Badger backers expect NU matchup to have memorable atmosphere

Mike Lucas has been covering Wisconsin athletics for 40 years. He's seen enough games that you'd forgive him if he didn't recall a couple collisions from four decades ago.

But bring up Nebraska and listen to him go. Yeah, there was that tussle in Lincoln in '73. That was the one where Selvie Washington returned a kick 96 yards for a touchdown in the final minutes to give the Badgers the lead.

"I remember how quiet that stadium that was," Lucas said.

And then ...

"And then David Humm engineered a scoring drive. Tony Davis was the tailback back then and we couldn't tackle him when it mattered the most."

Nebraska won it 20-16.

Then came the next fall in Madison. Humm left early with a hip injury. Wisconsin hung around. Down six, less than four minutes on the clock.

And then ...

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_848352c7-c772-5d89-bf67-7b6f6d9d49e2.html

"I think we're very similar to Nebraska," Murawski said in describing the passion for Wisconsin athletics. "We don't have pro teams right in our market. The Packers are up the road, but there are no other Division I football teams. This state is all about the Badgers just like Nebraska is all about the Huskers and Iowa is all about the Hawkeyes. ... We have a uniqueness that serves us well."

really?

cuz i would say that the Packers are a pretty big draw. What about Marquette bball? what about the Brewers? and what about Iowa State in Iowa?

it humors me that other programs try to relate their 'uniqueness' to what is TRULY unique about our team and state. not being a jerk to the guy, just sayin that in all reality, it's not real similar at all....

• Fire 1

"I think we're very similar to Nebraska," Murawski said in describing the passion for Wisconsin athletics. "We don't have pro teams right in our market. The Packers are up the road, but there are no other Division I football teams. This state is all about the Badgers just like Nebraska is all about the Huskers and Iowa is all about the Hawkeyes. ... We have a uniqueness that serves us well."

really?

cuz i would say that the Packers are a pretty big draw. What about Marquette bball? what about the Brewers? and what about Iowa State in Iowa?

it humors me that other programs try to relate their 'uniqueness' to what is TRULY unique about our team and state. not being a jerk to the guy, just sayin that in all reality, it's not real similar at all....

Don't forget the Milwaukee Bucks! lol...

Seriously, he's got no idea what the Husker football team is to the state of Nebraska. Not even in the slightest.

The really sick thing about this game is that both teams and their fans wear red...I think we need to consider doing a "black out" when we go to Wisconsin, so they can look across their stadium and know that Nebraska fans have shown up in mass. I only wish that Wisconsin could have been in the same division with us, or even was our rivalry game every year. I think it could have become our new "Oklahoma" game. Penn State will be fun, but IMHO, Wisconsin would have been soooo much more fun.

Lots of talk about Russell Wilson being a Heisman favorite and by far the best QB Wiscy has ever had.

Oh? lol. Who's doing the talking? Last I knew, the talk went a little something like this:

1. Andrew Luck

2. Kellen Moore

3. LaMichael James

4. Landry Jones

5. Justin Blackmon

35. Russell Wilson