Sad day for the B1G and Penn State, AD, Ex-football coach and more arrest warrants!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/11/07/penn-state-officials-head-to-court-amid-cover-up-allegations-sex-abuse-scandal/

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-400_162-57319464/penn-state-sex-scandal-prompts-2-resignations/

"Resignations of famed football coach Joe Paterno and Spanier weren't discussed at the meeting, which was arranged Sunday and lasted two hours, university spokesman Bill Mahon said."

First foot drops!

http://msn.foxsports...Sandusky-110611?

I think Paterno is full of sh#t.

Certainly that statement was. It's embarrassing and I say this as a PSU fan. Did Paterno even read it or have anything to do with crafting it? Your guess is as good as mine but I'm guessing no. That's how out of control this program is...most PSU fans I know think Paterno should have retired 15 years ago and by refusing to do so has in effect been holding the program hostage ever since. Frankly, I'm sick of the guy. He was a wonderful coach and mentor. He's a legend of the game, with good reason. But there's a time to move on and if you can't accept that and do so you become a charichature of yourself. Paterno is 84. He should be touring cathedrals in Italy, not pretending to coach a program he has no control over from a coaches box.

There are two groups I feel for in this. First and foremost its got to be the victims of these horrible crimes. It's a shame this wasn't addressed sooner, hopefully there will be something approaching justice coming out of this and they can somehow live their lives a little more comfortably. These kids were failed by people that should've saved them, in my mind that GA and anyone else who didn't report it is just as guilty as the molester for enabling him.

The second group I feel for (much less than the victims but still) are PSU fans. We CFB fans, the real ones, can't control our love for our schools. We didn't choose them, it happened and we're in it for life, even if we have next to no control over the programs...and then sh#t likes this happens. As a fan its just got to wreck you.

How about the PSU players? They're going to be the ones heckled for years to come about something they had no control over.

Wait. Are you suggesting that because Penn State employed a coach who it sure looks like was a child abuser that Wisconsin fans will heckle Penn State players going forward calling them child abusers? Is that seriously your point?

Yes, that was seriously my point. :huh:

Right or wrong, to think that Penn State won't get heckled for years to come over this is wishful thinking.

The more I read about the situation the sicker I get. I don't understand how any institution could allow one man to be alone with young minors. That is a major no-no in todays world and opens them up to millions of dollars of liability plus the complete ruin of their reputation. The biggest damage is the emotional fallout to 40 some boys who have to live with those thoughts the rest of their lives. I have my doubts PSU can recover from this. I fear the worst is yet to come for their program.

40? 40 kids!

wow, that guy should fry

Wait. Are you suggesting that because Penn State employed a coach who it sure looks like was a child abuser that Wisconsin fans will heckle Penn State players going forward calling them child abusers? Is that seriously your point?

Yes, that was seriously my point. :huh:

Right or wrong, to think that Penn State won't get heckled for years to come over this is wishful thinking.

It's been 16 years and we're still hearing about Lawrence Phillips. Sometimes it's the first thing out of the mouths of our opponents.

It depends a lot on what comes out in the trial, but any time Paterno is brought up you're going to have people digging at you based on this. There's always "that guy."

I don't understand why folks are throwing Paterno under the bus. No one has said Paterno was involved. No witnesses have said he was involved.

Sandusky was the guy doing the abusing over the past 15 years. Curley and Schultz are being charged with covering it up and not going to the police.

The only black stain i can see on Paterno is when a grad assistant and his father came to him and reported what they saw Sandusky doing, and Joe reported it to Curley. Which Curley is saying that Paterno never told him. But apparently the grand jury believe his is lying about that.

Apparently Sandusky has been under investigation for the abuse since 2008, but this is when he was officially charged.

I guess i don't understand why folks are saying he needs to go to jail or be fired.

I don't understand why folks are throwing Paterno under the bus. No one has said Paterno was involved. No witnesses have said he was involved.

Sandusky was the guy doing the abusing over the past 15 years. Curley and Schultz are being charged with covering it up and not going to the police.

The only black stain i can see on Paterno is when a grad assistant and his father came to him and reported what they saw Sandusky doing, and Joe reported it to Curley. Which Curley is saying that Paterno never told him. But apparently the grand jury believe his is lying about that.

Apparently Sandusky has been under investigation for the abuse since 2008, but this is when he was officially charged.

Paterno is responsible because after he notified his superior and it was clear it was being swept under the rug, he let it lie rather than press the matter or go to the police himself. Everyone in the chain of command had the obligation to make sure the law got involved, and everyone in the chain of command abdicated their moral and legal responsibility to do so.

Paterno has culpability because Pennsylvania has an automatic-reporter law. Once he was informed something like this happened, he is bound by state law to report it to the police. He was, allegedly, informed by the Grad Asst, and did not go to the police.

Not sure what the statute of limitations on this is, but I don't think Paterno is being prosecuted for anything. But he certainly didn't do everything in his power to protect these children. That's where he's (justifiably, in my opinion) taking flak.

Well if that is the case, you might as well hold the Grad Asst. and his father accountable as well. Not to mention the janitor who witnessed a different incident. They all reported the incident to the school administrators but not the police.

They are responsible. The GA in question is Mike McQueary, currently on the coaching staff. He probably won't survive the purge from this. His father and the janitor are morally wrong for not exposing the matter, even if they technically can't be charged with anything. Curley and Schultz are being charged with crimes because they lied to a grand jury investigation about their roles in the matter.

Anyone who knew about this and did not get the police involved effectively let it continue. McQueary told JoePa that he witnessed Sandusky fondling and committing sexual acts on what he estimated was a ten-year-old boy - in the Penn State showers. There's no gray area there. You go to the damn police about something like that. Paterno did not, even after the issue died in the chain of command. That is a failure of the highest order on his part.

• Fire 1

Well if that is the case, you might as well hold the Grad Asst. and his father accountable as well. Not to mention the janitor who witnessed a different incident. They all reported the incident to the school administrators but not the police.

They are responsible. The GA in question is Mike McQueary, currently on the coaching staff. He probably won't survive the purge from this. His father and the janitor are morally wrong for not exposing the matter, even if they technically can't be charged with anything. Curley and Schultz are being charged with crimes because they lied to a grand jury investigation about their roles in the matter.

Anyone who knew about this and did not get the police involved effectively let it continue. McQueary told JoePa that he witnessed Sandusky fondling and committing sexual acts on what he estimated was a ten-year-old boy - in the Penn State showers. There's no gray area there. You go to the damn police about something like that. Paterno did not, even after the issue died in the chain of command. That is a failure of the highest order on his part.

I have agreed with everything you have said in this thread. +100

People are defending JoPa? It was his duty once that grad assistant walked through his door to see it through to authorities. How can he be "shocked and saddened" to hear about all of this now, when he received first hand reports of it happening?

I hope they burn that athletic department to the f'ing ground. Screw penalties and restrictions. This is bigger than athletics and scholarships.

I have agreed with everything you have said in this thread. +100

People are defending JoPa? It was his duty once that grad assistant walked through his door to see it through to authorities. How can he be "shocked and saddened" to hear about all of this now, when he received first hand reports of it happening?

I hope they burn that athletic department to the f'ing ground. Screw penalties and restrictions. This is bigger than athletics and scholarships.

Completely agree

The Pennsylvania attorney general just had a news conference. JoePa is apparently shielded from future charges, but when the press asked about PSU President Graham Spanier - former Nebraska chancellor - he said "no comment."

This case is still opening up. It could get much bigger. The authorities are searching for more victims. Give Sandusky's access to kids, there are probably many more out there. Ugh.