What did we learn???

walksalone

1. We need Dennard back and I mean yesterday. The sooner we shut down half the field, the better.

2. The defense is mortal after all. Line got basically no pressure and was endlessly exposed on simple rollouts.

3. O-line is self-explanatory, though they did show up at the end.

4. Taylor is a reckless quarterback with no ability to handle a football and will account for half a million turnovers before the season is over or he's benched. The real criticism will start coming when his athleticism against inferior opponents no longer outweighs his mistakes against superior ones.

5. We weren't the only team to struggle today, but national championship teams aren't led for forty minutes by a soggy opponent like this. Alabama left a stain where Penn State used to be and LSU murderated Oregon on opening night. Nebraska is severely, severely overrated. Forget looking to Wisconsin. That team that humiliated us in the bowl game last year is coming to town next weekend. My guess is they'll be practicing rollouts until a QB blows a knee or they win by three touchdowns.

6. Ameer Abdullah. Enough said.

7. Brandon Kinnie, I dub thee Niles the Second. May you look helplessly at your hands forever.

8. Justin Blatchford. Enough said...the other way.

9. Sexy Rexy will kill'em if they're not putting nine in the box.

10. Tim Beck––you're more Watson than anyone is comfortable with at this point. I hope you succeed. Consider my skepticism of you unchanged.

I haven't read all of the posts, but you pretty much hit it on the head.

I really like number four. I want to add to it though. There seems to be alot of defenders for Martinez on the board, but what they forget is this exact story played out last year. Yeah, he's great for some big plays against inferior athletes. Anyone remember Texas? He was SHUTDOWN and was not injured then. Why? Because Texas, while their team didn't do too swell in 2010, has great athletes on it. They basically took away the only edge Martinez has: outrunning the defense. Without that, he's pretty useless. Yeah, it may be harsh, but just how I see it. Unfortunately, we don't have anyone better to step up.

Ameer is a beast. Loved that kid coming in and he's pretty much as advertised. I wish he would get a few more touches on offense, but great call putting him as a returner. He will be a fun one to watch.

That Texas game was all about them selling out to stop Tmart's runs. They did that & left our wrs WIDE OPEN everywhere. Tmart and then Lee both hit our wrs hands over & over the whole damn game but they dropped the passes everywhere.

To pin that game on Tmart is.....well, never mind.

GBR!!

1) Taylor Martinez is fast again. That's pretty cool.

2) He's also a better passer than Eric Crouch ever was. Funny how we forget that. Few years ago this kind of passing game would have thrilled us. Martinez still needs to calm down and take control, which he did in the second half.

3) No sustained drive with a running back going straight into the line. Except that last drive when we needed it most.

4) Youth is being served and non-performers like Kinnie will be taking a seat. This season may be rough, but maybe we shouldn't have looked at it as more than a still-transitioning year. And these guys are already entertaining.

5) For some reason serving youth doesn't mean running backs. No player not named Burkhead or Helu has gotten meaningful carries the last three years.

6) The defense was humbled. They got their wake-up call and we still notched a win. If they're not pumped and out for blood this Saturday, then we have a problem.

7) Beck called essentially the same game Watson called early last year, except for the vertical bombs which we'd be screaming about had Watson called them. And yeah, funny to see folks calling for slants and short routes when the same plays drove them mad last year. It will be hard to draw up any game plan that doesn't involve an offensive line playing well.

8) Fresno State is better than Washington. There was no reason for fans or team to look past this game.

9) Bo Pelini teams play tight and twitchy in home games they're supposed to win. When a whole team isn't executing well, and no player on the sideline looks riled or urgent, the head coach needs to accept some of the heat.

10) Still.....end of the first half. Fresno State scores. Huskers are reeling. :30 left and all the announcers saying Nebraska should take a knee and regroup in the locker room. But they take their shot and come about five yards from getting that field goal back. That showed some character. Good call. (better call would have had Maher going for broke)

11) I can count to eleven.

NU didn't lose to UT because of Martinez.

I never even said that nor did I hint at it. Do people read in here? My point is when Martinez faces athletic defenses, his edge that he has (being able to outrun opponents) as a QB is taken away.

His. Receivers. Dropped. Several. Catchable. Touchdowns. Against. Texas.

You ask if people read around here. I'm going to ask - do you watch the games? Outrunning opponents isn't Martinez' only ability.

We have ONE quarterback right now. And people are still looking to replace him. Unreal.

That ONE quarterback also had pretty much similar, if not better, stats as a freshman than Crouch did as a senior. I really don't know what the hell people want.

I'm with you guys, the kid is a sophmore for ***** sake! He's getting there, I betcha he does just fine over the next few years and is the first 4 year starter we've had for a long time.

What struck me was how FS coaches surprised the Husker

coaching staff on both sides of the line of scrimmage

and how slow they were to make adjustments. That has to improve.

I expect a sophomore QB and other new players to screw up.

That's just how it is. It takes time.

Crick is a senior and his play was disappointing to say the least.

http://nebraska.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1264297

Listen to Carl. Many questions will be answered.

Carl is not very happy.

" Lavonte and Will both had 15 tackles..."

" Did not play well, I don't care where those tackles were made. We don't go by statistics."

Hopefully Carl brings them down to earth and we see the defense we know they can be on Saturday.

I really like number four. I want to add to it though. There seems to be alot of defenders for Martinez on the board, but what they forget is this exact story played out last year. Yeah, he's great for some big plays against inferior athletes. Anyone remember Texas? He was SHUTDOWN and was not injured then. Why? Because Texas, while their team didn't do too swell in 2010, has great athletes on it. They basically took away the only edge Martinez has: outrunning the defense. Without that, he's pretty useless. Yeah, it may be harsh, but just how I see it. Unfortunately, we don't have anyone better to step up.

Maybe there wouldn't be so many "Martinez defenders" if people didn't blatantly make things up to disparage him. Unless you actually consider getting the ball in his receiver's hands "pretty usless", then I can't help you. It's on the receivers to catch it.

• Fire 1

NU didn't lose to UT because of Martinez.

I never even said that nor did I hint at it. Do people read in here? My point is when Martinez faces athletic defenses, his edge that he has (being able to outrun opponents) as a QB is taken away.

His. Receivers. Dropped. Several. Catchable. Touchdowns. Against. Texas.

You ask if people read around here. I'm going to ask - do you watch the games? Outrunning opponents isn't Martinez' only ability.

We have ONE quarterback right now. And people are still looking to replace him. Unreal.

That ONE quarterback also had pretty much similar, if not better, stats as a freshman than Crouch did as a senior. I really don't know what the hell people want.

I'm with you guys, the kid is a sophmore for ***** sake! He's getting there, I betcha he does just fine over the next few years and is the first 4 year starter we've had for a long time.

Yes, he is also an expert on holding the ball like a newborn baby and putting it on the turf multiple times per game.

• Fire 1

Surely I'm not the only one who remembers the big criticism of Tommie Frazier, "He holds the ball like a loaf of bread!"

If I had a dollar for every time I heard that line I'd own Puerto Rico.

You can buy Puerto Rico for 18 bucks?

My only major problem that I'd ever had with him, is the decision making. But that comes with experience, this I understand.