Suh welcomes Andy Dalton to the NFL

Apathy

Oh, to be clear, I wasn't really directing the tone of that post at you. More so at the announcers and that general line of thought in general. I am actually very much in the "the game's different now, players need to tone it down" camp (that you aren't in ;)). But Suh is just making his tackle with a little bit of harmless flair, something that makes it look kinda bad, but I don't think it is really.

I don't think the play was over though. Suh got to him and could either push him forward (or should I say, "punch" :P) or wrap up and tug him down, which is what he did. I think it was the smart choice to wrap up and not give your prey any chance of just slipping out of your grasp. And it's a safer choice than just bowling the guy over and crashing both into the ground as well.

I agree that Suh needs to change a bit, just to avoid these flags. I think these flags are unnecessary though, and a disservice to the safety movement they purportedly represent. Osborne's completely legal takedown of Tannehill last year was far more vicious and endangering than this rather tame takedown.

Of course I'm not familiar with the law of the game and the latest clauses they've added or changed. What rule is he blatantly breaking? "Do not sack quarterbacks" is the only one I can imagine.

Haha I never took it personally. Damn emotionless blanket that is the interwebs 8) Just clarifying my thought. Theres a difference between spearing somebody in the neck and ending their career, and just flat out hitting somebody hard. I'm all about keeping people safe, but at what expense of taking the physicality out of a physical game?

I agree though, that suh's tackle was in no way endagering the qb. I'm also not familiar with any specific rules, just refering to the "saftey movement" in general.

I got to see that in person last night...the Detroit crowd has embraced him fully. The boos at the ref for that call were deafening, especially for a preseason game.

While the aggressive play has led to a few penalties, I think it has led to improvement by the whole Lions defense. They were flying to the ball. Granted, it was just the Bengals, but Suh is rubbing off on the rest of the team. They will be in the playoffs, if not this year, then soon.

• Fire 1

Why don't you suppose he did stuff like this at NU? It seems like something that's developed since he got to the league. The closest I could ever see was when he got flagged for "slamming the quarterback into the ground" against Baylor, but that was a much different kind of tackle.

Why don't you suppose he did stuff like this at NU? It seems like something that's developed since he got to the league. The closest I could ever see was when he got flagged for "slamming the quarterback into the ground" against Baylor, but that was a much different kind of tackle.

He did, although quarterbacks were more mobile in college and had a lot more space around them to try and get away. This is the same type of tackle as Gabbert's monsoon game fumble or McCoy getting thrown 10 yards was. Its just that when Dalton tried to get away his other lineman was pushed into him (knocking his helmet off and pushing him back into Suh so he got wrapped up around the chest/shoulders instead of mid section...