One loss to a very good team is not cause for alarm.

AK-47

Look, I think it's a bit premature to call for someone to be benched (Martinez, Fisher, etc.) because it's not ideal to sack someone, who has played well overall, just because of one bad night. I feel when they are the no-brainer starter all year, and then they totally suck, you have to give them a chance to respond. See if they are disappointed in their performance and come out to play with a chip on their shoulder the next week. But if we don't see big turnaround in gameplay, changes need to be made.

As for Tim Beck, he needed a week like last week. A game where even if he calls the perfect game we might lose, but instead he made multiple questionable decisions and has thus been berated by media and fans. He is still learning, and hopefully this was a big learning experience for him. Let's see if he comes out this week and "dance's with the one that brought him" to turn a phrase. By that I mean: run the GD football.

My two cents. Sorry if this has been thoroughly discussed elsewhere.

Premature for Martinez but not for the others. Changing starting QBs is a big deal because of the scrutiny it invites on the team. Other positions have been fluid since game 1. Although I believe Brion should have had more of a shot to showcase his abilities early in the year, and going forward, an outright change is premature.

But guys like Blatchford, A-Rod, Kinnie, etc...have not been safe. And guys like Fisher and Thorell should have their seats getting prety hot by now. Acknowledging that the team is still built around Taylor on offense, there are still a lot of pieces that could be shuffled around, as far as personnel goes - especially on defense.

I agree with you though. Yeah it was a bad loss, but it was a game that got away from us. We were going to lose to Wisconsin probably no matter what. We got killed because we shot ourselves in the foot. We can recover, and we should support the team through this. Stop freakin' panicking and jumping off the bandwagon!

• Fire 2
We were going to lose to Wisconsin probably no matter what. We got killed because we shot ourselves in the foot.

I agree with this.

We were probably destined for a 2 score loss, but it really got out of hand with the turnover stretch between 2nd and 3rd quarters, coupled with a poor defense quitting by their own admission.

We're not in UW's class, but that game snowballed a bit.

I agree that it is not time for wholesale changes. In fact, maybe things turning totally to st in this game really was a blessing in disguise. Wiscy is good enough that we would have had to play completely flawless to beat them. It was most assuredly a 7-14 point loss to begin with. So I guess we took advantage of that L by getting to deal with some very real problems before they cost us an L in a game we should win. Being totally serious that is the bright side of this debacle. Losing is losing whether by 1 point or 31. We basically got a free education in that game.

• Fire 1

I don't think it's the one loss to Wisconsin that is particularly alarming. I assumed the Huskers would lose by 20 in Madison. What is alarming is the play our D has shown in every game since Chattanooga. The offense compared to last year has improved in some aspects but lets face it Martinez is a skilled athlete who doesn't have the exact skill set to be a QB. I would say based on the performance we've seen from the Huskers up to this point we as fans had better start expecting 3 loses this year. Penn State held Alabama to 27 points and scored 11 on their D. The Huskers aren't playing any where near that good when we're letting Washington and Fresno State rack up close to 30 and 40 points on our D. I would expect I serious loss in Happy Valley. Penn States D will shout our offense down and if our D doesn't shape up quick fast and in a hurry I'd expect another 20 point + loss.

Then after that we'll be in the Big House trying to stop Denard Robinson. The way the D is playing I would expect Michigan to score close to 50. Michigan's defense isn't the paper wall it was last year. They have actually improved. Michigan was kind of the antithesis of Nebraska last year. We had a stellar defense and absolutely horrible offense. However this year our offense is slightly better (in comparison to last year), but our D is no where to the level they were. Michigan on the other hand still has a stellar O being lead by Robinson and the D has improved greatly from last years pop warner division play.

So unless there is great improvement on both sides of the ball ya might as well mark those 2 games as a loss. With Nebraska's current level of play based on our performances starting with Fresno St. onward I would say we are looking at a possible 3 to 4 loss season. Yes we are currently 4-1 but there were plenty of red flags and early warning signs going off well before Wisconsin embarassed us.

• Fire 1

I don't think it's the one loss to Wisconsin that is particularly alarming. I assumed the Huskers would lose by 20 in Madison. What is alarming is the play our D has shown in every game since Chattanooga. The offense compared to last year has improved in some aspects but lets face it Martinez is a skilled athlete who doesn't have the exact skill set to be a QB. I would say based on the performance we've seen from the Huskers up to this point we as fans had better start expecting 3 loses this year. Penn State held Alabama to 27 points and scored 11 on their D. The Huskers aren't playing any where near that good when we're letting Washington and Fresno State rack up close to 30 and 40 points on our D. I would expect I serious loss in Happy Valley. Penn States D will shout our offense down and if our D doesn't shape up quick fast and in a hurry I'd expect another 20 point + loss.

Then after that we'll be in the Big House trying to stop Denard Robinson. The way the D is playing I would expect Michigan to score close to 50. Michigan's defense isn't the paper wall it was last year. They have actually improved. Michigan was kind of the antithesis of Nebraska last year. We had a stellar defense and absolutely horrible offense. However this year our offense is slightly better (in comparison to last year), but our D is no where to the level they were. Michigan on the other hand still has a stellar O being lead by Robinson and the D has improved greatly from last years pop warner division play.

So unless there is great improvement on both sides of the ball ya might as well mark those 2 games as a loss. With Nebraska's current level of play based on our performances starting with Fresno St. onward I would say we are looking at a possible 3 to 4 loss season. Yes we are currently 4-1 but there were plenty of red flags and early warning signs going off well before Wisconsin embarassed us.

Good points all. Plus, without the three interceptions the Wisc game would have been much tighter. I'm not saying we would've won. But at least it would have been a contest into the 4th qtr.

Good points all. Plus, without the three interceptions the Wisc game would have been much tighter. I'm not saying we would've won. But at least it would have been a contest into the 4th qtr.

I would like to agree but just can't. None of those INT's put Wisconsin deep in our territory. If those drives would have been stopped, it's quite possible Wisconsin gets the ball close to where they intercepted the ball. Not a single one of those INT's resulted in a field goal. They were throwing darts all night long. In order for the game to have been tight into the fourth quarter would have meant the offense playing nearly a perfect game. Our defense did little all night long. At least the offense had a good quarter.

I would like to agree but just can't. None of those INT's put Wisconsin deep in our territory. If those drives would have been stopped, it's quite possible Wisconsin gets the ball close to where they intercepted the ball. Not a single one of those INT's resulted in a field goal. They were throwing darts all night long. In order for the game to have been tight into the fourth quarter would have meant the offense playing nearly a perfect game. Our defense did little all night long. At least the offense had a good quarter.

It’s not possible to say what would have happened--given momentum, and the time the Blackshirts were on the field and all. But having those three picks back would have affected the whole game. We would have probably scored on at least one of those drives if we hadn’t thrown a pick. And having the extra TOP might have kept Wisconsin out of the endzone one time, maybe even twice. It certainly would have been a closer game. Who knows?--Maybe a couple of TDs instead of a 31 point blowout.

Premature for Martinez but not for the others. Changing starting QBs is a big deal because of the scrutiny it invites on the team. Other positions have been fluid since game 1. Although I believe Brion should have had more of a shot to showcase his abilities early in the year, and going forward, an outright change is premature.

But guys like Blatchford, A-Rod, Kinnie, etc...have not been safe. And guys like Fisher and Thorell should have their seats getting prety hot by now. Acknowledging that the team is still built around Taylor on offense, there are still a lot of pieces that could be shuffled around, as far as personnel goes - especially on defense.

I agree with you though. Yeah it was a bad loss, but it was a game that got away from us. We were going to lose to Wisconsin probably no matter what. We got killed because we shot ourselves in the foot. We can recover, and we should support the team through this. Stop freakin' panicking and jumping off the bandwagon!

I agree with just about everything you said but I think Kinnie is becoming more of a go to possession receiver. He looks to be over his injury (thumb iir) and seems to be finding his groove. He looks really good catching now and he usually fights for yardage when he gets the chance. But like the other guys I think his biggest limitation is the quality of passes.