wants to play and will almost certainly not have that opportunity here. As much as people think this speaks volumes about Carnes, it's more likely that it speaks to RK III, who may have passed Green on the depth chart to get the #3 spot.

Meanwhile, when he is sidelined for whatever reason, Martinez acts disinterested and seems totally aloof. There's been enough smoke to suspect there is at least something smoldering there with regard to his less-than-stellar attitude.

In sum, there is no doubt Cody loves the Huskers, and his transfer is clearly about looking for his best opportunity so that he can play someday. Martinez's apparent transfer threat was more about him not getting his way.

Edit: Let's put it this way:

There is a decent chance Martinez would transfer the SECOND he was bumped down to #2.

CG is transferring now that he is #3 or #4, with no hope of ever being the starter. Big, big difference folks.

haha, the only difference between the two situations is that Cody is actually transferring, and Martinez isn't. You can try to spin it any other way you want, but you're just going to be talking out of your ass.

Rumors about Martinez transferring = what a jerk, what a spoiled brat, selfish, not a team player.

Cody Green actually transferring = Wish him well, what a nice guy, always a great team player.

He's been quoted repeatedly saying that he doesn't care what his role is, just so long as he helps the team.

I don't care that he's been quoted saying that, or that he smiles all nice-like when he's on the sideline or in front of the press. That stuff just makes him a better politician than Martinez. At the end of the day, it's not true - he's not helping our QB depth, he's not moving to TE or WR, he's not acting as a leader/coach on the sidelines - he's leaving. You can't help the team from another campus.

Again, I understand Cody's decision, sympathize with him, and wish him well. But the entire reaction to this situation has pretty much validated my view that people are backing one QB over another because of personal biases and very little more.

• Fire 2

26 years in the Marine Corps makes my ideas of loyalty different than yours I guess, but to me a quitter is a quitter. He signed to play for Nebraska, he is not good enough, but we did not kick him to curb, we honor our side, he doesn't.

Spano did not quit, he was force do stop playing due to injury, totally a different thing.

Leaving us high and dry when you are number two QB with an injury prome starter, yea I think that qualifies.

Trust me if Taylor had quit today the tone would be totally different about him. The two are no different, the signed to play for Nebraska. One stays one quits. Not much lower than a quitter to me. Winners never quit, quitters never win.

He will move on to another program and never start a game, never be more than he was here. He does not have the ability we wasted a scholarship on. That happens every single year at every single program. But most finish it out, stick by their choices.

I wish him luck, at what ever he does, but I have no undying love or respect for him.

Put Martinez in this and this would be the standard post, we all know it. Truth is truth.

If Taylor had quit today, yes the tone would be different. Its his job to lose, so him transfering would be greatly concerning. Cody is probably 3rd on the depth chart with no sight of probably playing another down at Nebraska. So the 2 situations are vastly different. Its one thing to have a starter transfer its another to have a 3rd teamer transfer. Its not quiting, its cutting your losses and moving on. You probably had to do that in Marines at some point.

Never playing another down at Nebraska? He was third on the depth chart last year and he started two games! The only reason he didn't play more was because he still couldn't overcome Martinez even when Martinez could barely walk. Cody Green wasn't a victim of "never got a real opportunity." He got more of an opportunity than most backup QBs ever get, and he got them over the course of two years.

Anyways, Martinez transferring today instead of Cody would be different, but we don't need to make up that hypothetical situation. Just go back to last August, when rumors of Martinez transferring emerged and the hate began. Then fast forward to November, when the same thing happened, amplified times 1000. The majority of the fan base is still dark on Martinez because of those rumors. Meanwhile, Cody Green transfers in virtually the same circumstances (didn't get what he wants, which is playing time or a starter's spot or whatever, and so he's gone), and now it's all, "What a great guy, team player, good luck to him."

Just admit that you like Cody more, or that you don't like Martinez, and that's why you treat the situations differently. But pretending the situation is different is just embarrassing.

• Fire 2

Well so much for the political correct crap.

If Martinez had quit today 90% of you would be throwing him under the bus, Green quits, oh what a nice guy. Bull$hit. He QUIT, He is leaving us high and dry, because he failed to do what he was recruited for. Nebraska kept him for three years, he never gave us three years of service.

You start something, you finish, not pull up your panites and run some where else, where he will fail just like every one of them have so far. He is not a division one QB, we carried him to honor our commitment, he leaves. Loyalty, honor, dedication are words that have meanings. Learn them Cody, you will need them in life.

Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya!!!

BA BYE!!!!!

I do admit that I see some similarities and hypocrises between the Green and Martinez transferring issue.

That said, I don't fault a player for leaving a team. If he honestly thinks he has no chance to start at Nebraska, how can you or anybody say he deserves to sit there, suck it up and be a sideline signal caller until his eligibility is up? Not everybody is going to have a Brook Berringer mind set when it comes to taking one for the team. You only get four years (barring injury and the redshirt season) to play college football. After that your time is up. You really think a player doesn't have the right to go some place else where he'll be more successful? You really think people should stay in situations they may not succeed in?

Furthermore, as far as the bolded part is concerned, Cam Newton ran "somewhere else", won a Heisman Trophy and a national championship. So not "every one" of those transfers has failed so far. In fact there are several players that transfer from other schools and become extremely successful football players. It doesn't always happen, but it does happen occasionally.

Never playing another down at Nebraska? He was third on the depth chart last year and he started two games! The only reason he didn't play more was because he still couldn't overcome Martinez even when Martinez could barely walk. Cody Green wasn't a victim of "never got a real opportunity." He got more of an opportunity than most backup QBs ever get, and he got them over the course of two years.

Anyways, Martinez transferring today instead of Cody would be different, but we don't need to make up that hypothetical situation. Just go back to last August, when rumors of Martinez transferring emerged and the hate began. Then fast forward to November, when the same thing happened, amplified times 1000. The majority of the fan base is still dark on Martinez because of those rumors. Meanwhile, Cody Green transfers in virtually the same circumstances (didn't get what he wants, which is playing time or a starter's spot or whatever, and so he's gone), and now it's all, "What a great guy, team player, good luck to him."

Just admit that you like Cody more, or that you don't like Martinez, and that's why you treat the situations differently. But pretending the situation is different is just embarrassing.

What?1?!?

So there isnt a difference between a 1st teamer quitting and a 3rd teamer quitting????? Thats why the situation is different.

Why do you try to start Martinez war in every freaking thread???? Just admit it you like to start crap. Grow up.

While I do think that (given the hypothetical situation of Martinez transferring) that his position on the team would garner a different tone and reaction on the board, I think there's a little more to it. I guarantee that if Martinez were transferring, people would be far harsher and not just because he was the projected starter - but because of the rumors earlier in the season.

That said, I still can't fault any player for leaving if they truly think they'll be successful elsewhere. It's like the Lebron James situation. You play in the NBA to win championships and make money. Why should James stay in Cleveland when the team wasn't that good and the ownership wasn't doing a whole lot to help him out?

Didn't mean to derail the thread but all I'm saying is that even though I'm disappointed Green is leaving, I can't fault him for it.

• Fire 1

While I do think that (given the hypothetical situation of Martinez transferring) that his position on the team would garner a different tone and reaction on the board, I think there's a little more to it. I guarantee that if Martinez were transferring, people would be far harsher and not just because he was the projected starter - but because of the rumors earlier in the season.

That said, I still can't fault any player for leaving if they truly think they'll be successful elsewhere. It's like the Lebron James situation. You play in the NBA to win championships and make money. Why should James stay in Cleveland when the team wasn't that good and the ownership wasn't doing a whole lot to help him out?

Didn't mean to derail the thread but all I'm saying is that even though I'm disappointed Green is leaving, I can't fault him for it.

Im just looking at from a position on the depth chart point of view. Yeah, there were rumors, but putting those rumors aside, having your starting QB announce he is transfering is meltdown material. Whether you hate the player or not. Now having a 3rd teamer transfer deverses nothing more than a mention. I relate it to your job if your stuck at a company where you cant move up or make any more money, why would you stay there??? You look around to find best opportunity. I dont think anybody that left a job for a better opportunity would be labeled as a quitter. Just like with DTray we all knew this was coming. So whats the big deal??

Im just looking at from a position on the depth chart point of view. Yeah, there were rumors, but putting those rumors aside, having your starting QB announce he is transfering is meltdown material. Whether you hate the player or not. Now having a 3rd teamer transfer deverses nothing more than a mention. I relate it to your job if your stuck at a company where you cant move up or make any more money, why would you stay there??? You look around to find best opportunity. I dont think anybody that left a job for a better opportunity would be labeled as a quitter. Just like with DTray we all knew this was coming. So whats the big deal??

It appears we agree.

In some regards it is a big deal - he was a highly touted freshman and people though three years ago that he would be our starter now. He's not and it's just kind of weird to some people.

That said he just wants to put himself in the best opportunity to succeed. It is what it is.

1. When people say things like "He should not be a quitter" it makes my roll my eyes. What if you take a job and it turns out to be terrible, do you stay there until the day you die? Don't answer it, you don't need to.

2. He was never going to play, unless of injury.

3. To all the "insiders" on certain boards that lurk here a bit, THERE WAS NO CONSPIRACY, you know why Green did not play more? 'Cause he was not better then other guys.

4. You need to take care of yourself first, he felt it was best for him to try another place.

• Fire 2

I would have liked to see Green stay for depth and experience on our roster but understand why he chose to look elsewhere. His style doesn't fit with the way this offense is going. In the spring game, he sort of just looked like he was in slow motion in our offense.

We do lack depth now.

TMart and Carnes are 1 and 1A.

Hopefully we get Bubba on board as he is sorely needed now.

Good luck to CG...if he finds the right offense, he can probably do himself alright.

So you're saying that he sucks, that he'll never be successful anywhere... And then rip him for leaving?

I mean, if he's so terrible, then why the venom about him trying to find a place where he fits?

That doesn't make much sense to me, but.... Yep, it sure does remind me of every 20+ year SNCO I've talked to.

What?1?!?

So there isnt a difference between a 1st teamer quitting and a 3rd teamer quitting????? Thats why the situation is different.

Why do you try to start Martinez war in every freaking thread???? Just admit it you like to start crap. Grow up.

Martinez wasn't the 1st teamer when the rumors started, back in August. The situation is almost exactly the same. I'm not saying, "What if Martinez had transferred today?" I'm saying, when there were rumors about him transferring, even back in August before he was a starter, the reaction was, "What a crybaby, what a sore loser." Today, Cody Green actually transfers, and the reaction is the total opposite. It's the same situation, except that Cody actually is leaving, and the Martinez rumors were never true.

• Fire 1