Barfknecht: Peevish postgame does NU no favors

I still find it amazing that most people arguing this really seem to forget the roots... the base of where our success started. Bo is MUCH more like the Bobfather than Tom, that's for sure.

The amazing thing is... I'm a bigger fan of the World-Herald than the Journal-Star in most respects. Can't stand the gits for LJS that work the editorial dept. But when it comes to sports, I'd much rather hear about the personalities that make up the team and who we are in SO many more respects than just the stats and Xs and Os. And I think LJS sports writers have lapped the OWH in providing that this year, for the most part. That's what happens when you try to insert yourself as the controversy, rather than reporting the story.

I will add one more here. I find it interesting that Bo and Jim Rome have great interviews and Rome loves the guy. Tells me that Bo just has something against the local media.

Bo and Greg Sharpe have really good interviews all the time (not so much on the Bo Pelini show but the coaches' show on Sports Nightly). Mostly because Greg doesn't intentionally try to get a reaction then lambaste him for reacting.

• Plus1 1

I will add one more here. I find it interesting that Bo and Jim Rome have great interviews and Rome loves the guy. Tells me that Bo just has something against the local media.

Because Rome has him on a few times a year just to kiss his ass and tell him how great it is that he's getting back to old school Nebraska football. The local media have to put out multiple stories a week about Husker football, which means they won't always be so positive. It's like, who are you more pleasant with-- your mistress who you fly out to see once a month, who whispers sweet nothings to you, eats great food with you and has great sex with you, or your wife, who makes you watch America's Got Talent, fixes you awful spaghetti (which is her "specialty") that you're too scared to complain about, and calls you nine times while you're trying to have two beers with the last remaining friend that will put up with you?

I don't really know who was in the wrong here (if anyone), I just think the ensuing conflict could've been handled better. Personally, I don't watch the pressers because they are boring and almost entirely uninsightful. And I don't read the sports columns (other than the occasional McKewon) because... well, basically for the same reasons. I just think it's kind of stupid that Bo needs to come after some lame reporter because of a bad article. Bo, you're making millions to win football games and make the Blackshirts scary again. Just focus on that and play nice with the media like everybody else.

I still find it amazing that most people arguing this really seem to forget the roots... the base of where our success started. Bo is MUCH more like the Bobfather than Tom, that's for sure.

The amazing thing is... I'm a bigger fan of the World-Herald than the Journal-Star in most respects. Can't stand the gits for LJS that work the editorial dept. But when it comes to sports, I'd much rather hear about the personalities that make up the team and who we are in SO many more respects than just the stats and Xs and Os. And I think LJS sports writers have lapped the OWH in providing that this year, for the most part. That's what happens when you try to insert yourself as the controversy, rather than reporting the story.

They've lapped them for years. OWH is like the local TMZ of sports reporting.

I just went back and watched the presser again, still funny. The total dismissal followed by awkward applause at the end... That's some great press conference right there. It's a shame you cant see reporters reactions.

So let me get this straight...we would rather have a coach that can give fluffy press conferences spew rainbows and kittens from his mouth rather than coach some kids, win games, and run a "clean" program?

Yeah bo should take a note from some of the more media savvy coaches that know how to brush things off and answer questions with more non answers, but he is still learning. Id rather his weakness be his media savvieness than his coach abilities.

How about some articles that talk about the great second half adjustments that led to that comeback. How about some stories on our secondary and how the youth is going to step up. How about looking at crick's struggles this season? How about any story about football. Id rather be reading about the players on this team and strategies instead of boorish article after article of TM and Bo.

And the references to media like how the columbus media didnt like bo.....um id like to see some facts. There is still a sprinkling out here in columbus that bo is on the radar for osu, it may not be during the upcoming sanction years but the post sanction years. Also the columbus media is more focused on its own problems if anyone has noticed.

I think some people are stuck in a rut here and when the only negative thing the writers forum posters can come up with is how Bo isnt as media savvy and quotable as someone like Gruden then that leaves me to believe things are going pretty good for this program.

Ill end with "I dont post much but when I do post I always post with a dos equis in my hand"

You know I've never had a problem with Bo's behavior even when we have lost. It's who he is. He's passionate and fiery. That translates into some impressive effort by his kids (most of the time) so why extinguish the fire to be media savvy?

Because the game is over. Be fiery and passionate during the game, but after, you have to be a civilized human being.

If you saw a random guy being a dick to someone for no reason, would you think it was okay because hes passionate and fiery? Or would you think he was a douche and "that guy"? I would hope the latter. So why is it okay for Bo Pelini to act like he does outside of the game? Bc he's head coach of Nebraska?

You know I've never had a problem with Bo's behavior even when we have lost. It's who he is. He's passionate and fiery. That translates into some impressive effort by his kids (most of the time) so why extinguish the fire to be media savvy?

Because the game is over. Be fiery and passionate during the game, but after, you have to be a civilized human being.

Being fiery and passionate doesn't make someone uncivilized.

If you saw a random guy being a dick to someone for no reason, would you think it was okay because hes passionate and fiery? Or would you think he was a douche and "that guy"? I would hope the latter. So why is it okay for Bo Pelini to act like he does outside of the game? Bc he's head coach of Nebraska?

It's hardly "for no reason" in the case of Dirk constantly trying to get a reaction out of him.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I love the un-named sources and the disillusioned threats that the press will impact our NC chances .......... losing a game with impact our chances and strength of schedule. The AP has a vote but and an undefeated BIG 10+2 champ will get to play for it all more often than not. Also as far as impact, our fans attending bowl games like they do has more impact on bowl selection than some wishing in one hand reporter.

Everyone in this whole situation just needs to take a breath...

Take a deep breath Bo

...you too Dirk & Lee

...and yes, we fans need to take a deep breath also.

One thing this week is true....at some point or another everyone involved in this fiasco has been wrong.

Let's start with Bo:

Is Bo Pelini the best example for how a head coach should handle the media? No. Bo is who he is, which is he is pretty black & white, and yes sometimes his hard edge, no-nonsense, old-school attitude has rubbed people the wrong way. From the media, to the fans, to opposing coaches, heck even some of his own players have been pushed to the limit by Bo's style. But does this make Bo a bad coach? Does this brash personality mean that he is not cut out for being a head coach? I say no on both counts.

Yes, Bo has work to do with handling the media, especially the ones that get under his skin (umm...paging Dirk Chatelain & Lee Barfknecht) Bo has to realize, and I believe he is beginning to that the media will write what they want, and they will speak their minds...sometimes sheepishly disguising their articles as "well this is what the fans want to know." More often than not Bo must rise above it. However, when someone deliberately goes on a personal attack of one of his players by concocting an erroneous story or by asking childish and unprofessional questions at a press conference, then I believe Bo has every right to stand up and defend his player, and his program.

When it comes to the media Bo has not always been in the right, but on Saturday night Bo had every right to react the way he did to Dirk Chatelain's article and line of questioning.

Let's move on to Dirk Chatelain & Lee Barfknecht...or this week they should be known as (Dumb & Dumber):

Where did they go wrong? There is a hidden line in journalism that defines what type of journalist somebody is. Most journalists stick to the facts, report what they see and hear, and do not interject themselves into the story itself...they just report on the story. Then there are journalists who are on the other side of the line who tend to blend what is fact & what is fiction, and they become part of the story themselves. In some circles this could be known as tabloid journalism, and Dirk & Lee...you crossed that line this week.

Now I understand that columnists are opinion writers, and they are entitled to their opinions. But when columnists blend what is fact & what is fiction, when they write articles thatimply that someone said something when they really didn't, and when they stoop below the expected level of their profession then it is a cause for concern for the general public.

Overall, I have had no problems with Dirk or Lee in the past. I have enjoyed reading some of their previous articles. But Dirk's writings and actions over the past weekend, and then Lee's obvious article in defense of Dirk were at the least...childish & petty. It has been a disappointing thing to witness, especially from what most consider to be a highly respected institution in that of the Omaha World Herald.

Dirk & Lee know better and they were in the wrong this week. I hope those with higher authority and more professional clout at the Omaha World Herald will at least consider reigning in this type of classless journalism.

Finally, we the fans:

Where did we the fans go wrong? Over the last decade or so we the fans have had a tendency of being too personal when it comes to our concerns towards how our favorite team is playing. Maybe it is due to the rise in social media, but there has been a portion of us who at times forget that these players which we voice our concerns and angst are young college athletes...and they are college students first! They are young 18-22 year old men who are playing the sport that they love, and they are trying to do their best every time they step on the field. Do they always play up to their talent level every-single-play of every-single-game? No, of course not! But yet, many times we as fans forget this.

It is ok for fans to cheer when their team is playing well, and it is ok for fans to boo when their team isn't playing well. That is their right as fans. But let's leave all of these personal and sometimes nasty cheap shots towards the players out of the discussion...it isn't necessary.

In Conclusion:

Bo knows fair journalism when he sees it, but he will call out cheap attacks on his program every time. Bo knows that he is not always the most gracious with the media, and this is an area where he can improve.

Dirk & Lee know that they can get a rise out of Bo and the fans by what they write. But doing it just for the sake of getting attention towards what you write is petty & unprofessional. Go ahead and keep writing your opinions, but stop blurring what is fact & what is fiction.

Finally, the fans know that we LOVE our Huskers, and sometimes that passion that we have for this team, both good & bad, can go overboard at certain times. We have to learn to leave the personal attacks of the players and coaches on the sidelines.

So...take a breath Bo

...you too Dirk & Lee

...us too Husker fans.

Let us all regroup, enjoy this bye week, and get ready for the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

I'm going to go take a deep breath.

Being fiery and passionate doesn't make someone uncivilized.

It's hardly "for no reason" in the case of Dirk constantly trying to get a reaction out of him.

Outside of sports and work it does. Maybe Im just a big fan on treating people with respect, I don't know.

And Im not just talking about what happened with Dirk. Hes done these things for all four years hes been here.

Everyone in this whole situation just needs to take a breath...

[...] But when columnists blend what is fact & what is fiction, when they write articles thatimply that someone said something when they really didn't, and when they stoop below the expected level of their profession then it is a cause for concern for the general public.

Just curious... what part of Dirk's (or even Lee's) story was flat out fiction? I don't want to stir the pot too much, but as far as I recall, Bo has told more flat out lies than these critical columns...