The Latest Quarterback Thread

OK. I was a little cornfused there, because I'm pretty much manning the Sunshine Pump 24/7. :lol:

apparently, that well is starting to run dry.

I had a really personally very bad day for the Texas game last year. It was my mom's last Husker game and I pulled a lot of strings to get her seats close to the field so she didn't have to walk, got her a close tailgate spot, and in general made sure she could enjoy her last game after 20 years of season tickets. That loss crushed my heart.

After that game, even this blowout loss doesn't phase me. I'm disappointed, but there will never be anything that bad again.

OK. I was a little cornfused there, because I'm pretty much manning the Sunshine Pump 24/7. :lol:

apparently, that well is starting to run dry.

I had a really personally very bad day for the Texas game last year. It was my mom's last Husker game and I pulled a lot of strings to get her seats close to the field so she didn't have to walk, got her a close tailgate spot, and in general made sure she could enjoy her last game after 20 years of season tickets. That loss crushed my heart.

After that game, even this blowout loss doesn't phase me. I'm disappointed, but there will never be anything that bad again.

that would be tough. this loss isn't so bad. yes it was embarrassing, but a loss is a loss and i was not expecting a win. all i hope for is to see this team continue to improve and play its best football at the end of the year. wiscy is good, no surprises. we need to be better, so does every team. i love a good season with some drama, that just might be exactly what we get.

I'm in agreement with starting to get Carnes more PT and a shot at starting because he may not be able to break away like Martinez but his passing game HAS to be better.

Against the better teams, Martinez doesn't even break away. He has 98 rushing yards on 32 carries in the last two games. If Carnes is a better passer, and only runs for 20-40 yards a game, that's not much less than Martinez is running and he'd be passing better. And we have a whole stable of RBs, so it's not even that important that the QB runs for 60 yards at a time. If the QB is a threat to scramble for 8-12 yards when a play breaks down, that's enough of a dual threat QB to keep defenses guessing. I just don't see how any other options can be worse. We have so many playmakers right now in Turner, Reed, Enunwa, Bell, Green, Burkhead, etc. and no way to get them the ball. Even the backs get less rushes than they should. Martinez seems to change the play to call his own number a lot. I've been down on this team since Martinez became the starter, even when we're winning.

What worries me:

Wisconsin safety Aaron Henry said the Badgers designed the simplest game plan they've ever had. They had only four play calls. The emphasis: Keep Martinez from running. Make him throw.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111001/BIGRED/710019714

Against defenses with a pulse we are going to have to rely on Martinez's ability to throw. With as much as the coaches talked up Martinez before the season, he hasn't really shown much if any improvement in this area.

What worries me:

Wisconsin safety Aaron Henry said the Badgers designed the simplest game plan they've ever had. They had only four play calls. The emphasis: Keep Martinez from running. Make him throw.

http://www.omaha.com...IGRED/710019714

Against defenses with a pulse we are going to have to rely on Martinez's ability to throw. With as much as the coaches talked up Martinez before the season, he hasn't really shown much if any improvement in this area.

Again - look at the first quarter. That was arguably the best Martinez has played at Nebraska. It was with a balanced offense.

In the second quarter, we asked Martinez to throw on 14/15 plays. That was idiotic. We didn't need to do that.

If our coaches can manage to play to our players' strengths, this offense will be fine. If they really think they have to throw it on 14/15 plays, we're screwed.

So, some of our fans were okay to write off Carnes after his first series in college but we have to wait years to allow Taylor to develop?? Would it really hurt anything to put in Carnes for a single series in the first half and a single series in the 2nd half? Are you guys all going to jump all over him when Martinez gets hurt and he gets thrown to the wolves without any significant experience? I really don't care if getting Carnes a few snaps hurts Taylor's confidence. He shouldn't have any based on how he plays. So what would have happened had we just run the option? How many more times would he have fumbled? As usual his teammates bailed him out and recovered it for him.

Who are you talking to? I haven't jumped all over anybody. I think you're projecting here - you are the one denouncing Martinez, not me.

I'm not talking to you. I'm talking to BIGREDIOWAN and a few others. He was one of them who wrote off Carnes right away. You were the voice of reason on the very same thread.

Carnes did look horrible in that first game and you can't convince me otherwise. Which is why I said earlier that he can probably only run half of this offense and that's if we're lucky. If we lose 4 or 5 games then it doesn't matter at that point, give him a shot. If Martinez gets hurt what choice do we have? Right now we have a choice and the choice is to keep Martinez in there and continue to let Carnes figure out the playbook. He may be a better QB, but he can't compete for it until next season IMO unless he gets the playbook down. I'm not saying Taylor knows the entire playbook, but I'm willing to bet he knows a helluva lot more than Carnes at this point.

When have you ever EVER seen a team put in a second string QB in the game just to "give him some game time"? You give the 2nd string game time when your team is up by 30+ points. That's their game time.

And they get reps in practice. And apparently, Bo and company haven't seen anything that makes Brion stand out as better than Taylor. knapplc and I aren't bashing Brion as much as we are trying to defend Taylor. Taylor needs to go through a growing process with THIS offense and fundamentally. When you're a run first QB, you tend to be not fundamentally sound in the passing game and those fundamentals don't just happen overnight. Should they have happened over the course of a year? Maybe...but you only get so much game time to work on the decision making so that's bound to take longer.

We [the team] give up on Taylor now and it starts the process over again. What would be the point of last year and the first few games of this year if we do that.

I think the coaches failed in this game. Martinez is not a passing quarterback. After what over a year he still throws off his back foot and points his left in the wrong direction when he throws. That is bad coaching. I don't think he understands that there are linebackers out there either. He said it himself afterward that he needs to learn to dump it off to a back and not a defender??? I couldn't believe he said that. That being said I think he is our best option right now they just have to use him correctly. Running the ball and then using play action pass! He is clearly not the option at QB if he cannot pass consistently. And yes NU's QB should be able to throw the ball in this day and age.

The D is not good at all. Even if TM threw the picks they still would have scored on their drives and I doubt we would have scored on those drives. The Pistol? We need to copy Nevada now?

On the bright side I was happy to see BK catching the ball again. He has what it takes to be a leader.

So, some of our fans were okay to write off Carnes after his first series in college but we have to wait years to allow Taylor to develop?? Would it really hurt anything to put in Carnes for a single series in the first half and a single series in the 2nd half? Are you guys all going to jump all over him when Martinez gets hurt and he gets thrown to the wolves without any significant experience? I really don't care if getting Carnes a few snaps hurts Taylor's confidence. He shouldn't have any based on how he plays. So what would have happened had we just run the option? How many more times would he have fumbled? As usual his teammates bailed him out and recovered it for him.

Who are you talking to? I haven't jumped all over anybody. I think you're projecting here - you are the one denouncing Martinez, not me.

I'm not talking to you. I'm talking to BIGREDIOWAN and a few others. He was one of them who wrote off Carnes right away. You were the voice of reason on the very same thread.

Carnes did look horrible in that first game and you can't convince me otherwise. Which is why I said earlier that he can probably only run half of this offense and that's if we're lucky. If we lose 4 or 5 games then it doesn't matter at that point, give him a shot. If Martinez gets hurt what choice do we have? Right now we have a choice and the choice is to keep Martinez in there and continue to let Carnes figure out the playbook. He may be a better QB, but he can't compete for it until next season IMO unless he gets the playbook down. I'm not saying Taylor knows the entire playbook, but I'm willing to bet he knows a helluva lot more than Carnes at this point.

Based on what, 6 plays? In a new offense? You've got to be kidding me. How do you know that at this point he only knows half the playbook?

I understand people having Taylor's back - I've been one of his biggest proponents the past year. However, I'm starting to wonder where the development is and how he can possibly be the best quarterback Nebraska has. He apparently can't see defenders, he definitely can't work through progressions (see Rex Burkhead open for 5-10 yard gainers if not more from the flat all night long), he's uncomfortable in the pocket, and he is horrible at running the option. His break neck speed doesn't do much for him against disciplined defenses.

I'm not saying switch to Carnes or that I'd start calling him T-ragic, I think he could still be pretty good. I'm just really starting to wonder what exactly he offers that some other average qb can't offer? Honestly, the burst of speed would be easily offset by a guy who can stand in the pocket and check down. There were no big runs last night, and you take away those 3 picks it could potentially be a completley different game.

Based on what, 6 plays? In a new offense? You've got to be kidding me. How do you know that at this point he only knows half the playbook?

Based on his time in the system is all, he couldn't even run the option very well that day?! That's a pretty basic offense to run don't you think? Right now Taylor is our QB, all I'm saying is get used to it because it ain't gonna change. How do you know he knows more than half the playbook? Speculation right? Same thing here.............If Brion gets the start eventually, I'm behind him 110%. I hope he does great, but until that time comes this talk is getting old already, but what else do we have to talk about at this point? lol

Based on his time in the system is all, he couldn't even run the option very well that day?! That's a pretty basic offense to run don't you think? Right now Taylor is our QB, all I'm saying is get used to it because it ain't gonna change. How do you know he knows more than half the playbook? Speculation right? Same thing here.............If Brion gets the start eventually, I'm behind him 110%. I hope he does great, but until that time comes this talk is getting old already, but what else do we have to talk about at this point? lol

Yes I do, which is exactly why I'm so shocked that martinez can't make the defender commit before pitching the frickin ball. I can't for the life of me understand how you can be so harsh on a kid who was taking his first snaps in a college game and defend Taylor after all the experience he has had. There's no getting through to you, so I give up. Have a nice night.