DC Candidates?

You know a lot of people laud Hayden Fry's coaching tree, but in a way it's good and bad. Fry & his coaches had good success at Iowa but not great success. I think that's in part because he kept having to replace coaches. Not saying that's the case here but just saying that finding some guys that view Nebraska as a destination job has a lot of merit with me. Hope whoever backfills views Nebraska as a destination job. Maybe I'm just old and out of touch.

You know a lot of people laud Hayden Fry's coaching tree, but in a way it's good and bad. Fry & his coaches had good success at Iowa but not great success. I think that's in part because he kept having to replace coaches. Not saying that's the case here but just saying that finding some guys that view Nebraska as a destination job has a lot of merit with me. Hope whoever backfills views Nebraska as a destination job. Maybe I'm just old and out of touch.

I don't think that's a viable view anymore. Assistants generally want to move up, at least to the coordinator level, most want a shot at being the head man. And it usually speaks well of a head coach when his assistants are in high demand for OC, DC or Head jobs.

Stoops is the next DC at nebraska (this is what i know) and what i think is that he will prob be around for 3-4 years, but he will be announced after the bowl game, take it for what its worth, but you heard it here first folks

I sure hope you are right, though I was hoping we could get him hired before the bowl.

Any chance you could tell us how you know this?

Stoops is the next DC at nebraska (this is what i know) and what i think is that he will prob be around for 3-4 years, but he will be announced after the bowl game, take it for what its worth, but you heard it here first folks

because.....(source please)

it's all about who you know, there arnt sources for these kinds of things, especially when it wont even go public anytime soon, but a deal is being set in place

it's all about who you know, there arnt sources for these kinds of things, especially when it wont even go public anytime soon, but a deal is being set in place

But wouldn't the 'who you know' be the source? da skers said that Bo has talked to Mike Stoops but that he didn't think Mike would come here. I SO hope you are right, but (no offense) I'm afraid to get my hopes up. It would be such a great fit for us. Hope you're right and hope whoever your source is-is right too. We'll see!

He's right. We have a source.

If this is the case, then I would expect we hear it from recruits by the middle of next week. That was where we heard the first info on the changes Bo made last year.

But wouldn't the 'who you know' be the source? da skers said that Bo has talked to Mike Stoops but that he didn't think Mike would come here. I SO hope you are right, but (no offense) I'm afraid to get my hopes up. It would be such a great fit for us. Hope you're right and hope whoever your source is-is right too. We'll see!

Ok the "source" is my dad, and who he's friends with (ties with unl)....and also my good friends dad, who lets just say is a ways up the totem pole with unl athletics

Bo is risking his tenure here with rookie coaches, i hope he is prepared for the hell he is about to catch.

So you are saying he should hire a veteran DC with many years of experience like, say, Cosgrove?

Now I am going to Hell

Exactly.

There's zillions of "proven" & "experienced" coaches out there but zero proof any of them will excel. First and foremeost, they have to be good at what Bo wants them to excel at. Like "any" hire, you want the guy to do what you want him to do, not what he may or may not have done for someone else.

The longer it goes without Stoops going to tOSU or OU the more im liking our chances with him. I would be fine with JP and then getting a good reputable DL coach like Larry Johnson. I dont understand why people think JP would be running the defense, we already have one of the best DC in the country. Get rid of Cotton, hire Stai and let Beck worry about the offense, and BO worry about the defense. Stoops would be great and be a wow factor hire for recruits but i think JP would be just fine. (rumors were Florida and Texas both contacted him last year for position coaching/recruiting....he is making a name for himself out there)

I dont know how we keep winning 9 or 10 games a year with these "medicore" coaches we have. :sarcasm We are not Bama LSU Texas, no matter how much some of you want us to be. We are not a top job, were lucky to have Bo.

I think the character of Bo is what is keeping him from getting a big name DC

1. Bo IS a big name DC.

Big name coordinators don't take a job because the head coach is a big name coordinator. They take it because their boss is a big name head coach and they can get some head coaching mentoring from one of the best...of which, Bo is not.

I'm not saying that big-name DCs will want to come here because Bo is a big name DC. I'm saying that we don't need a big name DC because we've already got one.

Well then who do we get as head coach???