Nebraska vs. Penn State

I think this will be an interesting game. We are playing in their house but I think we'll go up there and play lights out football. I'm hoping that Bo gives the boys a day off just to rest, not only physically but mentally too. I'm sure they took a beating on the social networks last night.

What does Penn State have to offer? From what I read of the comments on the blog from Adam Rittenburg's column, PSU fans think their team stinks. But they may have an edge as they are playing at home? However, I remember a Nebraska team that went down to Oklahoma State and played an amazing game.

I think we win this one.

Here are some interesting comments from a PSU message board about how they think they will fare this weekend:

"Nebraska-23

Penn State-13

Defense can only carry a team for so long. Two second half turnovers by the offense will give Nebraska two scores. If the Lions had a quarterback worth anything, I would say Penn State wins. Penn State has everything else in place to win, except for an inept passing game. Even the best defenses get tired when they've been on the field for too long, because the offense has too many 3 and outs."

"Nebraska 30 Penn State 13

We are simply too offensively predictable and short on "O" talent this year to compete with the top tier programs." (Nice being recognized as a top tier program!)

"We match up against Nebraska nicely. I think that we are good against a running team. We are at home. Dereck Moye is back. We have 2 weeks to rest and prepare. I think we can hold Nebraska to 3 scores or less. This is our most winnable game (of the last three). Somehow I think the offense comes through. PSU 20- Neb.17. Here is a surprising fact: we are at the top of the B1G in defense but close to last in defense red zone scoring. We keep them out of the red zone but once they get into it, we are not that great. I hope that 1/2 the Nebraska team get minor injuries this week that keep them out for only one game.

Fingers crossed! "

"

I think PSU wins this one. We have hung in all year and I think it continues.

It will be a defensive battle. The offense needs a good game and Matt McGloin

Penn State 21

Nebraska 17"

Penn State 17 - Nebraska 14

"My heart tells me that Penn State will win. Penn State has found a way to win this season.

My head tells me that PSU's offense will struggle which will lead to the Nittany Lion's defense tiring, and Nebraska will win.

I'm going with my heart and picking Penn State."

So! I also think Nebraska will win because Penn State's attention as a team will be divided since the news broke about one of their AD and Sandusky.

GO BIG RED!!!!

If we can stretch the field against their defense (something we didn't do well against Northwestern) then we should do well against PSU. Congrats to Taylor M for what was probably his best game since OSU last year. He made good decisions for the most part and I can see him maturing nicely. I'm not sure why Beck didn't try to go deep against NW more often. Perhaps the wind was a factor. We mostly had one on one coverage since they were overplaying the run. The one time I remember going deep we benefitted from pass interference.

I don't think PSU's offense is nearly as potent as NW's was. The 2nd Qb they used was able to run effectively against our D when the pass wasn't there. Running Qb's have been the downfall of our defense since Pelini arrived and even in the 03 season when he was D coordinator. From what I have seen and read, PSU has one Qb who is a pocket passer and another who is somewhat effect running. Guess which one we will probably see this saturday!

If we can stretch the field against their defense (something we didn't do well against Northwestern) then we should do well against PSU. Congrats to Taylor M for what was probably his best game since OSU last year. He made good decisions for the most part and I can see him maturing nicely. I'm not sure why Beck didn't try to go deep against NW more often. Perhaps the wind was a factor. We mostly had one on one coverage since they were overplaying the run. The one time I remember going deep we benefitted from pass interference.

I don't think PSU's offense is nearly as potent as NW's was. The 2nd Qb they used was able to run effectively against our D when the pass wasn't there. Running Qb's have been the downfall of our defense since Pelini arrived and even in the 03 season when he was D coordinator. From what I have seen and read, PSU has one Qb who is a pocket passer and another who is somewhat effect running. Guess which one we will probably see this saturday!

From reading comments made by PSU fans, their offense is weak but they have a good defense. Is McGloin (sp?) the pocket passer? We had great success with MSU because that's the type of passer Cousins was-right? I really like our chances against PSU. If we play PSU the way we played MSU we can beat them.

Here's the deal, PSUcks has only played one legitimate powerhouse in Alabama, and we know how that went. Playing cupcakes {and barely winning mind you} won't prepare them for Nebraska. I think the Huskers will be angry when they hit the field on saturday, looking to punch somebody in the mouth. Plus the on going issues with former DC Sandusky and PSUcks AD will be a distraction.

Nebraska - 24 Penn State - 10

I think we can/will beat Penn State and Michigan. This loss is going to fire the boys up and that game the day after Thanksgiving might just mean something afterall. I hope like hell Iowa does their part and takes out MSU. If not it won't matter much other than getting to a better bowl so the players can experience the better bowl.

After the PSU staff watches the NU/NU game, I will not be suprised to see Bolden on the field again. McGloin is a poor man's Krik Cousins with a worse arm. I expect to see a strong dose of Silas Redd between the tackles and would not be shocked one bit to see Bolden come in to run some zone read with Redd.

Also will not be shocked to see Derek Moye lining up in the slot to avoid the matchup against Zo. That leaves Zo probably matching up with Justin Brown a ton(PSU's second leading receiver) and Andrew matching up on Devon Smith. Ideally SJ-B gets 100% healthy this week and can take Ciante's spot as the nickel. Not only is this a bigger body to hang on Moye but also helps provide a big body in run support against Redd.

This probably will be an ugly, low scoring defensive game. The early start, playing on grass for the first time this season, and probably being cold will all contribute to this. Hopefully Beck pulls out some stuff that has been collecting dust as far as plays and formations that will help spread the field and utilize some potential mismatches with personel.

After the PSU staff watches the NU/NU game, I will not be suprised to see Bolden on the field again. McGloin is a poor man's Krik Cousins with a worse arm. I expect to see a strong dose of Silas Redd between the tackles and would not be shocked one bit to see Bolden come in to run some zone read with Redd.

Also will not be shocked to see Derek Moye lining up in the slot to avoid the matchup against Zo. That leaves Zo probably matching up with Justin Brown a ton(PSU's second leading receiver) and Andrew matching up on Devon Smith. Ideally SJ-B gets 100% healthy this week and can take Ciante's spot as the nickel. Not only is this a bigger body to hang on Moye but also helps provide a big body in run support against Redd.

This probably will be an ugly, low scoring defensive game. The early start, playing on grass for the first time this season, and probably being cold will all contribute to this. Hopefully Beck pulls out some stuff that has been collecting dust as far as plays and formations that will help spread the field and utilize some potential mismatches with personel.

Sounds about right. Penn State is not an offense designed to score a lot of points. And it is not one that can come from behind. PSU's game is a contain defense that keeps the score low coupled with a grind it out ball control running game. Actually, that's been PSU's game plan for the past 5,000 years. No kidding, 5,000 years ago some PSU QB was grunting in the huddle, "Hrmph. Me hand off to Oog. Oog go left off guard. Make three yards. Hrmph."