Is running a clean program important to you?

How many remember the firestorm we had around here in the last years of Dr Toms tenure? The program very nearly sold its soul to acquire the elite athletes needed to win 3 national championships. I won't say there was money under the table or athletes parents were suddenly driving new cars but hardly a month went by when one of our players was in the news and in trouble with the law. I realize many if not most prominant programs are in the same boat and that 18 to 22 year old gravitate to trouble like a bear to honey. We were all 18 once!

How many remember the firestorm we had around here in the last years of Dr Toms tenure? The program very nearly sold its soul to acquire the elite athletes needed to win 3 national championships. I won't say there was money under the table or athletes parents were suddenly driving new cars but hardly a month went by when one of our players was in the news and in trouble with the law. I realize many if not most prominant programs are in the same boat and that 18 to 22 year old gravitate to trouble like a bear to honey. We were all 18 once!

Are you equating troublesome 18 year olds to "selling its soul" as a university? LP, P. Christian, T. Farley while ranging in trouble from stupid to what a waste and an embarrassment hardly fit the mold of soul selling to win at all cost.

This.

Can we have both? I'd like to have a 9-10 win clean program for most years but every so often win a couple of championships and then choose to remember ourselves as a clean program like we did in the 90's.

Are you equating troublesome 18 year olds to "selling its soul" as a university? LP, P. Christian, T. Farley while ranging in trouble from stupid to what a waste and an embarrassment hardly fit the mold of soul selling to win at all cost.

I remember Bo in the first year of his tenure here after several players got into trouble on "O" St declared that the "O" St bars were off limits and anyone caught in those establishments were no longer going to be part of the team. What I am saying is that in the mid 90's for whatever reason players were regularly in trouble with the law for reasons ranging from theft to discharging firearms in a public place. The only thing that moved them off the team was a long stint in jail and a charge with a serious crime. While it wasn't the dumpster fire that Oklahoma was in the 80's, there were times I wondered if our program "sold it's soul".

This.

Can we have both? I'd like to have a 9-10 win clean program for most years but every so often win a couple of championships and then choose to remember ourselves as a clean program like we did in the 90's.

Exactly!

I want to see Bo keep the program clean and make it a place where parents of good/great athletes want to send their kids. There is nothing that says the 20 best kids each year who can keep their nose clean can't enroll at Nebraska. Too often we think the "good" kids aren't competitive or don't have a killer instinct. I give you Rex Burkhead.

If you ask me, there is no major program in the country that is 100% squeaky clean. If you dig deep enough there are almost always some violations that occur. Coaches cannot keep their eyes on players 24/7, and 18 to 22 year old's will act like 18 to 22 year old's. That's not even to mention that some boosters do have a "win at all cost" mentality, and may dangle carrots in front of players for their own selfish reasons.

With that being said, I would rather win 8-9 games a year with no championships, than win a title and have a scandal surface a few years down the road.

I hold my Nebraska hertiage very dear to me. I currently reside in Louisiana and most Louisianians think Nebraskans are honest, hard-working, and smart. Even if most of them could not locate Nebraska on a map. I could never support my Huskers in the prideful fashion that I do if we were thugs and thieves. I will take 9 wins and an honorable reputation for the rest of my life.

Again, what is the definition of a clean program? Are you advocating an honor code like BYU has where if you have sex with your girlfriend you are deemed morally unfit and should get suspended? I think that type of thing is not where I want to see the NU football program gravitate towards. I think you need to recruit athletes based on football skills and mentor them to grow into good men but winning is the goal and there is nothing wrong with that.

I remember Bo in the first year of his tenure here after several players got into trouble on "O" St declared that the "O" St bars were off limits and anyone caught in those establishments were no longer going to be part of the team. What I am saying is that in the mid 90's for whatever reason players were regularly in trouble with the law for reasons ranging from theft to discharging firearms in a public place. The only thing that moved them off the team was a long stint in jail and a charge with a serious crime. While it wasn't the dumpster fire that Oklahoma was in the 80's, there were times I wondered if our program "sold it's soul".

I will take 3 National titles along with having to deal with kids who act like kids and get into trouble on occasion rather than a team of teetotaler's who cannot win.