What Taylor needs to improve upon...

I don't know whether he's as fast this year as last year, but I do believe he's as fast or faster than Wilson at Wisconsin. Wilson makes defenses pay when his pocket breaks down. Martinez typically takes a sack. I'm really beginning to wonder after watching Michigan State against Wisconsin if we really have the speed we claim to have? I realize we have blazing speed at the skill positions, but I don't think our DL has the speed that Michigan State has because their DL was able to catch Wilson while Wilson simply ran circles around ours. A lot of times when the pocket breaks down on Martinez, he just ducks his head and takes a hit. I think he has the ability to escape and make things happen.

Our speed people love to refer to is indeed mostly on offense. We just have such copious amounts of it there that it gives us great perceived team speed.

In reality, our speed on defense = David and possibly Stafford. Fonzie is quite fast, but he just plays his position so well that he's hardly ever out of position and therefore seldom needs to use it. Stafford is the opposite... He's still so new to the defense that he is caught out of position a lot and is forced to use his speed to catch up. Sadly, even Cam has looked slow on the D-Line. I remember distinctly last game a time when he could not disengage his O-lineman in time to make a tackle on a RB, and the RB cut it up for a gain. So, our D-line is slow (but hopefully powerful-- looking at you to bring the beef, Rome), Compton and Fisher are slow, and In reality, both our safeties are slow (Stafford since he is out of position so much, and Cassidy is... Cassidy). Our defensive speed equates to David and a couple (hopefully SJB keeps it up) very solid corners who do their job well. I do think we can win with this D, but we DEFINITELY need to upgrade the speed and athleticism.

I didn't read this whole thread but was frustrated after reading the first 10 or so posts stating how great eric crouch is and how much better of a runner he is than Martinez. Eric Crouch was great but lets compare both of their sophomore years to see who is the better runner and passer.

Eric Crouch Full season

Passing completion % 51.9, 83 out of 160, 7TD's, 4 INT's Rushing 4.9 ypc 180 attempts 16TD's

Martinez current year only 7 games played

Passing completion % 54.97 83 out of 151, 7TD's, 6 INT's Rushing 5.78 ypc, 110 attempts 9TD's

Taylor's numbers are right on par if not better in all area's except for 2 INT's with 9 fewer passes. Those who say right now that Eric was a better runner might want to look at the ypc versus how pretty a run is before saying that Eric was the better runner as a sophomore. Looking at these stats makes me excited to see if Taylor can grow like Crouch and be our next potential Heisman winner at this point you can say he is on par. Lets give this kid some credit. New offense, New Coach, New Conference and yet he is still on par. Thanks for letting me ramble :) GBR!!!

Edited by HuskerTD

I don't know whether he's as fast this year as last year, but I do believe he's as fast or faster than Wilson at Wisconsin. Wilson makes defenses pay when his pocket breaks down. Martinez typically takes a sack. I'm really beginning to wonder after watching Michigan State against Wisconsin if we really have the speed we claim to have? I realize we have blazing speed at the skill positions, but I don't think our DL has the speed that Michigan State has because their DL was able to catch Wilson while Wilson simply ran circles around ours. A lot of times when the pocket breaks down on Martinez, he just ducks his head and takes a hit. I think he has the ability to escape and make things happen.

It all comes down to pocket awareness - another major thing he needs to work on. But, Wilson has been operating out of a true pocket for 5 seasons now. Taylor could probably count on his fingers and toes the number of true pockets he's been in the last 1.5 seasons. Wisconsin's pocket looks like a perfect egg. Nebraska's pocket looks like someone squashed a portion of that egg and a small running back is bleading out the edge.

I have seen Taylor notice the pocket is breaking down, turn to scramble, and run right into either a defender or his own guy on multiple occasions this year though. He's probably too locked on the receiver to be aware of what's going on around him. It's also a matter of footwork. He doesn't have those happy feet in there. He's flat footed and planted. There's a reason why guys dance around in the pocket. His poor footwork extends beyond his accuracy - it causes issues in other places as well.

I didn't read this whole thread but was frustrated after reading the first 10 or so posts stating how great eric crouch is and how much better of a runner he is than Martinez. Eric Crouch was great but lets compare both of their sophomore years to see who is the better runner and passer.

Eric Crouch Full season

Passing completion % 51.9, 83 out of 160, 7TD's, 4 INT's Rushing 4.9 ypc 180 attempts 16TD's

Passing completion % 54.97 83 out of 151, 7TD's, 6 INT's Rushing 5.78 ypc, 110 attempts 9TD's

Taylor's numbers are right on par if not better in all area's except for 2 INT's with 9 fewer passes. Those who say right now that Eric was a better runner might want to look at the ypc versus how pretty a run is before saying that Eric was the better runner as a sophomore. Looking at these stats makes me excited to see if Taylor can grow like Crouch and be our next potential Heisman winner at this point you can say he is on par. Lets give this kid some credit. New offense, New Coach, New Conference and yet he is still on par. Thanks for letting me ramble :) GBR!!!

If you seriously consider statistics to tell the whole story then you have problems. If you think that Martinez is as good a runner as Crouch and has the same combination of elusiveness, vision and speed you are sadly mistaken. Frazier's rushing stats weren't great either.

Bo and Beck have been telling him to avoid contact because Carnes is not ready to take over. We really have no legitimate backup, and they're still trying to get to the B1G Championship game. Without Taylor you can pretty much toss that dream out the window.

This is true. But then the coaching staff should counter with a little more RexCat and let the RB's take the pounding. Because we are not going to win games against good defense with hesitant playcalling and running.

Most of his issues are caused by his seeming need to make a great play on every single down. That's why he makes some bad throws, that's why he throws bad pitches at the last second. He needs to realize that it's okay if they lose a yard or two, and that it's okay if he throws the ball out of bounds. I do feel like he's been better at it lately, but the Minnesota game there were quite a few ugly plays. But maybe he was just thinking "It's Minnesota and we have a comfortable lead, so I'll try to make something out of nothing because it won't matter."

I didn't read this whole thread but was frustrated after reading the first 10 or so posts stating how great eric crouch is and how much better of a runner he is than Martinez. Eric Crouch was great but lets compare both of their sophomore years to see who is the better runner and passer. Eric Crouch Full season Passing completion % 51.9, 83 out of 160, 7TD's, 4 INT's Rushing 4.9 ypc 180 attempts 16TD's Martinez current year only 7 games played Passing completion % 54.97 83 out of 151, 7TD's, 6 INT's Rushing 5.78 ypc, 110 attempts 9TD's Taylor's numbers are right on par if not better in all area's except for 2 INT's with 9 fewer passes. Those who say right now that Eric was a better runner might want to look at the ypc versus how pretty a run is before saying that Eric was the better runner as a sophomore. Looking at these stats makes me excited to see if Taylor can grow like Crouch and be our next potential Heisman winner at this point you can say he is on par. Lets give this kid some credit. New offense, New Coach, New Conference and yet he is still on par. Thanks for letting me ramble :) GBR!!!
If you seriously consider statistics to tell the whole story then you have problems. If you think that Martinez is as good a runner as Crouch and has the same combination of elusiveness, vision and speed you are sadly mistaken. Frazier's rushing stats weren't great either.

First of all this is comparing his sophomore year not senior year, secondly you can say all you want about juke moves and vision and what ever but at the end of the day its about ypc. I am not taking anything away from Crouch I am showing those who like to dog on Taylor and those who compare him to Crouch are a little off the rocker. If you read what I said above I hope Taylor can progress like Eric Crouch because he is on pace atm not that he will or it is certain just that he is on track. I will take a back who gets 6 ypc period even if he can't go side to side just north and south. Do you know why because 6 + 6 = 12 and you only need 10 for a first down. But hey why don't you try and dog Taylor because I am sure you are one of them. Again juke moves are only good if it adds to your YPC sooooooo......

Eric Crouch Full season

Oh BTW your point about Fraziers rushing stats not being that good either, well they are pretty dang good and here are his sophomore stats below to show otherwise.

Rushing 5.6 ypc 126 attempts 9TD's

Took a long time for this thread to get to the point Knappl made.

Martinez has clearly been instructed by the staff not to get hurt: to hook slide or go out of bounds, and avoid contact wherever possible. You can see the difference from last year. As soon as Martinez hits open field, he's looking for the best way to go down. It's too bad, but I think it's the coaches' mandate. You really don't want to see Brion Carnes in there when it matters.

I honestly think he's as fast as he was last year. It's the hesitation as he prepares to be tackled that throws you off.

I think his footwork is a bigger concern than his arm. He stays flatfooted in the pocket way too long. QBs who are vastly slower than Taylor Martinez learn how to take a couple steps forward or back, or just read the collapsing pocket faster to buy them the time they need. I think someone may have put in his head not to get "happy feet" on every passing play, and he mistakes not running with not moving.

I don't care so much about the hitch in his arm. I actually think he's a pretty exciting passer. In the history of Nebraska QBs, his fast slants, sideline posts and endzone fades are better than most, and far better than Eric Crouch. And last Saturday - as he did last year against Texas & others - Martinez placed some beautiful long balls exactly where they needed to be only to have them clank off the receivers hands.

In a weird way, I think Martinez needs to be both tutored and unleashed. As he stands, I still rank him as one of Nebraska's most exciting quarterbacks.

I'm also guessing he might benefit by knowing the fans are behind him, and not second guessing his every move.

Especially on a team where the defense deserves the vast majority of scrutiny.

• Fire 1

Perhaps the title should've been, "What could Taylor do to take another leap forward? Thereby implying that you believe he has taken a leap forward and is improving, but also feel that he has stuff to improve on and what he has to improve on would be the topic of this conversation; thus eliminating the need for the tangent seen on page 1.

**Crisis Averted** You all have a nice day now.

Martinez needs to improve on not being a sophomore. He'll be better as a junior and better as a senior. He'll never be a very good passer, but maybe he can make better decisions with more experience.

True. He won't ever be a Landry Jones [who some people would like to see, but accept that he isn't], but like Beck said, "He could punt it to the guy, so long as he gets it to the right guy". And his decision making will improve as he matures with experience as a QB, much like it does with every other QB in the NCAA. I have yet to see someone regress as he plays more.