Suh welcomes Andy Dalton to the NFL

Apathy

That has nothing to do with why the NFL is protecting the QB. It is about protecting the owner's large investments in QB's. It has everything to do with money and nothing to do with the player's well-being.

Personal injury litigation has to do with money, too. The NFL is looking at potentially huge financial liabilities tied directly to the well-being of the players you cite as irrelevant to owners. The two things are not mutually exclusive. The owners care about the well-being of the players because that affects the value of their investments.

I agree it has everything to do with money. That's why I stated earlier in this thread that the NFL is looking a litigious nightmare and acting accordingly. That's a money issue, not a humanist endeavor. And that extends to injuries involving players at every position, not just the percentage of money tied up in quarterback salaries.

I dunno. Has there ever been a successful judgement against one player for injuring another player? I think NFL players assume the risk when they step on the field.

That has nothing to do with why the NFL is protecting the QB. It is about protecting the owner's large investments in QB's. It has everything to do with money and nothing to do with the player's well-being.

Personal injury litigation has to do with money, too. The NFL is looking at potentially huge financial liabilities tied directly to the well-being of the players you cite as irrelevant to owners. The two things are not mutually exclusive. The owners care about the well-being of the players because that affects the value of their investments.

I agree it has everything to do with money. That's why I stated earlier in this thread that the NFL is looking a litigious nightmare and acting accordingly. That's a money issue, not a humanist endeavor. And that extends to injuries involving players at every position, not just the percentage of money tied up in quarterback salaries.

I dunno. Has there ever been a successful judgement against one player for injuring another player? I think NFL players assume the risk when they step on the field.

That's the crucial thing, and frankly, I'm playing devil's advocate a little here. I mean, they almost shut down the NFL for the season, and the key issues I heard discussed revolved around an 18 game regular season, (which actually did boil down to player safety) the financial records of NFL teams and the lack of transparency (claimed the players association) and a rookie salary cap.

We didn't hear a ton about injured ex-players, did we?

That's the crucial thing, and frankly, I'm playing devil's advocate a little here. I mean, they almost shut down the NFL for the season, and the key issues I heard discussed revolved around an 18 game regular season, (which actually did boil down to player safety) the financial records of NFL teams and the lack of transparency (claimed the players association) and a rookie salary cap.

We didn't hear a ton about injured ex-players, did we?

You have remarkable timing on your NFL personal injury litigation post above, Nebula. This article appeared on CBSSports.com just now:

McMahon, ex-players sue NFL, claim negligence over concussions

Seven former players have sued the NFL in Philadelphia over the league's handling of concussion-related injuries, the first potential class-action lawsuit of its kind. The players accuse the league of training players to lead with their heads, failing to properly treat them for concussions and trying to conceal any links between football and brain injuries.LINK

I hope they lose. It would be one thing to say "here drink this cyanide, it won't kill you" and this. They know it is a dangerous sport and that is why they get paid the high amount. It is them that want to go back out as soon as they can after a concussion to get their reputation up so they can make more money later.

No sympathy from me. I pay the high ticket prices to watch them put on a show. They, themselves, don't have to make sure the curtains go up.

Read this on another board (talking about the Tampa Bay Bucs):

One of our offensive lineman apparently got ejected tonight, for guess what..

bcarter60 Brandon Carter

"Ejected from the game for... Get this.... Word for word from the ref "#60 you're out of here you're being TOO PHYSICAL" no penalty though???"

lol NFL

I guess Demaurice Smith and the NFLPA failed to get enough movement to satisfy the likes of McMahon.

Now they have to play the lawyer game, though. And 9 billion annually probably translates into a phalanx of top-tier attorneys. You've got to think the ex-players will be at a disadvantage in regards to legal representation.

This could evolve into something bigger, or the NFL might grind these guys down and get them to settle. I'm totally ambivalent on the whole thing. I feel for a guy who can't eat soup by himself because he is shaking too hard to hold a spoon steady. I also see the viewpoint that these guys know what they are signing up for when they put their name on the dotted line. It's a complicated deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched part of the Detroit game tonight and saw Suh get into two fights after plays. In one of them he punched a guy. I don't like seeing that. Maybe people are talking more sh*t to him now that he's a "dirty player" but he needs to control himself better, imo. I always liked him because he wasn't the guy who did stupid things.

Watched part of the Detroit game tonight and saw Suh get into two fights after plays. In one of them he punched a guy. I don't like seeing that. Maybe people are talking more sh*t to him now that he's a "dirty player" but he needs to control himself better, imo. I always liked him because he wasn't the guy who did stupid things.

I saw the one and he was just sticking up for his teammate that got in a scuffle with ano-lineman. I didn't see the other one, but I'm fine that he was sticking up for his teammate.

I saw the one and he was just sticking up for his teammate that got in a scuffle with ano-lineman. I didn't see the other one, but I'm fine that he was sticking up for his teammate.

So it's okay to punch someone (actually it was a shove, then jab, then punch) and get a 15 yard penalty just because his teammate is in a shoving match? (the only reason there was no penalty was because the refs weren't looking). If it had been a situation like that guy trying to tear Burkhead's head off, fine, but it was nothing like that. Just a couple light shoves and yelling at each other. If he decides to stick up for his teammates every time they're having words with the other team he'll get penalized every play. He should have stayed out of it and let the guy deal with it.

I actually disliked the scuffles a lot more than the supposed "dirty" play because he's in complete control of his actions at that point and it's 100% mental/emotional, not running at someone in the heat of the moment.

So it's okay to punch someone (actually it was a shove, then jab, then punch) and get a 15 yard penalty just because his teammate is in a shoving match? (the only reason there was no penalty was because the refs weren't looking). If it had been a situation like that guy trying to tear Burkhead's head off, fine, but it was nothing like that. Just a couple light shoves and yelling at each other. If he decides to stick up for his teammates every time they're having words with the other team he'll get penalized every play. He should have stayed out of it and let the guy deal with it.

I actually disliked the scuffles a lot more than the supposed "dirty" play because he's in complete control of his actions at that point and it's 100% mental/emotional, not running at someone in the heat of the moment.

In my opinion (not singling out you, it goes for everybody), the day one of us has more freakish athletic ability than Suh is when we will be able to criticize his style of play. For now, if that's how he feels he needs to play and be aggressive... Good luck stopping him.

I didn't see him throw a punch, all I saw was him trying to push Mankins away. So would rather have had him just let his teammate get mauled and not help him? I don't know about you but if I was his teammate, I would respect him even more cause I know he would always have my back. Should he have done it? Probably not, but I'm not gonna fault him for feeling that he should stick up for one of his teammates.

I didn't see him throw a punch, all I saw was him trying to push Mankins away. So would rather have had him just let his teammate get mauled and not help him? I don't know about you but if I was his teammate, I would respect him even more cause I know he would always have my back. Should he have done it? Probably not, but I'm not gonna fault him for feeling that he should stick up for one of his teammates.

No such thing was happening. They were jawing and doing a bit of shoving. His teammate was in no danger of getting "mauled" and as I said, this was the 2nd such fight in the game that Suh involved himself in. It's something I've never seen from him before. He always just let his actions (on the field) speak for themselves. For the record, this is like a minor annoyance to me and I'd probably defend him anywhere else but here. To the post above yours, telling people not to comment if they don't have the same athletic ability as the player is always a bad argument.

No such thing was happening. They were jawing and doing a bit of shoving. His teammate was in no danger of getting "mauled" and as I said, this was the 2nd such fight in the game that Suh involved himself in. It's something I've never seen from him before. He always just let his actions (on the field) speak for themselves. For the record, this is like a minor annoyance to me and I'd probably defend him anywhere else but here. To the post above yours, telling people not to comment if they don't have the same athletic ability as the player is always a bad argument.

Get over it. He's become the "enforcer" of sorts-as he should be.