Chips are down for Bo, Martinez

zoogs

This article really nailed it. When we clear away all the BS the issue is pretty simple. A choice was made to go with a quarterback who after 17 starts has done nothing in any key situation to prove he's a quarterback. He lacks a ranged skill set, worsened by the fact that his main asset is pure track speed, and has imploded time and again. Oh, and he's a living turnover machine.

I'm not calling for Carnes. What I'm calling for is preparing him to take the reigns if this nonsense continues. It should have been done in all four non conference games. It should have been done for the end stages of the Wisconsin game. And this isn't some shadowy two-step to create a QB controversy that isn't there; it's common sense. We have an offense predicated upon a running QB. The statistics are overwhelming that he'll get dinged up at some point, even if it's only for a series. But if the worse should happen and Taylor goes down for a season, where's Pelini's stack of chips then?

Agreed. The main thing that bothers me about this offense is that they can't march down 80 yards and score a td. It's either on a big play or end up kicking a field goal and those two ways shouldn't be the only time we score. I heard something on the Wyoming game that Bo said that irked me. He could live with the Big plays from Taylor, but Bo what happens when we are limited by big plays or get none at all? It's a guaranteed loss. this offense has regressed from last year. Now every team left will key in on the big plays and try to limit them. If Carnes can march the team down the field and score a td and not rely solely on big plays to score then he needs to be in there. Bo really needs to see what he has in his back ups.

Live by the big play, die by the big play. During the nonconference, there were those of us saying we couldn't have the season we wanted relying on the big play. Unfortunately, we do not have the OL to march down the field 80 yards grinding it out. I don't think it really matters who we put behind center because our OL isn't good enough to allow maintained grind'em out drives.

In terms of utilizing the back up QB, Bo learned from the master Solich. The 2002 season more than likely wouldn't have been as dismal as it was had Lord been given a lot more rep's earlier in his career.

damn......... i knew we would get around to laying this at the feet of Cotton.........but it took a while.

Having coached just a little bit and refereeing several games, games are won and lost in the trenches. One of the biggest reasons our offense stumbles is because the OL doesn't control the line of scrimmage. One of the biggest reasons our defense stumbles is because the DL isn't controlling the line of scrimmage. Against Wisconsin, 30% of our penalties were for false start. By game five, this is unacceptable.

Dirk hit the ball outta the park with this article. He makes a great point about the double standard Pelini has created for his players. It's that double standard that makes me think Pelini will never give up on Martinez, not even when Taylor drives our offense and our team's chances straight into the ground.

Like everyone on this board, I'd hate to see this program go that direction, especially when we have so many electric players and sooooo much potential. We still have one of the most talented, athletic teams in the conference (and the country). At this point, we just have to find a way to spread the ball to all that talent. Is Martinez the guy for that? I don't think so.

It's not a double standard if TM is the best we have. Bo still sends Sean Fisher and Will Compton out there when they screw up. Why? Because they're the best LB's we have, and it ain't close.

IMO, the QB situation is probably the same way. But the fans don't care.

It's unfortunate that Martinez is the best we have at the QB position. Yeah, he lights up subpar competition and below average defenses. I have seen the stats. What I would be interested in seeing are his stats against top 50 defenses. I would imagine it wouldn't be pretty.

He has yet another chance to prove he can play well against a good team - and I would really like to think he will against Ohio St - but based on past results, I just don't see it happening.

Ohhhhh man, I'm not sure I am going to agree with that about the LBs.

Roach is a maybe, but according to Els, Bo, and Carl, Fisher and Compton are the best we have. Bo benched Lee for Martinez, benched Arod for Choi, benched Thenarse and PJ for Cassidy and Osborne, etc... Bo has established a track record of benching guys if they don't perform, and guy behind him is close.

Husker fans don't want to realize it, but it seems to be the truth.

A-Rod was hurt and he benched Choi the very next game after having a good showing. He benched Lee after one of the best games in Bo's career (Arizona). Thenarse he was stubborn on until it was blatantly obvious to the world that the kid couldn't make a tackle.

Arod wasn't physically hurt. Lee was benched because somebody beat him out. Thenarse only started 5 games his senior year before being benched for an underclassman. In any of those cases, did they guy coming in behind perform worse?

Ohhhhh man, I'm not sure I am going to agree with that about the LBs.

Roach is a maybe, but according to Els, Bo, and Carl, Fisher and Compton are the best we have. Bo benched Lee for Martinez, benched Arod for Choi, benched Thenarse and PJ for Cassidy and Osborne, etc... Bo has established a track record of benching guys if they don't perform, and guy behind him is close.

Husker fans don't want to realize it, but it seems to be the truth.

A-Rod was hurt and he benched Choi the very next game after having a good showing. He benched Lee after one of the best games in Bo's career (Arizona). Thenarse he was stubborn on until it was blatantly obvious to the world that the kid couldn't make a tackle.

Is that stubbornness or coaching? Truthfully, I don't think we know enough as fans to definitively say why these things happened.

Maybe he benched Choi for missing a practice or something else, there were rumors that Lee was hurt in '10 again, and maybe Thenarse performed the best in practices. I don't think there's evidence to suggest Bo is stubborn or he isn't.

Arod passed up Choi after the Wyoming game because he got his sh#t together, and had a much better week of practice than Choi.

Sometimes it's hard to remember that Dirk graduated college with a journalism degree. This is such whiny twaddle. I'm actually embarrassed for him. The vast bulk of this article is whining about Bo's treatment of the press, either directly or indirectly.

Bo "shunned protocol" and Martinez "pouted" at a press conference.

Bo snapped at reporters. Oh noes! ! ! Not the reporters!!!

Taylor avoided press conferences. How DARE he not make himself available to the press!!!!

I actually laughed out loud when I read Dirk's advice to Martinez, "Stop with the 'Woe is me.'" Guess what? That goes both ways, journalist. Stop crying that you aren't being respected, stop crying about the drama - which your articles help to create - and do your job the way you expect Bo and Martinez to do theirs. Professionally. Throw some objectivity in there as well, if you remember your classes on that.

There is a very clear agenda here, both in this article and in the video that the World Herald has, once again, chosen to show of the talk Bo gave after yesterday's practice, which cut out the four minutes of normalcy and focused SOLELY on the final exchange. That's just sad, OWH.

It's too bad the consumers of news are so trained now to accept whatever nonsense comes out of a publication as fact, and lack the ability to think critically about what they're reading. Seeing the agenda behind this article, and others written by Chatelain and other OWH writers, isn't difficult. They clearly have a beef with Pelini. What's too bad is that they hide their grudge in the guise of journalism. This is not journalism, this is a temper tantrum. That isn't mitigated by masking it with some analysis of the team.

The local press is just lucky the fans don't have the integrity to hold them to the same standards to which we hold college football players. People just eat this garbage up and love it without realizing they're not getting a five-course meal, they're getting a McStory.

You want fries with that?

• Fire 1

I agree with pretty much everything Chatelain said. I like that Bo has the players' backs, but sometimes I wonder if he isn't a little overprotective of Taylor. Not saying he should throw the kid to the wolves, but acting like everything's fine and he can't understand what all the frustration stems from is disingenuous.

Perhaps he understands that his oc panicked (1st year oc taylor's second in two years) and Taylor was put in a bad situation. Why pile on the kid?

Yeah idk if you've noticed, but Bo and Tom are two different people. Stop comparing them.

and Tom's struggles to win bowl games are very different than Bo's recent stuggles to win much of anything - but we can compare them to justify Bo's "potential" and solidfy the "he's our guy" rally behind him. Just as long as we don't use any sort of comparison to put him or the team down right?. let me go grab my pom poms... I like Bo, and love that he's our coach. But, making comparisons is about all we have. it's how you measure up an opponent, or develop your depth chart. what we use to base our judgement of the current team, staff, etc on.

Dirk always tends to lean his articles about Bo and the media towards the media's point of view. And honestly I don't blame him - Dirk is a journalist and he can have some critical opinions. Given I'm studying in the same field, I would tend to lead towards the media too.

That said I have absolutely no problem with Bo's dealings with the media. It is what it is and they're all professionals - they can take it.

Agreed. The main thing that bothers me about this offense is that they can't march down 80 yards and score a td. It's either on a big play or end up kicking a field goal and those two ways shouldn't be the only time we score.

This simply isn't true. The offense has improved its sustained drives, between the tackles running and red zone scoring as the season goes on and the o-line improves dramatically.

And if the thing that kills a sustained drive is Martinez, Burkhead or a Reciever finding open field and blazing their way to a long TD, I'll take that any day.

What is wrong with you people?

Agreed. The main thing that bothers me about this offense is that they can't march down 80 yards and score a td. It's either on a big play or end up kicking a field goal and those two ways shouldn't be the only time we score.

This simply isn't true. The offense has improved its sustained drives, between the tackles running and red zone scoring as the season goes on and the o-line improves dramatically.

And if the thing that kills a sustained drive is Martinez, Burkhead or a Reciever finding open field and blazing their way to a long TD, I'll take that any day.

What is wrong with you people?

we're not true fans...