Wilson to Wiscy

this guy is average at best and i would say not even a top 20 qb in the country. sure as knapp pointed out he can pass the ball (sorta) but he is an interception machine against bad defenses.

he is also not exactly what i would consider a dual threat qb, he averages around 300 yards rushing per year against bad defenses.

sorry not scared.

Plus he's going into a new system versus a guy that doesn't have a ton of game experience, but has been in the system for a couple years already. It's not even a given that Wilson will see the field.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but the guys on College Football Live today said that Wisconsin's playbook was very similar to NC State's.

um no. NC state runs a spread attack out of the shotgun while whisky runs a pro set where he will be under center. the offense is COMPLETELY different.

• Fire 1

this guy is average at best and i would say not even a top 20 qb in the country. sure as knapp pointed out he can pass the ball (sorta) but he is an interception machine against bad defenses.

he is also not exactly what i would consider a dual threat qb, he averages around 300 yards rushing per year against bad defenses.

sorry not scared.

Really... Not top 20? He'd have been the best QB in the ACC, hands down.

I'd like to see the list of quarterbacks that, in your opinion, are better... I mean, obviously Martinez would be #1, but who else?

first of all, yes i would have martinez ahead of him but no not at #1. i would list him at about the #6 qb in the BIG alone. stats speak for themself and so does his film.

get away from the stinch of his jock and it would be obvious to ya!

sorry not scared.

Plus he's going into a new system versus a guy that doesn't have a ton of game experience, but has been in the system for a couple years already. It's not even a given that Wilson will see the field.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but the guys on College Football Live today said that Wisconsin's playbook was very similar to NC State's.

um no. NC state runs a spread attack out of the shotgun while whisky runs a pro set where he will be under center. the offense is COMPLETELY different.

I was just going to post this. Nice work.

NC State had 461 rushing attempts for 1603 yards. They had 545 passing attempts for 3655 yards.

Wisconsin had 584 rushing attempts for 3194 yards. They had 276 passing attempts for 2593 yards.

Write me up as scared. The one thing teams could still do with some success was scramble for yards when we closed down the passing game. Look at Gilbert who has below average scrambling ability and got 71 yards and 2 tds on us. Locker still couldn't throw against us in the bowl game but still managed to run around for 83 yards and a touchdown. Yeah those aren't electric numbers but when teams couldn't throw and we all knew they couldn't, they still had some success outside the pocket. Wisconsin also has two monster halfbacks to rely on as well that will only make Wilson's transition easier. I think this make Wiscy the new favorite.

Wilson himself said the two playbooks are pretty similar.

http://host.madison.com/sports/blog/article_879a10b8-a0e7-11e0-a7b7-001cc4c03286.html

On comparing the UW and N.C. State playbooks: "A lot of it was pretty similar. ... That brought something to the table for me and that was really important in terms of my future and football.''

In any case, Paul Chryst tailors the offense around his players' strengths. Last year obviously we had the great offensive line and the running backs and the "game manager" at quarterback. I don't expect us to suddenly run a spread offense, but with Wilson under center the offense will likely feature a few different looks and formations.

• Fire 1

In any case, Paul Chryst tailors the offense around his players' strengths. Last year obviously we had the great offensive line and the running backs and the "game manager" at quarterback. I don't expect us to suddenly run a spread offense, but with Wilson under center the offense will likely feature a few different looks and formations.

I doubt that. I think you all stick with what works. All that changes is in passing plays, he can scramble, then throw or hold onto it and make positive yards. Running game will be the same as always, pound pound pound.

Cant wait to see you all in Indy. We want the Heartland back!!

I doubt that. I think you all stick with what works. All that changes is in passing plays, he can scramble, then throw or hold onto it and make positive yards. Running game will be the same as always, pound pound pound.

Stick with what works for whom, though. That's the question. Do you stick with what works for your OC or your returning starters, or do you stick with what works for your incoming mercenary? It'll be interesting to see which they go with.

So does this mean you're a Badger fan?

Stick with what works for whom, though. That's the question. Do you stick with what works for your OC or your returning starters, or do you stick with what works for your incoming mercenary? It'll be interesting to see which they go with.

This is a big question. If Wisky can't figure out which way to go it could end up being a bad deal. I fully expect Wisky to continue operating as they have, but if that doesnt fit well with Wilson's style that could spell big trouble for them. Breaking in a new QB is always difficult, even more so one that hasnt been in your system. It's going to be feast or famine on this one I'm affraid and I am betting on famine when Big Red rolls in.

Well Knap, Bret came out of Iowa. He is one of those coaches. He is not dumb, I cant see him thinking lets change 6 or 8 players. I think, like I said it only changes on passing plays, and nothing will change accept for Wilson's ability to keep a play alive and if he had to, hold onto it and try and make a gain out of it.

I respect Wiskey. The Heartland is between Iowa and Wiskey. With the B10 ruining that rivalry, the only way for us to play each other this year is to do so in in the ccg. If we do play in the ccg, the Heartland will still be on the line.

i cant say that im even convinced that the guy will be the starter. i honestly hope he is because that has the potential to rip the team loyalties apart as well as i dont think he can run a pro style offense, its not as easy as just stepping under center and going. thats why a lot of spread qbs struggle mightily in the NFL.

The thing is, his running ability is vastly overrated. Against ACC defenses weak against the run he only averaged 2.98 YPC. That's hardly impressive.

Take a true dual-threat guy like Josh Freeman from KSU for a comparator. Freeman ran for 3.8 YPC his senior year and threw for 3,000 yards and 20 TDs. All comparable or better stats than Wilson. But Freeman had been in a system he understood for three years, while Wilson is moving to a new offense (despite the feel-good quote in the paper). It's just not going to be that easy for him, I think.

The thing is, his running ability is vastly overrated. Against ACC defenses weak against the run he only averaged 2.98 YPC. That's hardly impressive.

Take a true dual-threat guy like Josh Freeman from KSU for a comparator. Freeman ran for 3.8 YPC his senior year and threw for 3,000 yards and 20 TDs. All comparable or better stats than Wilson. But Freeman had been in a system he understood for three years, while Wilson is moving to a new offense (despite the feel-good quote in the paper). It's just not going to be that easy for him, I think.

I agree, it could be hard for him. It could end up being a big mistake. I dont know about going from a spread to pro thou. If he plays I would fully expect them to bring him up to speed slowly. More rush attempts early in the season, would allow him time to better understand the pro style AND (this is important), allow him time to realize he has a good O-line in front of him. Then he can relax a bit and get rid of the happy feet, scan the field better and set his feet to make the pass.

If he starts against Nebraska, I would not expect a whole lot out of him. I think Bret will use the running game early on, with hopes that when 3/4 of the year is done, Wilson will start hitting his stride. IMHO, thats the best shot they have.

If you dont think O-line's had anything to do with Stanzi's or Tolzien's numbers last year, I suggest you think again. Can Wilson grasp that fast enough is the biggest question.