More Kudos to the fans

HuskerDens

That's the problem. Our normal isn't very loud anymore. I sat in the front of east stadium student section and spent most of the game just trying to amp up the rest of the student section. Go and listen to the Oklahoma game two years ago. That's how we need to be all the time.

We're not going to be "Oklahoma loud" every game, though. It's not reasonable to expect the stadium to be rocking when we play Middle Directional State College. Nobody gets amped for those games. Right, wrong or indifferent, almost nobody thought we'd have a four-quarter game against Fresno, either, so they weren't all jacked up early on. It got loud later on, right?

According to Rivals, Nebraska ranked sixth in the nation in season ticket cost last year – but that's a bit of a misapprehension of the total cost, since the minimum donation of $150 will only get your name on the waiting list, where you'll stay for years just giving $150 a year. When you factor in the real cost of a season ticket, they get priced out of the range of most younger people pretty quickly. Hence you have an older, more affluent crowd rather than a younger, more energetic crowd.

I think the East Stadium skyboxes will help focus sound quite a bit, making the place louder, but even still I doubt we ever get close to Husky Stadium or Autzen or places famed for their noise. Our crowd is old. Older people yell less, on average.

I know we won't get jacked for all the Middle Directional State, but when games get close we don't know how to turn it on. We have a hard time clicking into loud when things getting dicey. Most of the time we turn to booing and going we suck instead of getting jacked. Look at SDSU. We thought it would be a blowout and when it didn't, instead of getting loud, we just start commenting about how bad we suck. The stadium never seemed to get loud at all.

I do hope on the other hand that the new sky boxes help keep the sound in better.

What bugs me is that people think it's different at other top venues...you really think Happy Valley, The Swamp, etc. are all electric and breaking the sound barrier against cupcake teams?

Memorial is not the loudest venue in CFB, it's not quite elite, but it's upper echelon in terms of crowd noise, and it's just as loud as anywhere else when it needs to be.

What bugs me is that people think it's different at other top venues...you really think Happy Valley, The Swamp, etc. are all electric and breaking the sound barrier against cupcake teams?

Memorial is not the loudest venue in CFB, it's not quite elite, but it's upper echelon in terms of crowd noise, and it's just as loud as anywhere else when it needs to be.

No, but when the games get close, they know enough to get loud, even against directional schools playing above their talent level. Even the blue-hairs get in on the act in those places.

Ours are content to tune out the bad performance and discuss domestic matters, as if they're preferring to ignore the missteps of a child in their care, hoping they soon grow out of it.

This is why I actually have more fun at away games. The crowd that travels is different then the one in Lincoln. Been to the last 3 games at K state and we never sat down and yelled our brains out.

This is true. I love going to Lincoln for a gameday, there's nothing like it (as long as I'm in the student section). However, road games are completely different and a lot of fun. I've never sat at an away game other than the last two CCGs, simply because I had a buddy get some pretty good tickets and was getting along with the older folks around me too well to p*ss them off. They stood a majority of the game anyway.

I think it would be a lot louder if NU was playing well and it was a close game. I will cheer if we are playing well and it's close, but if we are playing bad against a team we should beat easily and its close, I just get pissed off and don't want to cheer (South Dakota State comes to mind).

To me that's a perfect definition of a bandwagon fan. Why would you not be loud when the team needs you the most?

I think it would be a lot louder if NU was playing well and it was a close game. I will cheer if we are playing well and it's close, but if we are playing bad against a team we should beat easily and its close, I just get pissed off and don't want to cheer (South Dakota State comes to mind).

To me that's a perfect definition of a bandwagon fan. Why would you not be loud when the team needs you the most?

I know how it sounds, and I made it sound worse than it really is. I generally cheer most of the game and have a raspy voice the next day. I don't give 100% if the team is playing terrible. I shouldn't have to inspire them to play well every play, they should inspire me to cheer loud through their play. It should be a give and take of sorts, but they are taking more than they are giving at this point and I think most people would agree with that statement at this point in the season. I'm a die hard husker so please don't question my fandom :).

:bonesflag:

It's more out of frustration that people stop getting so involved in the game. I mean really....when we played the Holiday Bowl last year I was ready to turn it off at halftime. I didn't but I don't even consider turning a game off very often. When the players don't appear to care why would the fans?

And watching the game I saw plenty of middle aged and older people yelling. As far as the blue hairs....they've put in their time and literally paid their dues so they should be able to enjoy the game the way they see fit...within reason of course but that's why there simply has to be compromise from both arguments.

Let's be real. I'm usually in the student section as I'm loud and will never act old. That said I sat in north stadium for utc and it was lame. Fresno I was in student section and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was loud and excitable. Our fans need to realize how sad it is to sit for a game. Stand up and freakin shout. Any top 25 team should have an insane home advantage....we don't anymore. During utc I moved from north to northwest where my parents sit to say hi and stood and yelled and had three people tellineg me to sit down and be quiet. Sorry bluehairs....its time to restore memorial stadium volume. Crank it up!

Problem is those same bluehairs will call security and have you removed which is a bunch of B.S. I'd have a hardtime not coming unglued on security if they tried to remove me from the stadium after how much I spent on tickets and I'm a cop. I've never had anyone tell me to sit down and be quiet which is probably a good thing............I'd probably lose my cool.

While I agree that stadium security should not be telling anyone to be quiet or sitdown, I find it a little disturbing that you claim to be a cop and that you would probably lose your cool. Hopefully that is just some blustering on your part. The sad fact is that NU has sold out to the almighty dollar. Our stadium could/should be much louder and a more intimidating place for visiting teams to play. Our crowd is too geriatrically inclined. A good place to begin changing that would be to guarantee ALL students tickets that want them. It is sad and unacceptable that there are students being denied tickets while gram and gramps bluehair are wheeled into the stadium only to rub ice on their wrists to keep from overheating. And, while some disagree, we can be louder and more hostile AND maintain good sportsmanship and a friendly atmosphere all at the same time.

Let's be real. I'm usually in the student section as I'm loud and will never act old. That said I sat in north stadium for utc and it was lame. Fresno I was in student section and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was loud and excitable. Our fans need to realize how sad it is to sit for a game. Stand up and freakin shout. Any top 25 team should have an insane home advantage....we don't anymore. During utc I moved from north to northwest where my parents sit to say hi and stood and yelled and had three people tellineg me to sit down and be quiet. Sorry bluehairs....its time to restore memorial stadium volume. Crank it up!

Problem is those same bluehairs will call security and have you removed which is a bunch of B.S. I'd have a hardtime not coming unglued on security if they tried to remove me from the stadium after how much I spent on tickets and I'm a cop. I've never had anyone tell me to sit down and be quiet which is probably a good thing............I'd probably lose my cool.

While I agree that stadium security should not be telling anyone to be quiet or sitdown, I find it a little disturbing that you claim to be a cop and that you would probably lose your cool. Hopefully that is just some blustering on your part. The sad fact is that NU has sold out to the almighty dollar. Our stadium could/should be much louder and a more intimidating place for visiting teams to play. Our crowd is too geriatrically inclined. A good place to begin changing that would be to guarantee ALL students tickets that want them. It is sad and unacceptable that there are students being denied tickets while gram and gramps bluehair are wheeled into the stadium only to rub ice on their wrists to keep from overheating. And, while some disagree, we can be louder and more hostile AND maintain good sportsmanship and a friendly atmosphere all at the same time.

Just because he is a police officer means he cant have an emotion that any other person with a spine would have?

I don't think all other elite venues are louder, week in and week out, but I do think Memorial Stadium has generally dropped a few clicks on the decibel meter. I went to school at NU in the early 80's (Gill, Rozier, Fryar days) when it was only 76,000 and it was a little different than my last handful of trips to Mecca. Sure I was in the student section and we were uhhh you might say "well lubricated" for the game but, it was a little different than recently. The layout and acoustics in Mem Stadium don't lend themselves well to us being the loudest place on earth. We simply can't compete with places like Happy Valley or the Big House without extraordinary fan effort. But, when our fans want to they can sure generate enough noise to give the opp team fits. Coincidentally the loudest place I have ever been for a college game was at Washington back in about 91. Their protruding roofs held the noise down on the field and coupled with the siren they had well, my ears hurt. We sure can't expect Notre Dame at Michigan noise like last week but we should be doing better than we are. I say get more students in there and get them back down on the field between the 20's where they belong. If the bluehairs need a seat, move them back and into the endzones.

Just because he is a police officer means he cant have an emotion that any other person with a spine would have?

I don't want to get off on a tangent here but, basically yes. As a cop, he should be able to better control his emotions. Being in law enforcement, he will be exposed to more dire situations than dealing with stadium security personnel. If he was going to lose his cool over that exchange, I would hate to see how he might react with Joe Citizen when they say the wrong thing. Right or wrong, law officers do need to maintain better than the rest of us. Besides that, the fastest way to have to finish the game outside the stadium IS to lose your cool with stadium security. Sorry, that was not intended to be the main thrust of my post.

All I can say is that anyone who tells another fan to sit down should be run out of town. If I wanted to sit down and watch a football game I would do it on my couch. Can't see? Well then you should have gotten better tickets than me. 300+ Sellouts means nothing if it doesn't give us an advantage in game. I would rather have 50k people screaming their asses off than 90k acting like its an episode of Antiques Roadshow.

STAND UP. BE LOUD. OR GTFO!