NEW Name for the Offense

I keep hearing Beck refer to the offense as a mutt offense. And we keep hearing coachs and players talk about hard nose smack you in the mouth plays. I think the new offense should be called Junk Yard Dog. It should tough and it kinda combines what everyone keeps saying without trying to be all technical like the pistol or the spread or the WCO. JYD is the new kid on the block with nothing to lose and everything to prove. "Sick balls Chopper".

I don't see the deception angle from this offense. I mean sure we are gonna try and keep them from knowing what play we are gonna run, but I don't think we are gonna have 8 motions and run on 3rd and 15. I think we are gonna be much more like the defense with its read and react style which is similar to Peyton Manning style offense. We line up in say a pistol on say 2nd and 7 and the QB has say 2 runs and a a pass play to "choose" from. Then either he would run the original play or alter it based on a WR hand signal or hot route or by how the DE lines up. And when everyone is worried about the multiple phrase or whatever I think is just Becks way of leaving out information. I think by Multiple what he really means is options...as in option football, give the ball carrier the option to run pass or pitch/hand off based on how the play develops. Boot legs, speed options, FB traps, and Rex pitch and passes I would think are gonna be staples of the offense because they force teams to stay in assignments and few teams are disciplined enough to stop a multiple option team.

I just hope they'll use tmart in something besides the conventional pocket passer. It's a huge waste to have greased lightning stand like a statue.

Hey, a Z. Lee, Z. Taylor...sure. But c'mon......

This

Beck was adamant about tailoring the O to his players, I'd say this falls under that. TM obviously has to work-on and improve his pocket-presence but it won't go from weakness to strength. Plus as you said dude can fly.

Once I see Becks offense against a real defense, I will decide whether it deserves a name or not. Right now I have little faith it will be much different than what we have seen. I still find it hard to believe the best OC available was on the staff.

Bo has been right about most of his coaches, so I will give the benefit of the doubt at this time. After the Whisky game we will have a true idea of what his offense is, it might be detected during the Fresno or Washington game, but Wisconsin will be ready for bear when we get there. If we can move the ball at will, then the O needs a name, until then it is huge ? .

I just hope they'll use tmart in something besides the conventional pocket passer. It's a huge waste to have greased lightning stand like a statue.

Hey, a Z. Lee, Z. Taylor...sure. But c'mon......

I don't think you have anything to worry about. We all saw Taylor's pocket presence/decision making/mechanics last year...I am hopeful that they will be better this year, but I don't think that he could be a conventional pocket passer even if he wanted to. Lest we forget, his "conventional pocket passer" skills weren't what won him the job. It was the big play ability.

Baytown, if you don't like it come up with something else. That was the point of the thread, if you aren't imaginative enough to come up with something "cool" enough for other forum readers don't take it out on others who are trying to have a good time with the unknown that is Nebraska's offense. I mean I don't personally think that Junk Yard Dog is gonna seriously become the moniker for our offense but I thought combining Beck's use of the term "Mutt" in combination with various sources in and around the team saying we were gonna be scrappy and smash mouth was a pretty natural transition to what most people think of when they hear Junk Yard dog. So whats your name for the offense? or are you afraid to come up with something that gasp other people might judge you about?

Calm down young Ziggy...

I do like "mutt" much better than "multiple". multiple always sounded corporate to me...like they sat around in a meeting, decided on a name then distributed it to the media in a perfectly formatted memo. (after every coach signed their name in blood that it would be the only term used to describe our offense going forward)