What did we learn???

1) Our defensive line and linebackers don't trust the secondary, nor should they--Fonz is the only man in the secondary that can cover his jock strap, let alone a receiver.

2) Our play-calling was exactly what it needed to be to succeed--Wisconsin loaded up to stop the run, we had single coverage, we *had* to pass to set up the run. This was borne out by our early successful efforts moving the ball--we were able to pass competently, so they backed off, and the run was there.

3) We don't have a QB that can consistently pass. We've only had one game where he actually exuded competence, and that was a shoot-out with Okie Lite.

4) We need to examine alternatives at QB. Injuries weren't the only reason we went with other starting QBs last year.

5. We *really* miss Marvin Sanders. Our errors were because of breakdowns due to a lack of basic fundamentals, such as turning your head to find the ball, keeping your eye on the receiver you're supposed to cover, and to follow the ball when playing a team that employs a lot of misdirection.

Even our n00b secondary players in 08, 09, and 10 had these basics--sure, there were breakdowns, but nothing so blatant and to this extent (well...save for Missouri, I suppose). This comes from quality coaching, or a lack thereof.

6. If Bo doesn't get **** fixed in a hurry, the teams that we're going to have the most problems with are, in order of most to least significance, are Michigan, Northwestern (provided Persa is healthy), and Iowa. We should not have any problems with Penn State, Minnesota, Ohio State, or Michigan State.

So, it looks like those 6-2 estimates for conference play may not be far off after all...

1) Our defensive line and linebackers don't trust the secondary, nor should they--Fonz is the only man in the secondary that can cover his jock strap, let alone a receiver.

2) Our play-calling was exactly what it needed to be to succeed--Wisconsin loaded up to stop the run, we had single coverage, we *had* to pass to set up the run. This was borne out by our early successful efforts moving the ball--we were able to pass competently, so they backed off, and the run was there.

3) We don't have a QB that can consistently pass. We've only had one game where he actually exuded competence, and that was a shoot-out with Okie Lite.

4) We need to examine alternatives at QB. Injuries weren't the only reason we went with other starting QBs last year.

5. We *really* miss Marvin Sanders. Our errors were because of breakdowns due to a lack of basic fundamentals, such as turning your head to find the ball, keeping your eye on the receiver you're supposed to cover, and to follow the ball when playing a team that employs a lot of misdirection.

Even our n00b secondary players in 08, 09, and 10 had these basics--sure, there were breakdowns, but nothing so blatant and to this extent (well...save for Missouri, I suppose). This comes from quality coaching, or a lack thereof.

6. If Bo doesn't get **** fixed in a hurry, the teams that we're going to have the most problems with are, in order of most to least significance, are Michigan, Northwestern (provided Persa is healthy), and Iowa. We should not have any problems with Penn State, Minnesota, Ohio State, or Michigan State.

So, it looks like those 6-2 estimates for conference play may not be far off after all...

matthew_mg....I never agree with you, so I wanted to take this opportunity to say 'Good Post'

Marvin gets way too much credit.

No, what we have now is a lack of talent in the secondary. And honestly that is probably more on Marvin than anyone else! The guys he inherited, most of them are gone. Now we're left with the pieces that he gave us.

By the way, you're also forgetting Oklahoma in '08. We got ripped.

• Fire 1

stop talking about the play calling and Watson.  That's uninformed fan talk.  Games are won and lost with heart, solid fundamentals, talent and coaching

Simply put, we lack mostly in the quarterback position where 3 turnovers and lack of a real quarterback are glaringly obvious.  Gotta get the next guy ready asap.  Martinez is a nice slot back or flanker but not a QB.

Defense did the best they could but we don't have anything close to the line we had in 09.  Their was a lot asked of that defense tonight, Wisc is the total package right now.

Realistically we have a lack of offensive identity and no quarterback.  And where is the counter- trey, the play that WE taught the NFL?

This loss was as bad as I can remember.

Uhhh, no. The offense does have an identity. It's the spread. It's 'run the ball to open the pass', last time I checked.If that's the case, why did Martinez throw 17 times in the first half?The point of the offense is to run a lot so that Martinez can occasionally throw an easy pass. Beck forgot that for a quarter and a half, and never recovered. He needs to explain why.

stop talking about the play calling and Watson. That's uninformed fan talk. Games are won and lost with heart, solid fundamentals, talent and coaching

Simply put, we lack mostly in the quarterback position where 3 turnovers and lack of a real quarterback are glaringly obvious. Gotta get the next guy ready asap. Martinez is a nice slot back or flanker but not a QB.

Defense did the best they could but we don't have anything close to the line we had in 09. Their was a lot asked of that defense tonight, Wisc is the total package right now.

Realistically we have a lack of offensive identity and no quarterback. And where is the counter- trey, the play that WE taught the NFL?

This loss was as bad as I can remember.

Thanks for contradicting yourself.

Martinez will NEVER be a good passer. Or a good quarterback. Everyone was so enthralled because last year, he opened up and showed great acceleration against mediocre teams. Yet we all thought this somehow made him a good quarterback. His passing has not improved in the least and never will. His running threat is no longer a threat because teams are not surprised by it anymore. He has extremely poor decision making and poor mechanics. He needs to be a slot receiver, not a signal caller. I would love to hear anyone defend him after this shitfest of a game. Good quarterbacks do not make the mistakes he made tonight. Period. And it's not even so much the mistakes, it's the complete lack of improvement in every facet. Mechanics, interceptions, motion, putting the ball on the ground. What exactly does he do well besides burst through a huge gap?

• Fire 1

Offensive line was okay. Wr were okay. Backs ok. QB has same issues. DL Interior tackles ok. Meredith Ok. Other re is an issue. David good. Other LB's suspect. Secondary is a disaster. Penalties came back. This reminded me of the mizzo game in Bo's first year.

SUSPECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????????????? They were downright PATHETIC. I believe IRAFREAK hinted that this could have been Mizzou 08 all over again and I agreed.

Martinez will NEVER be a good passer. Or a good quarterback. Everyone was so enthralled because last year, he opened up and showed great acceleration against mediocre teams. Yet we all thought this somehow made him a good quarterback. His passing has not improved in the least and never will. His running threat is no longer a threat because teams are not surprised by it anymore. He has extremely poor decision making and poor mechanics. He needs to be a slot receiver, not a signal caller. I would love to hear anyone defend him after this shitfest of a game. Good quarterbacks do not make the mistakes he made tonight. Period. And it's not even so much the mistakes, it's the complete lack of improvement in every facet. Mechanics, interceptions, motion, putting the ball on the ground. What exactly does he do well besides burst through a huge gap?

This is probably what will keep me on Huskerboard for the next few days. I'm really looking forward to this.

I'm sorry to say to all the naysayers out there, that there is a good team out there.

If we wanted to win this game, Beck should have taken the ball out of Martinez's hands. Simply put.

But he didn't.

For all the people questioning Bo, in 2008 he almost beat the best team Texas Tech has ever had and he culminated it with a underdog victory in the Gator Bowl. You have to take the good with the bad. There was some damn good promise on that field before shiite hit the fan. They ran into a buzzsaw, crapped their pants, and were torn in half.

If you really want to complain, it should be about Beck trusting T-Mart too much, the intangibles and discipline (Camp Randall couldn't have helped at all), and lack of intensity on defense.

Our defense is average, which is not that unusual for a Bo defense this early in the season. Hopefully they progress like they have in past years and turn out much better by November. Wilson is very good and so is Wisconsin's offensive line.

Martinez is not a good passing quarterback and probably never will be. You can overcome poor mechanics and even mediocre accuracy at this level, but you can't overcome an inability to see the field. This takes a certain psychological skill that people generally either have or don't. Analogy: Certain people just don't have mathematical ability. You can take the world's most brilliant mathematicians to tutor them eight hours a day for four years and they may never be able to understand calculus. Same goes for quarterbacks being able to see the field in real-time. In most cases, no amount of practice and film study can create this ability. And that's one of the primary reasons nobody else wanted Martinez as a quarterback. He doesn't have it.

I think most of us knew these things before the game, so I don't really think we learned a lot. We just hoped Bo would have a brilliant scheme for the defense (a la Missouri last year) and that the offense would rely on Burkhead and the running game to sustain drives and keep Martinez from beating us. Neither of these things happened, though, so Wisconsin beat us handily as many expected they would. No mystery, really.

Next year, we need to go the juco route for 2 solid corners, then recruit our asses off for some legit freshman corners.

I was looking at the 2009 signees. We only signed Cody Green at QB. Was his signing conditional on us only signing 1 QB that year? I am trying to figure out why we could only come up with Tmart when Green didn't pan out? He is truly a square peg in a round hole.

Taylor is still, and will always be, a slot WR playing QB.

Our defense......well, what is there to say? We're soft. We don't play with heart. We don't play with fire. We don't play with passion. We look like we're just going through the motions out there.

My liver is going to be challenged this season.

Not defending, but a good OCord would not have continued putting him the position. We were moving the ball on the ground, we had a couple of good passing plays and we changed and abandoned the running game. Taylor through the interception and then the second. A smart coach would try to calm him down, take the preasure off. I liken this game to Texas Tech debacle. If it does not not work keep trying. Those three interceptions could be the end of Taylor, but it was caused by the play calling.

We have kids that are no improving all over the field, some that are called all americans and future all americans. We have coaching problems. Time for them to look in the mirror and see what is wrong, cause it is not all on the kids.

I hope the team sits around thinking about how terrible they are tomorrow and then gets back to practice on Monday and turns the page. I want to see them grow up a bit and I really hope this coaching staff can help them do that.

Yeah, that's all we can do. Is move forward and get better. That's better than just quitting on the season like we did in 2007.
  • Fire 1