Another thread about crowd noise and fans at the game

Landlord

You could definitely tell watching the game on TV that the team came out flat and so did the crowd. Sometimes our crowd can get the team fired up, but I guess the fans just had no interest in doing that.

Yeah...we didn't lose because the fans failed to fire up the team. If the team needs that to get amped up, then I guess we can just pencil in 6 or so losses every year for every away game.

I've watched this team a long time and I tell you it's almost like watching another team out there when the crowd gets behind these guys.

I would really be curious to hear what current and explayers have to say about this. Usually when you're in an intense game you're so focused that you don't even notice the crowd or other outside agencies. I realize the overwhelming din of 85,000 probably can't be ignored, but I really wonder how much they pay attention to it. Just curious.

You could definitely tell watching the game on TV that the team came out flat and so did the crowd. Sometimes our crowd can get the team fired up, but I guess the fans just had no interest in doing that.

Yeah...we didn't lose because the fans failed to fire up the team. If the team needs that to get amped up, then I guess we can just pencil in 6 or so losses every year for every away game.

I've watched this team a long time and I tell you it's almost like watching another team out there when the crowd gets behind these guys.

Me too. That 1995 team could have played in front of 8 people at every home game in Memorial and they still would have absolutely destroyed everyone they played.

All due respect to you, I'm just not buying this cause-and-effect argument. At all.

Something I think needs to be discussed about fan noise. For the OSU and MSU games I'll bet most in attendance were the owners of the season tickets. I'm sure yesterday probably 50% of the seats were filled by people who were given the tickets and don't go to the stadium on a regular basis. I know the lady behind me had to learn about the game from the young guy sitting next to her. To her it was an event to attend not a chance to get behind a team she loved. Multipy that by 30 to 40 thousand and no wonder crowd noise was down.

Something I think needs to be discussed about fan noise. For the OSU and MSU games I'll bet most in attendance were the owners of the season tickets. I'm sure yesterday probably 50% of the seats were filled by people who were given the tickets and don't go to the stadium on a regular basis. I know the lady behind me had to learn about the game from the young guy sitting next to her. To her it was an event to attend not a chance to get behind a team she loved. Multipy that by 30 to 40 thousand and no wonder crowd noise was down.

I know of at least ten co-workers who went to the game that only go but once a year if that. Although your numbers are probably high you may be onto something. However I don't think crowd noise had much to do with the loss. I think what Taylor Martinez had to say after the game had more to do with it. He said that the team may have been looking past NW and looking towards Penn State. I believe that more than the crowd noise argument. Either way the Huskers did not play well enough to win the game.

yea, blame the blue hairs, they caused this loss no question. Grandma not screaming at the top of her lungs let a 2nd string QB run through our defensive genious .'s grand defense.

What a load of crap.

Blame the real problem!!!!

Bo Pelini, no one else. It is his MO, it has been since he got here!

You have to want to win more than live, and we have kids that do not have that intensity it appears. Why? Who knows, but is sure as hell is not the blue hairs fault.

run the blue hairs out my young grasshoppers, and just see how long Nebrasha has a football team, see how long your coveted sell out streak lasts.

Most of you have the patience of knat. Fire the coach, Tmart Sucks on and on.

Quit buying into the hype every year that we are unbeatable, we will win the conference. Our Coach has never done it. When will he? I am sure as soon as the blue hairs are gone. Get a clue.

How pathetic of a fan showing did we have today? At least there weren't any boos (that I could hear on tv) but my goodness, you couldn't hear anybody making any noise whatsoever besides the students on the television set; someone that was there, is that how it sounded live? I saw Bo even pleading to the crowd to make some noise - in the 4th quarter Northwestern had a 3rd or 4th down and they cut to a shot of a few older gentlemen sitting down looking around, seemingly oblivious to anything game-related.

GET OFF YOUR DADGUM REAR END AND MAKE SOME NOISE! And everyone that left with over 2 minutes left down 10? That's pathetic.

[/rant]

That is a big crock. Hell I could hear the crowd counting down the play clock watching the game on TV. To blame the fans for poor coaching is to buy into the argument that its the fans fault for that piss poor coaching. And who blames the fans? Pelini. Pelini because he doesn't know what he is doing 1/2 the time yet. Pelini...because he is still a young, inexperienced hothead that is a poor loser and lashes out at everyone and every thing when it hurts. Now...I have to say that "losing" when he knows he shouldn't, seems to have brought him down a notch or 2 when it comes to dealing with the press conferences after the game. He seems to have settled down a little. The more calls he get's for his head on a platter...the more humble he will become, I believe.

Oh...and by the way...just because you are a polite cusser ("dad gum") doesn't mean that you aren't a prick. And just because a few fans leave early doesn't make them pathetic. It just means they have better or other things to do. Hell...I dont sit around in a theater and watch a movie that I don't like. They paid for their tickets, they can leave anytime they want.

You whiney little fans that cry like this after a loss need to get some balance in your pathetic little lives. And for those of you that want the "blue hairs" to leave so that you can get their tickets, remember...if it wasn't for those blue hairs...you wouldn't have a team to whine about. Snot nosed little punks. lol

Sometimes I think that the best thing that could happen to Nebraska would be for it's football team to go back to the pre-Devaney era of indifference...THEN...we would see who the REAL fans are. Future blue hairs no doubt.....

This is probably the best thing I have read all week. Some of you people are pretty pathetic and that goes for people on both sides of arguments (the sunshine pumpers/haters arguments or the real fan/bandwagon fan). I probably wouldn't invite many of you "real" fans or "haters" into my tailgate. This is something I wanted to get off of my chest after reading some things on this board. You said things better then I could Bob +1.

The crowd was quiet there is no denying it. I think if people want the crowd to get louder than the people in charge of playing the music need to do something. During timeouts and between quarters you would think we are doing a moment of silence, it gets way to quiet. Watching the Wisconsin fans I think we need to do something along the lines of the jump around. I know we will get made fun of by copying them but we need to do something to get people up, moving, and yelling. Dont know if I was the only one that noticed this but....one time during the NW game they started playing "Let me clear my throat" and the entire student section started dancing. Why do we not do this more often. At least it looked like the crowd was into at that point.

You know, I am getting pretty tired of everyone saying that the lack of crowd noise is ALL "blue hairs". There are 85,000 people in that stadium. 95% are not over the age of 60. Look around, I saw plenty of 20-40 year old fans sitting on their hands doing nothing. I do not consider myself a "blue hair" nor do I just sit during the game, but this excuse that the "only" ones not making noise are the old folks. That's a bunch of crap.

Here are Northwestern's ranks in the four major defensive stat categories, year-to-date:

Rushing Defense - 84

Pass Efficiency Defense - 103

Scoring Defense - 88

Total Defense - 96

That's after our game. They were worse before - prior to our game, their highest rank in any of these four categories was 90th in the nation.

This is a team that entered the game 3-5 on the season, 1-4 in the Big Ten. They lost by double digits at home to Penn St. and Michigan, and at Iowa.

This is a team that LOST TO ARMY.

I should not have to stand and scream all game long to "pump up" the Huskers to win this game (note: I did anyway). We have talent advantages on this team all over the field. It is absurd to point a finger at the crowd for this game.

I cannot stand the griping at the crowd for being non-energetic when our team is losing at home to Northwestern.

• Fire 2

Here are Northwestern's ranks in the four major defensive stat categories, year-to-date:

Rushing Defense - 84

Pass Efficiency Defense - 103

Scoring Defense - 88

Total Defense - 96

That's after our game. They were worse before - prior to our game, their highest rank in any of these four categories was 90th in the nation.

This is a team that entered the game 3-5 on the season, 1-4 in the Big Ten. They lost by double digits at home to Penn St. and Michigan, and at Iowa.

This is a team that LOST TO ARMY.

I should not have to stand and scream all game long to "pump up" the Huskers to win this game (note: I did anyway). We have talent advantages on this team all over the field. It is absurd to point a finger at the crowd for this game.

I cannot stand the griping at the crowd for being non-energetic when our team is losing at home to Northwestern.

YES :yeah