Tmart said a dumb thing

WYHusk

Personally, I think Taylor Martinez is a college kid who, not unlike any time prior, is uncomfortable in an interview setting. Furthermore, they're all coached on how to do deal with the media, and it might surprise just how often they're thinking about this during an interview. It leads to stale answers or answers that really don't make a lot of sense sometimes.

Regardless, he just wants to win a championship like every other kid who plays at a major division one school. I think you're looking into something way too deeply.

Having been on radio and TV many times myself, being interviewed is a very difficult thing. You're trying to answer the question, thinking about what you can say in three or four sentences and at the same time you're not trying to sound dumb. Then you get halfway through your talking points and you start to wonder if you are even answering the question that was just asked. Its very easy to veer off or get tongue tied, or say something that doesn't make sense. Then if you get the same question asked a different way you're trying to be nice and say something different so people don't think you're an ass by repeating what you just said when in reality you want to call out the person asking you the question by asking him if he heard your response the first time you answered the question.

Okay, I like Tmart and all but this is a stupid thing to say on many levels:

"I think as a team right now we're not really striving for a Big Ten championship, we're striving for a national championship," Martinez said. "If we accomplish the national championship, everything else will fall into place."

Besides the locker room fodder and the setting of ridiculously high expectations, I want to know - what else can possibly fall in place, AFTER you win the natl title? That doesn't even make sense. Like, he will find himself fulfilled as a human being, or what?

I guess how you come down on this depends on how big a Kool-Aid drinker you are. After last year, I am going to refrain from imbibing. The last couple seasons have cost me too many years of my life.

Geesh......what do you want him to say?

"I hope we have a winning record!"? "We'll be lucky to win eight games!"? "Playing in the NC game is too scary for me!"?

I think your response to a kid who wants to win all the marbles is.....sad......on many levels.

• Fire 1

I don't understand the point of this thread. A few others have hit it on the head. Is there a team out there that strives to win anything less than a MNC? Hell, even the UTC Mocs field a team every year with the ultimate goal of winning a championship. No coach or starting QB is going to say "our goal this year is to provide entertainment to our crowds, and hopefully we meet the budget," but this is what 98% of teams in D-1A are actually doing. The kid probably didn't nail it grammatically, but it's pretty obvious what his intentions were.

Personally, I think Taylor Martinez is a college kid who, not unlike any time prior, is uncomfortable in an interview setting. Furthermore, they're all coached on how to do deal with the media, and it might surprise just how often they're thinking about this during an interview. It leads to stale answers or answers that really don't make a lot of sense sometimes.

Regardless, he just wants to win a championship like every other kid who plays at a major division one school. I think you're looking into something way too deeply.

Having been on radio and TV many times myself, being interviewed is a very difficult thing. You're trying to answer the question, thinking about what you can say in three or four sentences and at the same time you're not trying to sound dumb. Then you get halfway through your talking points and you start to wonder if you are even answering the question that was just asked. Its very easy to veer off or get tongue tied, or say something that doesn't make sense. Then if you get the same question asked a different way you're trying to be nice and say something different so people don't think you're an ass by repeating what you just said when in reality you want to call out the person asking you the question by asking him if he heard your response the first time you answered the question.

Exactly. As a broadcast major I know how tough it can be to ask questions and answer questions. People make it sound easy, especially the people who seem like they're just having a conversation. In reality it is a difficult thing to get the hang of.

90% of interviews now-a-days have someone mis-speaking. There are sooo many cliches that get tossed around sooo often that kids don't really even think about what they're saying. I guarantee most kids wouldn't understand what was wrong with what he said, they don't think about what the cliche is actually saying, they just know what it means in general and roll with it.

My guess would be you were sitting there today specifically waiting for Taylor to say something 'stupid', because Bo, Jared and Carl all mis-spoke as well but you haven't mentioned them for some reason...