Yeah, and I really do not think you should be too upset about this, mwj. Hercules is right, what Osborne had was really pretty rare.

And to add to that, I wish Carl the best and everything, but I think his leaving is similar to Ekeler a year ago: under win-win circumstances. Both being effectively 'promoted' off the staff and into a pretty good opportunity of their own. If that Miami (OH) thing worked out for Shawn last year, it would have been the same with Watson. But hold your breaths, it is weird that an official announcement keeps being delayed on this one. Sounds like there are some last minute issues to be ironed out.

Yeah, and I really do not think you should be too upset about this, mwj. Hercules is right, what Osborne had was really pretty rare.

And to add to that, I wish Carl the best and everything, but I think his leaving is similar to Ekeler a year ago: under win-win circumstances. Both being effectively 'promoted' off the staff and into a pretty good opportunity of their own. If that Miami (OH) thing worked out for Shawn last year, it would have been the same with Watson. But hold your breaths, it is weird that an official announcement keeps being delayed on this one. Sounds like there are some last minute issues to be ironed out.

Two issues that need to stay private until all is done. One is easy and will get done or it would if I were FAU. The second is more difficult but not a deal breaker but is one of those "it seals the deal if it can happen". I think it's pretty much done unless Akron makes a wild push of some sort which isn't expected.

Two issues that need to stay private until all is done. One is easy and will get done or it would if I were FAU. The second is more difficult but not a deal breaker but is one of those "it seals the deal if it can happen". I think it's pretty much done unless Akron makes a wild push of some sort which isn't expected.

Probably couldn't coax you into further elaboration could we? :dunno :dunno

FAU 2011 Schedule

Sat, Sep 3 at (22) Florida L 3-41 --

Sat, Sep 10 at (17) Michigan State L 0-44 --

Sat, Sep 24 at Auburn L 14-30 --

Sat, Oct 1 at Louisiana-Lafayette L 34-37 --

Sat, Oct 8 at North Texas L 17-31 --

Sat, Oct 15 Western Kentucky L 0-20 --

Sat, Oct 22 Middle Tennessee L 14-38 --

Sat, Nov 5 Arkansas State L 21-39 --

Sat, Nov 12 at FIU L 7-41 --

Sat, Nov 19 at Troy L 7-34 --

Sat, Nov 26 UAB W 38-35 --

Sat, Dec 3 Louisiana-Monroe 4:00 pm

Only one win this year. A three point win over UAB. Ouch. Carl is going to have his work cut out for him.

I read this morning in the OWH that the reason they are delaying is that they want to give Schnellenberger (sp?) a nice send off. That this is 'Howard's time'.

I read this morning in the OWH that the reason they are delaying is that they want to give Schnellenberger (sp?) a nice send off. That this is 'Howard's time'.

As they should. He only built that program from the ground up. Literally

The FAU fans aren't sure they want Carl.

http://fauowlsnest.c...p?topic=12331.0

I also heard there is a press conference on Monday where they will announce the new Florida Atlantic coach.

Sorry if this has been posted, but it appears that FAU fans are really unhappy about hiring Carl. The thread is ripe with Bo and Carl's "highlights" from the TAMU game last year.

Personally, I hope Carl has some success down there, but they make some good points.

The FAU fans aren't sure they want Carl.

http://fauowlsnest.c...p?topic=12331.0

I also heard there is a press conference on Monday where they will announce the new Florida Atlantic coach.

Sorry if this has been posted, but it appears that FAU fans are really unhappy about hiring Carl. The thread is ripe with Bo and Carl's "highlights" from the TAMU game last year.

Personally, I hope Carl has some success down there, but they make some good points.

Good thing fans don't make the hires. Now I have no idea if Carl will be a good head coach or not, and thats kinda the point. Especially at these small Sun Belt schools, there is very rarely going to be a hire all the fans like. I mean hell, Colorado fans were very happy when they hired Hawkins, and USC fans were less than thrilled when Carrol was hired. There is just no way of knowing. They might take a little assurance that Dr. Tom recommended him for the head job.

IMHUO (humble, uninformed) I would like to see bo officially step in as HC/DC, and then spread the DC money around to the other assistants to make the jobs more attractive. Maybe that's a lot to take on and probably has a lot to do with being so used to head coaches who also run the offense, but it seems weird to me when the HC isn't the OC or DC; it makes me wonder what it is that they do that all of the assistants couldn't do if they coordinated their efforts. Yeah, the "coordinated efforts" thing requires and idealized version of humanity where no one assistant would try to take control and lead to massive in-fighting (as almost all co-equal administrative organizations do), but... meh. I guess we'll see what happens. Thought they publicly deny it, I think that Bo calls a lot of the shots on defense and it would be hard to replace a brother with a DC who has his own strong vision.

I'm surprised to hear that Mike Stoops would actually step back into a DC position. I am not sure how much Nebraska would consider it. Though I think it would be good for Bo to give the DC job to someone else. I think he should always have an input though. He just seems like the type of guy who doesn't really listen to other people's input. I think he would actually benefit from someone else in his ear. I don't know that he had that with Carl or not. Seems like Carl was just there. With Mike I think they would work together to build something pretty great. I am still not completely sold on the fact that Stoops can coach an elite defense without having the absolute elite player talent that Oklahoma had. He certainly wasn't getting it done at Arizona. Should be interesting. If Carl has actually taken a job.

As they should. He only built that program from the ground up. Literally

That's interesting. I didn't know that. Good for him. That is quite an accomplishment. I agree-he should have his day :) (I only knew this coach as the one that we lost to in Miami in '83 so this is good info!)

I'm surprised to hear that Mike Stoops would actually step back into a DC position. I am not sure how much Nebraska would consider it. Though I think it would be good for Bo to give the DC job to someone else. I think he should always have an input though. He just seems like the type of guy who doesn't really listen to other people's input. I think he would actually benefit from someone else in his ear. I don't know that he had that with Carl or not. Seems like Carl was just there. With Mike I think they would work together to build something pretty great. I am still not completely sold on the fact that Stoops can coach an elite defense without having the absolute elite player talent that Oklahoma had. He certainly wasn't getting it done at Arizona. Should be interesting. If Carl has actually taken a job.

Yea, I'm a little suprised too about Stoops going back to a DC job. But, hey, he said he would listen so what do I know? I would question his motives though.

Yea, I'm a little suprised too about Stoops going back to a DC job. But, hey, he said he would listen so what do I know? I would question his motives though.

I guess he just wants to join the Youngstown Ohio reunion Bo has going down here in Lincoln.

You shouldnt be. I dont think any school is gonna hire him as a head coach this soon. Going back to a DC and being successful will put his name back on the tongues of ADs wanting to replace there coach within a few years.