Didn't think we'd ever say this...

Atbone95

Our defense is playing incredibly mediocre, and will not cut it come conference play. What happened to the Blackshirts?!

Discuss.

Mediocre???? HA! I wish they had played mediocre. I tried not to react to those first two games, because I knew it was early in the season and Bo can fix things. Three games in, I'm starting to very strongly question what's going on. That defense will not be fixed by gaining one player. Dennard will help, but my goodness, this defense this year just isn't going to be very good. Poor dback play, slow linebackers, a dline that can't generate any pressure... could be a long year.

Fisher has no business starting. He's too slow, can't tackle, and gets manhandled by O-lineman/fullbacks.

+ 1,000,000,000,000. Honestly he has no business on the field. We should go back to the Peso defense and put Osbourne or Stafford in the box. And maybe get PJ Smith in the game, instead of Cassidy.

Either way this weekend should be open competition. Almost no one's position should be safe.

I do not think Fisher is that bad, at least he plays his assignments mostly. But I really want to see Courtney Osborne out there (edit, I guess we won't be for a while). We'll be fine, if this DL picks it up again. We have another week to work out the kinks and this defense is only going to get better over the year.

I think it's a credit to the offense that they are flying so high right now.

Not even so much flying so high. More of a brutal, sapping beast that bears inexorably down on the opposing team's will to win.

Maybe someone can answer this that has extensive experience in defensive coaching. Why are some to all of our dline setting 1-2 yards off the ball. I really paid attention to this today after seeing it last week and have decided that is has to be intentional scheme as opposed to lack of attention when lining up. Sometimes you see 1 or 2 guys do it, other times you see all four. then it's be a dt only, or both ends. One time on a 3rd and long 3 guys were up on the line but crick's hand was a full 2 yards from the ball. Just wondering if anyone would know what the idea behind this would be. I wanna think that it has to do with the 2 gapper scheme and it making it easier for the dl to keep oline off the backers, but thats mostly jsut a guess. I did see a couple of them off on a 3rd and 2 and I guess I'm just not understanding.

Dennard doesn't allow the TDs that Green allowed. The LBs played well I thought, after all, David had the INT in the first. Until Dennard gets back, all the opposing teams are going to do is target Green, when Dennard gets back, all the opposing teams will do is target Ciante. Which would you rather have? I'll give the defense until conference play to get their act together. If Dennard is back on the field by the Wisconsin game, and they still allow 38 points, then I'll be concerned. But until then, we're 3-0 and have played two pretty tough teams. And have come out in the second half on fire (something that hasn't happened in recent years)

Wow one good offenses performance and the offense is the savior and the defense the crutch. Good lord. Not having dennard cost us 21 points easily. Dennard coming back will open up a safety for run support and crossing routes, and will shut down half the field. Im shocked we have people second guessing pelini. We had three sophomore or under dbs and a juco who's been here two months. Now you know why everyone loved hagg. Well get better and have a hell of a team on both sides of the ball, it's pretty esciting all this talent we have.

Now pelini can't recruit? ....wow...just wow