Rex Burkhead

Next year he should be in it. Luck, Wilson, and Generic Boise QB #3 will all be gone and he has made a name for himself this year. He should start out next year in the running and hopefully perform all season and bring it home.

^Agreed. Our O-Line will be more experienced next year too, giving Rex an even better opportunity to rack up the stats and get a shot at the Heisman.

He's just not flashy enough to win the heisman. This year, it looks like Trent Richardson along with the QBs. I think that Rex has a shot at entering the heisman race next year, but to win it, it takes one or two 200 yd games. I love the consistency that Rex brings to the team, and I wouldn't trade him for any other RB in the nation, I just don't see him getting super serious consideration for the heisman.

In order to win the Heisman as running back, I think you need to definitely fall in the 1600+ yards range, have 20+ touchdowns, play on a championship caliber team, have pre-season hype and make big plays in big games. Burkhead could get in the 1600 yard park, could have around 20 touchdowns (probably more at this pace), but didn't have the pre-season hype nor has he made many plays yet that I would characterize as traditional Heisman-esque plays.

Burkhead is a tough, grind it out back. He doesn't have great speed or power, but he has a really good combination of both. As another poster mentioned, he's just not that flashy of a player either.

And as recent history suggests, if you're not playing for a MNC, your chances are slim.

I think he has potential next year, though.

To put it simple, he is a star in Nebraska. Thats it, thats all. I see where espn B10 bloggers give him Mr Oct, which is nice and all, but Coker was reconized nationally, BIG difference. Thats what it takes to win a heisman. I am not saying Coker ever will, but he does have 2 more years after this one to punish the B10. http://www.bigten.org/blog/2011/10/two-big-ten-players-earn-college-football-performance-awards.html