beck is getting too much heat

I know Beck should have run the ball more, but his plays he could would have worked if taylor made the proper reads. There was always a wr or rb wide open in all those passing plays I know for a fact that i saw a guy wide open during the plays where martinez threw an interception. The plays were decent play calls but just poor execution, i.e. martinez looking at one wr the whole time and telegraphing his throws.

• Fire 2

This is basically what I've been saying all along. Taylor executes on his passes, Beck's game plan advances without a hitch. Who knows how his game plan changed when Taylor turned the ball over. Maybe we should have run the ball more, but fact of the matter is, the turnovers forced Beck to change his game plan into something other than what he had planned.

If we're going to excuse Beck for his second quarter, why didn't we just keep Watson? Watson's playcalls always would have worked too, if they had been executed correctly.

Go look at Wisconsin's playcalling from Saturday night. Did they, at any point, call a pass on 14/15 consecutive plays? No. And they had Russell Wilson at QB.

Sorry, I'm behind Beck and thought he had been impressive up until this past Saturday, but that second quarter was every bit as inexcusable as Martinez's interceptions.

• Fire 1

My question is, why do you get in that much of a rush with two timeouts, barely half the field, and plenty of time to work with? You know that Wisconsin's offense can practically score at will, and even if you get a touchdown passing it's likely that you leave Wisconsin plenty of time to score to end the half, PLUS you run much greater risk of turning it over. We had no reason to think our running game wasn't working, yet Beck didn't bother to show Wisconsin a look that suggested we were even going to try to run the ball. The more I think about it, the less sense it makes.

I understand that Taylor totally screwed the pooch on those picks he threw, but when you have Rex Burkhead and no reason to think that the running game can't work, why do you even give Taylor the opportunity to screw the pooch? There's blame to be shared here.

I've been pretty pleased with him so far this year, but I do think the 2nd quarter showed a bit of panic causing him to fall back in the Watson mode. I think he's caugt too much flak ove the first play of the 3rd quarter. I think that was completely unexpected and a good call, just a really bad throw. If he dumps that ball to Rex it's probably a nice gain.

I am still waiting though for some type of misdirection, something that will put one of our playmakers out in space. We keep hearing that something is coming with Turner....but we're still waiting.

If we're going to excuse Beck for his second quarter, why didn't we just keep Watson? Watson's playcalls always would have worked too, if they had been executed correctly.

Go look at Wisconsin's playcalling from Saturday night. Did they, at any point, call a pass on 14/15 consecutive plays? No. And they had Russell Wilson at QB.

Sorry, I'm behind Beck and thought he had been impressive up until this past Saturday, but that second quarter was every bit as inexcusable as Martinez's interceptions.

If you look at the majority of Watson's passing plays when he was here the receivers are not as open as they are now. We always have guys running free, Watson's offense is NFL like, in that precision is necessary with quick hitches, slants, and so on. Beck is turning those receivers loose and they are getting open. Shoot, rex is open all the time but Taylor always goes big.

Too much heat?? College coaching is not a job for those with thin skin. Especially Division I OC.

That said, it's silly for people to be calling for Beck's head. But (I think) those voices are just fans blowing off steam. Beck didn't call a perfect game by any means. But we missed a lot of open opportunities with the plays he called.

I agree with this. While Beck may have called a long string of passing plays, the fact of the matter is we didn't execute.

You're right. And the reason we didn't make a bowl game in 2004 is not because Bill Callahan tried to run a WCO with a power running/option team, it's because the players didn't execute.

/facepalm

• Fire 1

I don't disagree with your statement at all Saunders...I think Beck may get a bit stubborn at times....a good sign to take away from this is that he admitted he messed up as an OC calling the Wiscy game. I like Beck a lot more than Watson from what i've seen so far....but Beck definitely contributed to our lack of success in the Wiscy game. I am quite sure he knows that we have to utilize are strengths...and passing the ball consecutive times isn't are strength.

It is extremely rare for a play to not have an option to gain yards...

You're seeing it at Boise State right now. Kellen Moore knows every play and every route and where the guy will be against every defense. And Boise State plays nearly flawless offensive football. They control the game, they score at will, and they win.

Offensive coordinators are going to call plays that will work. Every play will have an open guy, or a way to gain positive yards. If the QB is as knowledgeable and skilled as Kellen, then every play is going to work. The option will be found, executed, and yards will be gained. If the QB locks on to one guy like Taylor, makes bad reads, misses the open guy, obviously that play is not going to be successful.

We have to play to our strengths, and not ask Taylor to play like Kellen. That's how we will win ballgames.

I don't disagree with your statement at all Saunders...I think Beck may get a bit stubborn at times....a good sign to take away from this is that he admitted he messed up as an OC calling the Wiscy game. I like Beck a lot more than Watson from what i've seen so far....but Beck definitely contributed to our lack of success in the Wiscy game. I am quite sure he knows that we have to utilize are strengths...and passing the ball consecutive times isn't are strength.

I'm in the same boat. Beck does need time, but to act like he didn't have a hand in setting up his QB for failure is delusional. Hopefully he learns, and hopefully Taylor pulls his head out of his backside.