B1G Officiating

IDK what you guys are talking about because that was most definitely PI on Thorell.

Wasn't really his fault because the ball was under thrown and the WR was trying to make his way back to the ball. Lance was in the way and his back was turned (shocking) so he had no idea the where the ball was. Although it doesn't really matter that his back was turned because there isn't face guarding in CFB, he still impeded the WR's progress to the ball. Textbook PI. Know the rule before you call BS.

It was PI on Thorell, but as someone else said, UM was doing the same stuff and it wasn't called. That is where I had a problem with it. The roughing was a joke as was the non call on the offensive PI on their first drive. But that drive still would have been going since Meridith was called for a PF for pushing up the OL's face mask. So the calls wouldn't have canceled each other out, the ball would have come back and UM would have had a 1st after the 15 yard penalty. But at least the defense would have had a chance to stop them since the ball would have been around our 45 instead of inside the 5.

I slammed my hat to the ground and threw my cell phone across the room on the "roughing the punter" penalty....that was a horrid call.....pure BS...

I just lost it....

Someone said that the rule states that if you contact the punter while he is airborne, it is roughing the kicker, regardless of the amount or level of contact. I haven't looked up the rule so I can't confirm.

However, that was a game-changing penalty. Given how we played, we probably still would've lost, but as an official, you cannot make that call in that situation. Running into the kicker, definitely. Roughing? Hell no.

I slammed my hat to the ground and threw my cell phone across the room on the "roughing the punter" penalty....that was a horrid call.....pure BS...

I just lost it....

Someone said that the rule states that if you contact the punter while he is airborne, it is roughing the kicker, regardless of the amount or level of contact. I haven't looked up the rule so I can't confirm.

However, that was a game-changing penalty. Given how we played, we probably still would've lost, but as an official, you cannot make that call in that situation. Running into the kicker, definitely. Roughing? Hell no.

Definitely a game changing penalty...we were still in the game and had momentum....that took the wind right out of NEB's sails.....

You could be right about the penalty....still pisses me off

The roughing the kicker call didn't look like acting on the kicker's part to me. You might claim that he could have come down standing but I don't think he could have and the important thing is that he popped right up to watch the play and didn't seem to be feigning injury at all.

I was expecting "running into" but as others have said, perhaps there is an "airborne" clause in the rule.

Usually you see kickers lay on the ground in agony in an attempt to draw the roughing penalty. Michigan's punter did not do that, which makes me think that he didn't even think a flag was going to be thrown.

Because from what I saw, he didn't even get touched. It was pure BS, and so were the rest of the calls that everybody has mentioned above^.

I still think that we get beat with a good reffing crew, but you never know... You call PI on that first pushoff on Michigan's long pass play, and it is a whole different football game.

ARTICLE 16. a. When it is obvious that a scrimmage kick will be made, no

opponent shall run into or rough the kicker or the holder of a place kick (A.R.

9-1-16-I, III and VI).

1. Roughing is a live-ball personal foul that endangers the kicker or holder.

2. Running into the kicker or holder is a live-ball foul that occurs when the

kicker or holder is displaced from his kicking or holding position but is

not roughed (A.R. 9-1-16-II). Note: Running into the kicker carries a

five-yard penalty.

3. Incidental contact with a kicker or holder is not a foul.

4. The kicker’s protection under this rule ends (a)when he has had a

reasonable time to regain his balance(A.R. 9-1-16-IV); or (b)when he

carries the ball outside the tackle box (Rule 2-34) before kicking.

5. When a defensive player’s contact against the kicker or holder is caused

by an opponent’s block (legal or illegal), there is no foul for running into

or roughing.

6. A player who makes contact with the kicker or holder after touching the

kick is not charged with running into or roughing the kicker.

7. When a player other than one who blocks a scrimmage kick runs into or

roughs the kicker or holder, it is a foul.

8. When in question whether the foul is running into or roughing, the foul

is roughing.

--There you go, straight from the rulebook.

While I didn't think it was PI on Thorell, I'm ok with that call, in a vacuum it's a close one. But when earlier in the game a Michigan WR just shoved Fonzie to the ground with the ball in the air, and the Marlowe got wrapped up around the arms before the ball got there and neither of those were called... then you have to let Thorell's go. And the holding was just ridiculous. No officials in college football even call holding any more.

I understand the rule on roughing the kicker but there is a difference between making a call live and basing it off of a replay. If you watch it live there is no way you can call roughing on that because it's so bang bang that you can't see the contact. If you watch the slow-mo replay you can see that he barley brushes the punters plant foot which moves maybe and inch or two, but would not have affected his landing. The worst part is that the official making the call was on the backside so he vision of the contact with the plant foot was blocked by the defender, so he could not have seen the foul that he called.

There are two or three fouls in the first quarter that get called and this could have been a different ball game, not saying we would win but with the way momentum swung on the first score you never know, not to mention at least one would have given us a third down conversion.

The no call offensive pass interference call on Michigan early literally gave them a td (it was 3rd down) and on the next possession Marlowe was clearly interfered with on a 3rd down and no call. I thought the thorell PI in the end zone was more bs than the roughing punter. According to the rule, when contact is made with a punter while he is in the air it is roughing. So basically the correct call was made.

Don't really have a comment on the officiating but that was not an offensive PI. Look at the play, both players were going for the ball. One played it correctly, the other didn't.

The no call offensive pass interference call on Michigan early literally gave them a td (it was 3rd down) and on the next possession Marlowe was clearly interfered with on a 3rd down and no call. I thought the thorell PI in the end zone was more bs than the roughing punter. According to the rule, when contact is made with a punter while he is in the air it is roughing. So basically the correct call was made.

Don't really have a comment on the officiating but that was not an offensive PI. Look at the play, both players were going for the ball. One played it correctly, the other didn't.

If by played correctly, you meant forearm shivered our cornerback forward and to the ground...

• Fire 1

At first glance it looked like Dennard just bumped and fell over. But he was pushed. And it was right in front of the side judge...

• Fire 1