Some Things Everyone Should Know About Rick Perry

Some of y'all seemed to enjoy my Big 12 Power Rankings last fall, so I thought I'd share this article I wrote up on Rick Perry. I don't normally do politics, but Perry warrants an exception.

http://texarcher.wordpress.com/2011/08/18/some-things-everyone-should-know-about-rick-perry/

Interesting

I like the "60% of Texans voted for Perry because he had an R by his name" I am afraid that this will happen in 2012. I cannot find one candidate that I agree with 50% of what they stand for and then like them personally. I would like to support my candidate in at least 75% of major issues.

He's from Texas, that's all I need to know. I grew up in Texas, thankfully moved away when I was 14.

Anyway, I gave your site a glance. Saying he actually advocated secession is a bit iffy. It's important to be accurate for stuff like this.

He's from Texas, that's all I need to know. I grew up in Texas, thankfully moved away when I was 14.

Anyway, I gave your site a glance. Saying he actually advocated secession is a bit iffy. It's important to be accurate for stuff like this.

Dammit, thats what I was gonna say

Saying he actually advocated secession is a bit iffy. It's important to be accurate for stuff like this.

I said that he advocated Texas's right to secede, not that he advocating actually doing it. He's said more than once that Texas can withdraw from the Union if Washington keeps overstepping its bounds and so on. It's all posturing and grandstanding, of course, but I don't want a president who has ever even thought in such terms while leading one of the states.

- Texas just spent $3.5 million to renovate the Capitol building last year. The average salary for teachers in Texas is $41,744. So 83 teachers could have kept their jobs this year had that money been spent on them instead of on shining up the Capitol dome. Ah, who cares, we’re 49th in verbal SAT scores and 46th in math SAT scores. That’s good enough, right?

Wow. You guys are 49th in verbal and 46th in math SAT scores. That's pretty bad. Maybe Perry didn't give your teachers more money because they are doing such a crappy job.

- Texas just spent $3.5 million to renovate the Capitol building last year. The average salary for teachers in Texas is $41,744. So 83 teachers could have kept their jobs this year had that money been spent on them instead of on shining up the Capitol dome. Ah, who cares, we’re 49th in verbal SAT scores and 46th in math SAT scores. That’s good enough, right?

Wow. You guys are 49th in verbal and 46th in math SAT scores. That's pretty bad. Maybe Perry didn't give your teachers more money because they are doing such a crappy job.

Or maybe they're so crappy because they aren't given enough money?

Or maybe they're so crappy because they aren't given enough money?

Not dogging you BBB12, but...

Or because there are no laws or state oversight of budgets at the district level?

Or perhaps because Texas has been more concerned with rewriting history and science books instead of providing them for classrooms?

Or perhaps because Texas switched to standardized testing as the sole factor for determining advancement, and thus teachers are prescribed by districts to teach only to the test, and nothing more?

Or perhaps because state and local laws prevent teachers from being in control of their classrooms?

Or perhaps because the state is infatuated with giving state tax money earmarked for education to religious charter schools instead of actually funding the existing public schools?

Or perhaps because Perry tried to take out death policies on teachers in Texas so the state could collect the policy money...without their knowledge or consent, thus creating and perpetuating an aura of distrust between the state and educators?

Or perhaps because Perry tried to remove the 22 to 1 student/teacher ratios and was in support of upwards of 30 to 1 ratios?

That's just off the top of my head--sure I can recall more. In short, Perry is an idiot who has sunk education much lower than those piss-poor statistics above can tell us.

The best thing about this campaign is that Perry is out of Texas. The worst thing about this campaign is that enough idiots could get together and vote him into office.

• Fire 2

Saying he actually advocated secession is a bit iffy. It's important to be accurate for stuff like this.

I said that he advocated Texas's right to secede, not that he advocating actually doing it. He's said more than once that Texas can withdraw from the Union if Washington keeps overstepping its bounds and so on. It's all posturing and grandstanding, of course, but I don't want a president who has ever even thought in such terms while leading one of the states.

Texas doesn't have a right to secede

Any state that doesn't want to be a part of the USA should have the right to secede. After all the USA is nothing without the states. How would you feel if Nebraska didn't have the right to leave the Big 12? But while the Federal government will object, Texas does have the right to secede. It's all about choice. The Federal Government won't enforce some laws and then punish states who enforce those same Federal Laws. That is what most people are pissed about.

Any state that doesn't want to be a part of the USA should have the right to secede. After all the USA is nothing without the states. How would you feel if Nebraska didn't have the right to leave the Big 12? But while the Federal government will object, Texas does have the right to secede. It's all about choice. The Federal Government won't enforce some laws and then punish states who enforce those same Federal Laws. That is what most people are pissed about.

This fight was fought (literally) and lost about 150 years ago. About a half million people died as a result. Federal supremacy won.

• Fire 1