Crick for Heisman

NUance

Six non-QBs, RBs or WRs who deserve some Heisman hype

Andy Staples, Inside College Football, Posted: Wednesday August 31, 2011 cnnsi.com

Jared Crick, DT, Nebraska: Stop me if you've heard this one before. An unusually large, unusually quick Cornhuskers defensive tackle passes on a potential first-round draft slot to return to Lincoln for his senior season. If Crick even comes close to the 2009 production of former teammate Ndamukong Suh -- the first recipient of a husky-sized Heisman campaign from SI.com -- the 6-foot-6, 285-pounder might find himself headed to New York in December.

LINK

We all know a D-lineman won't win the Heisman. But I like seeing Crick get some recognition. I hope, after the great year he's going to have, that he at least gets invited to NY for the ceremony.

Crick's good, but I don't think he's quite on Suh's level. I guarantee he'll be a finalist for a lot of trophies this year, but I don't think the Heisman will be one of them.

Couldn't agree more. You don't have to completely change your game plan for this guy. Suh was a freak and should have won it hands down. But I guess if you have to see a lineman get it for the body of Suh's work it might as well be Crick. I mean Crouch owes his Heisman to Tommie getting the shaft.

Crick's good, but I don't think he's quite on Suh's level. I guarantee he'll be a finalist for a lot of trophies this year, but I don't think the Heisman will be one of them.

Exactly. Suh has an uncommon combination of speed, agility, strength and know-how. Not only was Suh one of - if not the - strongest guys on the team, but he also had speed extremely uncharacteristic for his position. How many DT's today, or even in the past, could chase down Colt McCoy like Suh did? Not many.

Crick is going to have a good season, but not better than Suh's. That said, Crick very well could be the best player by the end of the season, but as we all know it doesn't necessarily mean he's going to win the Heisman.

• Fire 1

Couldn't agree more. You don't have to completely change your game plan for this guy. Suh was a freak and should have won it hands down. But I guess if you have to see a lineman get it for the body of Suh's work it might as well be Crick. I mean Crouch owes his Heisman to Tommie getting the shaft.

Yeah, it had nothing to do with his body of work as a football player... :) He was the most dangerous football player on the offensive side of the ball period when he won the Heisman.

I think if anyone had a crystal ball and been able to see how dominant Suh would be in the NFL he would have easily won the Heisman.

I'm not saying Crick is as dominant as Suh. But who is? I'll bet we see a different Crick this year. I think he's gained some muscle in the offseason. And not lost a step. I hope Carl lines him up at DE some this year. He's a natural. DE is what Crick will play on Sundays next year.

I think if anyone had a crystal ball and been able to see how dominant Suh would be in the NFL he would have easily won the Heisman.

If we won that game against Texas, he would have moved up a few spots in the voting. Crick is not going to get the same attention that Suh did late in his career. Crick is an outstanding D lineman but few D lineman could change a game like Suh did...an impossible act to follow.

I'm not saying Crick is as dominant as Suh. But who is? I'll bet we see a different Crick this year. I think he's gained some muscle in the offseason. And not lost a step. I hope Carl lines him up at DE some this year. He's a natural. DE is what Crick will play on Sundays next year.

I agree, Suh was, at the very least, a once-in-a-generation player. As for Crick, I definitely hope to see some improvement from Crick. He's more than capable of being a dominant D lineman, and I'd say he's on the verge of being elite.

I'm not worried about whether or not Crick's in the Heisman running, I just want to see him knock some heads around. :bonez

Nothing against Crick, but I don't see him getting invited to New York. Suh had to basically turn in the performance of a lifetime at the B12 CCG to get invited, and unless Crick can pull off a similar performance in a big game in front of a national crowd, it ain't gonna happen.

I don't know why everyone is saying that Crick cannot have a Suh-like season. I understand how rare and special of a player Suh was, but I just got done comparing Suh's junior year stats to Crick's. Suh had a few more tackles than Crick, but Crick had a few more sacks than Suh. The real difference was Suh's special teams performance(and Suh had 2 interceptions). And I think Crick is going to have more help on the D-line this year than Suh did his senior. I'm not saying that Crick will have a season like Suh, or even that I think that he will. But Crick is very capable IMO.

Crick is a hell of a talent, but Suh was a once in a decade/two decade type of phenom. How many rookies walk into the NFL and start blowing up veteran o-linemen immediately?

If Crick is even going to approach Suh-like production, he's going to need his fellow tackle (be that Steinkuhler or any one of the other vaunted DT's waiting in the wings) to become a force on his own.

I'd love to see Baker take that next step. If he does, look out folks.

EDIT: I should have said Suh-like impact. Crick has had strong production in terms of stats ever since he's been a starter.