Cody Green to transfer?

I think it's a bit premature to transfer. He has had chances, he just hasn't done real well with them. I agree that we gave him a scholly, food, team apparel, tutoring, plane rides to games, interviews, adulation, highlights at games on the jumbotron, etc, etc...in other words he was a product and we invested in making that product better, it's just that it didn't appear he was quite ever a finished product. After all the Univ invested in him, don't you think he could've stayed and maybe fulfilled some return on that investment? I always cheered for him and wished he wouldn't have been put in on his own goal line all the time, but the fact is, he wasn't really panning out.

that said, what if he was an amazing QB here for 3 years and won us couple CC's and had a record of 26-6 and decided to go to the NFL early would we raise such a stink? Probly not, but since he kinda didn't live up to expectations, it kinda seems like he's bailing on us a little bit. But i'm not going to call him a "loser" or a "quitter" like the marine, even though I love my Huskers, I won't judge a person that harshly at that young of an age.

I'll just move on.

You're right!! He still owes them!

They should really sue the kid, if you ask me...

Just to get this out of the way:

I enjoyed Cody's character of what he shown. Rather if he was being a politician or being honest, is hard to say, he said the right things at least. Doing the right things, well that's debatable as this thread has shown, but I will not throw him under the bus. I will not call Cody a loser or a quitter, however. Cody has to make the decision that is best for him. I remember reading somewhere that Bo doesn't care if someone does transfer, that it's up to them, and that our program is more important than one individuals decision.

Moving on....

For the most part I can see the hypocrisy/similarities in the Martinez/Green non-transfer/actual transfer situations.

skersfan: You even said it yourself, you don't think he is Division I material. That is fine, your opinion. Cody's play on the field was inconsistent and it's too bad for both sides it didn't work out better. But, you seem VERY upset for someone that you say doesn't have the talent to see the field as a starter at the Division I level. So if you think he doesn't have the talent, why get all worked up about him leaving?

I do though agree with skersfan to a point though. Although not 100% of his statements, but more so about leaving the POSITION in a bad situation of injury plagued starter, in-experience, and the unknown.

I agree with others to a point where he should cut his losses, move on. I also agree he leaves the POSITION in a bad situation, but again, he may not be all missed if Carnes and Kellogg are making huge strides on him.

However, on the flip side of the transfer situations, if EVERYONE who is a transfer is a quitter or a loser, then we should AT NO WAY be looking at Russell Wilson.

I guess we also should have never taken that loser who transferred from Stanford for 1996 and 1997, right? I think we all know how that ended.

I guess we should also question how his parents raised him, like some did the Gabberts?

Or call him a spoiled brat and a sore loser, as many have called Martinez.

My response to both of these posts: I missed the part where he ever acted wishy washy, spoiled, or immature. That is what separates these other two situations with the Green situation. He has always been a team player, mature, works hard, and has made informed decisions.

People thought Martinez was wishy washy, spoiled, and immature because of the rumors about him transferring. Cody Green is actually transferring. I don't think either player is spoiled or immature, just trying to point out the pretty blatant hypocrisy in the fan base's reaction.

It's not even the same. Cody has had two years worth of being a last-case scenario and has done it with a smile. He's been quoted repeatedly saying that he doesn't care what his role is, just so long as he helps the team. How many shots of him have you seen of him helping signal plays in with a headset with just as much zeal as if he were the starter? (See also Zac Lee and Kody Spano.)

Cody leaving is not an immature, "I'm taking my ball and going home" reaction, it's a sobering recognition that he wants to play and will almost certainly not have that opportunity here. As much as people think this speaks volumes about Carnes, it's more likely that it speaks to RK III, who may have passed Green on the depth chart to get the #3 spot.

Meanwhile, when he is sidelined for whatever reason, Martinez acts disinterested and seems totally aloof. There's been enough smoke to suspect there is at least something smoldering there with regard to his less-than-stellar attitude.

In sum, there is no doubt Cody loves the Huskers, and his transfer is clearly about looking for his best opportunity so that he can play someday. Martinez's apparent transfer threat was more about him not getting his way.

Edit: Let's put it this way:

There is a decent chance Martinez would transfer the SECOND he was bumped down to #2.

CG is transferring now that he is #3 or #4, with no hope of ever being the starter. Big, big difference folks.

haha, the only difference between the two situations is that Cody is actually transferring, and Martinez isn't. You can try to spin it any other way you want, but you're just going to be talking out of your ass.

Rumors about Martinez transferring = what a jerk, what a spoiled brat, selfish, not a team player.

Cody Green actually transferring = Wish him well, what a nice guy, always a great team player.

He's been quoted repeatedly saying that he doesn't care what his role is, just so long as he helps the team.

I don't care that he's been quoted saying that, or that he smiles all nice-like when he's on the sideline or in front of the press. That stuff just makes him a better politician than Martinez. At the end of the day, it's not true - he's not helping our QB depth, he's not moving to TE or WR, he's not acting as a leader/coach on the sidelines - he's leaving. You can't help the team from another campus.

Again, I understand Cody's decision, sympathize with him, and wish him well. But the entire reaction to this situation has pretty much validated my view that people are backing one QB over another because of personal biases and very little more.

Actually, its true that hes a really nice guy there is no "acting politician" about it. I know a few people that actually know the guy and all i heard was, "hes an extremely nice guy." Dont act like you would not do the same if you were Cody, he was third or fourth on the depth chart and has a chance to start somewhere. When you love a sport, you want to actually PLAY it no matter what, i gurantee if you put 99 percent of us in cody's shoes, we would do the exact same thing. Ask yourself this question, "Would i rather be 3rd for fourth string...or would i rather start and play somewhere else?" If you answered "id rather be third or fourth string" then its obvious you have never LOVED the game of football and arent dedicated to the game of football. Thats what the love of the game is all about, its about PLAYING it, breathing it, loving it. I highly doubt you, personally, would prefer being 3rd or 4th string over being as starter. Also, quit harpin on the kid because of your "values." Im sure you have quit something at one point in your life, no one is perfect.

I don't mean for this to sound all high and mighty, but come on you guys...this is just not at all fair to the kid.

People in this thread are projecting all sorts of things onto Cody Green that we don't know are true. Nobody here has a CLUE as to the real situation he is in, nobody even knows if it's about playing time. Do we know everything about Cody's personal life? Do we know his reasons for leaving? We know he offered to switch positions, do we know if the coaches refused to let him do that? Maybe some of the speculation is true that it's not a fair job and he won't ever be able to unseat T-Mart even if he had the ability to? Do we know anything other than the fact that he's leaving? Anything at all?

It's really quite disturbing to see people claim such things as Cody being a good politician (implying that he's deceiving or lying about his character to the media), being a quitter, being a bust (apparently physical performance on the field is the only thing that matters at Nebraska), and other things that we have absolutely no basis to say or assume are true about the young man.

um no offense but you did say above that you know him personally. and no one is saying that he is any of those things. they are just saying that he is doing something even worse than what martinez supposedly did (he didnt) and instead of saying what they said about martinez, everyone is saying that green is a great human being etc. its a double standard because they liked said player and disliked another said player.

take the names out of the situation and it becomes a lot more clear.

I would have liked to see Green stay for depth and experience on our roster but understand why he chose to look elsewhere. His style doesn't fit with the way this offense is going. In the spring game, he sort of just looked like he was in slow motion in our offense.

We do lack depth now.

TMart and Carnes are 1 and 1A.

Hopefully we get Bubba on board as he is sorely needed now.

Good luck to CG...if he finds the right offense, he can probably do himself alright.

martinez and carnes are not 1 and 1a. they are 1 and 2, carnes has a long way to go before unseating martinez.

I have stated many times Cody would never play a meaningful down at Nebraska as a QB. I have never seen this ability some seem to see. I am sure he is a nice kid, but does not have the mental toughness to be a division 1 QB, nor the god given talent as I see it.

But leaving now, when he truly was needed. Thinking only of himself and not the program is what bothers me. I am not angry about losing his ability, I am angry (not really) about him not being there if he was needed. What I am angry about is that he took a scholarship from a kid that may have lived to be a Nebraska QB, that would have stuck it out and done whatever was necessary for the program. We do not know that kid was there, we never will. It is an honor to play for Nebraska, and should be thought of that way. All about me is not the answer.

I do not see Martinez going the whole season, I think Carnes will be more of Martinez year one if he does play. Freshman make mistakes, Cody at least gave us a player that had been on the field, a player that the team was behind.

As to leaving early for the NFL, I am not in agreement with that either. You finish what you start.

Reality is he quit on the team, Nebraska and the fans. When the going was tough he quit.

I was talking about the QB's that have left Nebraska for playing time, I do not believe any of them ever made it at lower level teams and rode the bench or changed to another position. My guess is he will end up that way, and regret leaving Nebraska.

Yea nobody should really be suprised by this. I think the majority of Huskerboard had no doubt he would transfer at some point. Best of luck Cody!!! Thanks for your time as a husker.

Agreed and thank you Cody for your time as a Husker, good luck in the future.

This thread kinda proves the point that we aren't that classy of a fan base. For the poster who said CG threw us under the bus that isn't true at all if anything it was Bo who threw him under the bus Green should have redshirted his first year instead he was forced to play basically beacuse the coaches pee'd down their leg.

Does anyone think this may be because Brion Carnes has moved to number 2 in the depth chart? Cody had to know he'd ride behind Martinez coming into this season, seems to me like this might be because he got moved back another spot. Best of luck to him, I really respected his attitude and effort no matter how it paid off. Good luck.

It has been hinted that NU is trying to sign a TE from Fort Scott. This scolly helps do that. This move doesn't surprise me. Good QB just not D1 material.

I really don't understand why everyone keeps talking about experience. No matter how much experience Green got, he was never good and showed no signs of improvement, imho. Experience means nothing when you're not any better after two years of it. Sure, he was nice. But that isn't helpful when you're trying to win games.

Anyway, I was surprised that they didn't decide right after last season to try to move him to a different position. Maybe he didn't want to, though. Dunno.

When the going was tough he quit.

Yeah, this would be true if he had left after his freshman or sophomore year. But it's not the case.

The one thing I think was unnecessary was Cody talking publicly about being amenable to positions change when he wanted to stay QB. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be QB. But talking about being happy as a backup when you're really not is just the right way to go about things. Nobody is that happy to be a backup, but you can either stir stuff up in the media given the opportunity, or play the role of the good soldier. Cody did the latter.

I guess we should also question how his parents raised him, like some did the Gabberts?

My response to both of these posts: I missed the part where he ever acted wishy washy, spoiled, or immature. That is what separates these other two situations with the Green situation. He has always been a team player, mature, works hard, and has made informed decisions.

People thought Martinez was wishy washy, spoiled, and immature because of the rumors about him transferring. Cody Green is actually transferring. I don't think either player is spoiled or immature, just trying to point out the pretty blatant hypocrisy in the fan base's reaction.

It's not even the same. Cody has had two years worth of being a last-case scenario and has done it with a smile. He's been quoted repeatedly saying that he doesn't care what his role is, just so long as he helps the team. How many shots of him have you seen of him helping signal plays in with a headset with just as much zeal as if he were the starter? (See also Zac Lee and Kody Spano.)

Cody leaving is not an immature, "I'm taking my ball and going home" reaction, it's a sobering recognition that he wants to play and will almost certainly not have that opportunity here. As much as people think this speaks volumes about Carnes, it's more likely that it speaks to RK III, who may have passed Green on the depth chart to get the #3 spot.

Meanwhile, when he is sidelined for whatever reason, Martinez acts disinterested and seems totally aloof. There's been enough smoke to suspect there is at least something smoldering there with regard to his less-than-stellar attitude.

In sum, there is no doubt Cody loves the Huskers, and his transfer is clearly about looking for his best opportunity so that he can play someday. Martinez's apparent transfer threat was more about him not getting his way.

There is a decent chance Martinez would transfer the SECOND he was bumped down to #2.

CG is transferring now that he is #3 or #4, with no hope of ever being the starter. Big, big difference folks.

haha, the only difference between the two situations is that Cody is actually transferring, and Martinez isn't. You can try to spin it any other way you want, but you're just going to be talking out of your ass.

Rumors about Martinez transferring = what a jerk, what a spoiled brat, selfish, not a team player.

Cody Green actually transferring = Wish him well, what a nice guy, always a great team player.

He's been quoted repeatedly saying that he doesn't care what his role is, just so long as he helps the team.

I don't care that he's been quoted saying that, or that he smiles all nice-like when he's on the sideline or in front of the press. That stuff just makes him a better politician than Martinez. At the end of the day, it's not true - he's not helping our QB depth, he's not moving to TE or WR, he's not acting as a leader/coach on the sidelines - he's leaving. You can't help the team from another campus.

Again, I understand Cody's decision, sympathize with him, and wish him well. But the entire reaction to this situation has pretty much validated my view that people are backing one QB over another because of personal biases and very little more.

For the record, I don't really place a lot of my distrust of Martinez on the transfer rumors. I put it on the fact that he generally acts like an aloof jackass who thinks he's the sh#t, but is mediocre at best the second he joins the other 99% of athletes who, by season's end, have some degree of injury to their knee/ankle/shoulder/foot.

There is little doubt that the kid has an attitude problem and you can make that case to a thousand jurors without ever introducing any evidence of the transfer rumors. There is a prima donna element to his attitude without a doubt.

The fact is that Cody has taken the high road during the past two seasons of being put on the back burner. He took it in stride in 2009 and again in 2010, starting just 4 games in two seasons. When it was clear that was going to be the #3 or #4 in 2011, he realized that he had better opportunities elsewhere if he wanted to play, which he has every right to do.

I have virtually no doubt that Martinez would spend exactly one week at #2 on the depth chart behind a QB the coaches thought was superior before he would call it quits and pack up. I mean, for crying out loud, the Martinez camp was bitching and moaning about him being pulled in the Texas game.

There is basically a zero percent chance that Martinez would stay at Nebraska for the remainder of his career as a #2 QB behind, say, Brion Carnes or Bubba Starling. Cody's done that or worse for the past two years, without even coming close to being a disgruntled cancer in the locker room, which is more than Martinez can say while he was the STARTER. That makes the situation a bit different in this man's opinion.

Martinez is to Tate Forcier, what Green is to Joe Dailey.

• Fire 1

I really don't understand why everyone keeps talking about experience. No matter how much experience Green got, he was never good and showed no signs of improvement, imho. Experience means nothing when you're not any better after two years of it. Sure, he was nice. But that isn't helpful when you're trying to win games.

Anyway, I was surprised that they didn't decide right after last season to try to move him to a different position. Maybe he didn't want to, though. Dunno.

that is a fact that he didnt want to. he acted like he did but as soon as coaches asked him about it he said no. simple as that. he made his own bed.

For the record, I don't really place a lot of my distrust of Martinez on the transfer rumors. I put it on the fact that he generally acts like an aloof jackass who thinks he's the sh#t, but is mediocre at best the second he joins the other 99% of athletes who, by season's end, have some degree of injury to their knee/ankle/shoulder/foot.

There is little doubt that the kid has an attitude problem and you can make that case to a thousand jurors without ever introducing any evidence of the transfer rumors. There is a prima donna element to his attitude without a doubt.

The fact is that Cody has taken the high road during the past two seasons of being put on the back burner. He took it in stride in 2009 and again in 2010, starting just 4 games in two seasons. When it was clear that was going to be the #3 or #4 in 2011, he realized that he had better opportunities elsewhere if he wanted to play, which he has every right to do.

I have virtually no doubt that Martinez would spend exactly one week at #2 on the depth chart behind a QB the coaches thought was superior before he would call it quits and pack up. I mean, for crying out loud, the Martinez camp was bitching and moaning about him being pulled in the Texas game.

There is basically a zero percent chance that Martinez would stay at Nebraska for the remainder of his career as a #2 QB behind, say, Brion Carnes or Bubba Starling. Cody's done that or worse for the past two years, without even coming close to being a disgruntled cancer in the locker room, which is more than Martinez can say while he was the STARTER. That makes the situation a bit different in this man's opinion.

Martinez is to Tate Forcier, what Green is to Joe Dailey.

im sorry dude but its pretty clear that you only know about martinez what the media has told you and that is 99% false. actually go meet him or talk to some of his teammates about him and you will know that martinez is none of the above state crap. he gets a bad rep because people that dont even know him push crap like this on message boards.

• Fire 1