The Big Ten

mwj98

I mean I am seeing posts about "welcome the the big leagues"...all this other crap. What do folks think?? the Big Ten, in my honest opinion has always, always been overrated. I hated watching the teams play over the past 20 years. But, to act like we don't belong in this league, or, we are gonna limp through is ridiculous. We have played the Big ten schools over the years, Mich. State, Iowa, Michigan, Northwestern, Minnesota and Penn State. I think we pretty much handled everyone and lost to Penn State in Happy Valley. So to sit back and act like we are going to get worked is bs. I really don't know how we are going to do against Wisconsin. Hell, I thought OU would come into Lincoln and put 50 on us, and we beat em.

The big ten doesn't have the speed on defense like we do. We are definitely soft up front. Steinkuhler wears me out with his soft play. Suh made crick a better player and now we see he isn't as dominant as he should be. Oh well, it happens. Martinez is making better decisions, but he can't throw. Frazier couldn't really throw at first, and Frost, man oh man that shot putt throwing motion wore me out. And, I don't think crouch was lighting up the passing yards either. We, as fans have been spoiled. We over analyze and freak out. I remember, the administration thinking about getting rid of Osborne, I remember walking through our Big 8 schedule and then getting worked in the bowl games against better opponents. This team now is much better than any Callahan team, and we are heading in the right direction. Defense tightens up in certain areas, and we continue to get better, we will be ok.

We still have to play the games. But, honestly, all these folks acting like we don't belong are in for a real treat. Ok....I am done venting....need a drink!

Get used to it, especially from Iowa fans. Seriously..............Iowa fans make Colorado fans seem like little kids. Iowa fans think they'll "own" the series between NU and UI. I don't know where they're getting their delusional pills from, but they're very strong. We've owned the series between our teams historically speaking and will continue to own the series. I think Iowa sucks and always will...............

You can basically count on every B1G fanbase to pull for Wisconsin on Saturday, and if I were in their shoes I probably would, too. The last thing they want to see is us waltzing into their league and beat what is basically universally considered the best team in the league at this point, in their barn, which is propped up by B1G fans as one of the toughest venues in all of college football. (Which I am not discounting.)

Thing is though, that's exactly what's going to happen. We're walking out of Madison with a win. Flat out.

Get used to it, especially from Iowa fans. Seriously..............Iowa fans make Colorado fans seem like little kids. Iowa fans think they'll "own" the series between NU and UI. I don't know where they're getting their delusional pills from, but they're very strong. We've owned the series between our teams historically speaking and will continue to own the series. I think Iowa sucks and always will...............

It took me about 4 milliseconds to come to the realization that Iowa fans are not to be taken seriously. They exist for entertainment purposes only. (I only wish they were more entertaining.)

To the OP, that is one of the best/reasonable posts in several days. Unfortunely, logic wont get you far around here lately. Lets look at some facts to support what the op said. It's been pointed out how over the past decade, the Big has been manhandled in Bowl games, there have been some exception but VERY FEW. Over the past 30 years we have lost to Big teams only 3 times, Iowa in the ealy Eighties, Michigan in the mid Eighties, and Penn St. in 2002. Over the last 16 years we have played Big teams 9 times. Our record is 8-1. Mich. St 3-0, Iowa 2-0, Northwestern 1-0 they were Big co Champs that year I believe and we put up 60+ points on them that night, Penn. St. 1-1, Michigan 1-0. Yes, this is in the past, but there is a measerable trend here. The Big, nine times out of ten, gets clocked in Bowl games and we traditional kill them when we played each other. Also, some of those years we were not at our best and we still beat them, see especially Us vs Michigan in the Alamo Bowl in 2005. Sorry, but some common sense has to come into play at some point around here. Like the OP said, we could lose to Wisky, but if we do it won't be a blowout. Personaly, I think we will win.

Still waiting for the Freak Out level to drop about a hundred notches around here. Our best football is still ahead of us and we have been showing improvement each game.

Thank you OP. I couldn't agree more. I was never excited about this move for any reason other than stability and academics. I just hope we can keep getting Big 12 speed and Texas tallent and not turn into the next Penn State or Minnesota. And for Iowa fans to say we are now playing the "Big Boys" - There isn't a team in the legends that could hang with OU, OSU, AtM or probably Baylor.

I can't wait to play Wisconsin.

You can basically count on every B1G fanbase to pull for Wisconsin on Saturday, and if I were in their shoes I probably would, too. The last thing they want to see is us waltzing into their league and beat what is basically universally considered the best team in the league at this point, in their barn, which is propped up by B1G fans as one of the toughest venues in all of college football. (Which I am not discounting.)

Thing is though, that's exactly what's going to happen. We're walking out of Madison with a win. Flat out.

HELL YEAH!!! That's what I am talking about!

You can basically count on every B1G fanbase to pull for Wisconsin on Saturday . . .

That, plus $2.25 will get you a ride on the subway. It's worth nothing.

The hype on this game is interesting. Back in 1993 there was little excitment about Penn State entering the league. I had to look up who they played first. I do remember watching their game against Michigan a week or two later. I was in an airport lounge waiting for a flight. I didn't particularily care who won that game.

PSU did OK in 1993 and won the league with a great team in 1994.

BTW, PSU played Illinois to open their 1993 Big Ten season.

Edit - Just looked it up again and it was Minnesota. First game of the season and an easy win for them. They went 6-2 in the conference that year.

Yes i live on the iowa campus and i cannot stand it. They see the callahan days, and they see iowas run in the mid 2000s. That is their only justification. Our worst era vs their best era. They count shared titles are sole titles. I cant believe how many people on the iowa message boards have 2004 big ten champions on their signatures. Not only did they lose to michigan heads up (the team they share it with), but michigan played in the rose bowl! I know nobody cares about iowa, and rightfully so, but i deal with it on a daily basis and im sick of it. Cant we just beat them already?

You can basically count on every B1G fanbase to pull for Wisconsin on Saturday . . .

That, plus $2.25 will get you a ride on the subway. It's worth nothing.

The hype on this game is interesting. Back in 1993 there was little excitment about Penn State entering the league. I had to look up who they played first. I do remember watching their game against Michigan a week or two later. I was in an airport lounge waiting for a flight. I didn't particularily care who won that game.

PSU did OK in 1993 and won the league with a great team in 1994.

BTW, PSU played Illinois to open their 1993 Big Ten season.

Yeah, I'm not trying to put a definitive value on it or anything. Just an observation.

Intangible things like this never rank that high to me. I'll take size, strength, speed, and skill to go please. But if this league-wide support means anything, it probably makes it that much harder to sell the "we're underdogs" line that higher ranked Wisconsin seems intent on trying to sell with a straight face. If any of these kids are looking at the same websites and message boards that I am then they're reading a litany of reasons why Wisconsin is vastly superior to Nebraska.

If it does anything, it puts more pressure on Wisconsin to win, to not blow it. We benefit. If anything ;)

You can basically count on every B1G fanbase to pull for Wisconsin on Saturday,

This has not been what I'm seeing. A lot of support for Nebraska from the other conference members.

Really? That's interesting. My experience has been the exact opposite.

It hasn't been vitriolic or mean-spirited though, nothing like that. But I bet I've seen it 5 to 1, B1G fans for Wisconsin. (And some of that probably bleeds into, "who do we think is going to win?" And I don't think anyone could be faulted for taking the Badgers in this game. They have a really, really good team up in Madison.)

Still...that really surprises me. I must be on different sites than you are or something. :dunno

You can basically count on every B1G fanbase to pull for Wisconsin on Saturday,

This has not been what I'm seeing. A lot of support for Nebraska from the other conference members.

You got some links to share? I'm curious to see support for Nebraska. I can't even get any Husker support in my office!