DC Candidates?

I'm getting tired of Nebraska being a grooming grounds for up and coming, prospect coaches (or washed up, never were's in Cotton's case). A little bit of that is fine...I'm all about the young, hungry entry level guys. But I don't think we need it at every freakin level o te staff. This program is starting to feel as if it's staffed like a Houston or a Ball State. Hiring guys out of high school programs, out of work, etc. From Bo all the way down, this is becoming "learn on the job U". We need to start pissing in the tall grass if we want to start walking with the big dogs again. We need better, more high-profile coaches...and players for that matter!!

We try to recruit 5* talent. Why go after 2* coaches? Not saying JP is a 2* guy, but how does a DC or brand new position coach develop talent when they are learning the job themselves.

Ever wonder how many schools need a DC for next year? Here are the vacancies:

>North Carolina

>Kansas

>Nebraska

>Massachusetts

>San Diego State

>Arkansas

>Auburn

>Arkansas State

>Hawaii

>New Mexico State

That doesn't even include all the schools that have changed head coaches, more movement with DCs there too

I'm getting tired of Nebraska being a grooming grounds for up and coming, prospect coaches (or washed up, never were's in Cotton's case). A little bit of that is fine...I'm all about the young, hungry entry level guys. But I don't think we need it at every freakin level o te staff. This program is starting to feel as if it's staffed like a Houston or a Ball State. Hiring guys out of high school programs, out of work, etc. From Bo all the way down, this is becoming "learn on the job U". We need to start pissing in the tall grass if we want to start walking with the big dogs again. We need better, more high-profile coaches...and players for that matter!!

We try to recruit 5* talent. Why go after 2* coaches? Not saying JP is a 2* guy, but how does a DC or brand new position coach develop talent when they are learning the job themselves.

5* kids won't play for 2* coaches, simple as that.

We don't need to promote JP. If we do, who does the DL, ST and recruiting. This would mean heading into year 2 with possibly all new D staff save Els and Raymond. Those guys are already losing Fonz and David. The thought of having to completely start from the ground up, is a scary proposition. Does JP know the system, sure. Proof he wil be a good DC, no. Let's go after a big name hire who can immediately come in and get things going. A big name would also help our final recruiting push.

Here is the real question IMHO. What coach can we afford to lose as a program? Can you name one, based on last seasons performance, or for those who have been on staff since 2008. I can think of one (Bo excluded). With this in mind, it is time to go after the big names. Same as recruiting. You can recruit all the one star guys you want, attract all the walk ons etc and you are not going to win the MNC and with the coaching staffs being put together in the B1G, possibly not that either.

We need to go after coaches like we need to go after recruits. Only the best. You want to win, you go for the same guys everyone else wants. We need to stop being a training ground for guys to get experience and move on. We can't develop coaches and expect to be able to develop players. It hasn't worked well so far and I do not expect it to work anytime soon.

So losing two out of four defensive coaches means we've got "to completely start from the ground up"? And we don't really have any coaches worth anything but we can't afford to start over? I guess I'm having trouble following your logic.

If the coaching staff can identify talent, should we hire a female DC? Example Natalie Randolph.

If you're looking for a serious answer, I'd say it's a bad idea. It would look like a gimmick at first and then if our defense struggled it'd get a media storm. And what if Bo started yelling at her on the sidelines like he does sometimes, domestic violence groups would be all over it for the message it was sending to young boys watching the game.

Your not seeing the forest for the trees.

He is overworking himself. Every head coach has these assitants for a reason. Smaller programs are for training DC' and OC's and let the bigger programs promote them.

He took on a OC this year, that is still not really a OC. He is being helped by Bo I am sure. Bo has had distractions from the defense due to this. WE were worse this year on defense than since he got here. With one of the two here he could concentrate on the offense and let Stoops or Zook run the defense, both are pretty good at it according to their pasts. Both are pretty good recruiters.

Bo needs to be the CEO of this program, not the DC and the OC, which currently he is. Some programs pay over a million dollars for that help, and the ones that do seem to be the ones winning, allowing Miles and Saben the time to do their jobs.

He has to grow, and he has not. It is not about wins or losses, it is about the future and where we are headed.

Being a head coach is making it all work, everything, wins losses, recruiting, overseeing the game plan, development of the players and the staff. he can not do it all by himself and he is painting himself into that corner, like a lot of first time coahes/managers do.

By promoting within he really brings no assistance to himself, and robsker has shown over and over the steps that need to be take in his development, but somehow falls on deaf ears around here.

He is a very good coach, trying to do to much. It very seldom works in business and I doubt it works here.

I really, really doubt Bo is the OC. Sure, no doubt he's gone over the major scheme/philosophy he wants with Beck but after that it's all on Beck. Or the vast majority of it like any OC has to implement.

As far as being the DC, TO was our OC for 25 years as HC and it didn't seem to hurt him. I have no problem with Bo being the DC at all.

Maybe you're right that he's trying to do too much but I honestly don't see him trying to be a functional OC at all. Just a typical HC who gives his major guidelines to the OC (Beck). No doubt they talk together all year long about a zillion issues regarding the offense and of course Bo as the HC has the final say but the majority of the day to day work offensively is on Beck I would think.

Heck, I don't know. I just don't see a lot of evidence that Bo's trying to do everything himself.

>North Carolina

>Kansas

>Nebraska

>Massachusetts

>San Diego State

>Arkansas

>Auburn

>Arkansas State

>Hawaii

>New Mexico State

That doesn't even include all the schools that have changed head coaches, more movement with DCs there too

I know. It was just the DC's so far. I'm sure there's more movement with the DC's too. It's all changing so quickly. What other DC openings have you heard about. Please share :)

>North Carolina

>Kansas

>Nebraska

>Massachusetts

>San Diego State

>Arkansas

>Auburn

>Arkansas State

>Hawaii

>New Mexico State

Here is a list of the head coaches so far (what's been filled and what's still open)-

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7019959/football-bowl-subdivision-head-coaching-changes

We don't need to promote JP. If we do, who does the DL, ST and recruiting. This would mean heading into year 2 with possibly all new D staff save Els and Raymond. Those guys are already losing Fonz and David. The thought of having to completely start from the ground up, is a scary proposition. Does JP know the system, sure. Proof he wil be a good DC, no. Let's go after a big name hire who can immediately come in and get things going. A big name would also help our final recruiting push.

Here is the real question IMHO. What coach can we afford to lose as a program? Can you name one, based on last seasons performance, or for those who have been on staff since 2008. I can think of one (Bo excluded). With this in mind, it is time to go after the big names. Same as recruiting. You can recruit all the one star guys you want, attract all the walk ons etc and you are not going to win the MNC and with the coaching staffs being put together in the B1G, possibly not that either.

We need to go after coaches like we need to go after recruits. Only the best. You want to win, you go for the same guys everyone else wants. We need to stop being a training ground for guys to get experience and move on. We can't develop coaches and expect to be able to develop players. It hasn't worked well so far and I do not expect it to work anytime soon.

So losing two out of four defensive coaches means we've got "to completely start from the ground up"? And we don't really have any coaches worth anything but we can't afford to start over? I guess I'm having trouble following your logic.

What coaches do we have that are being sought after by other major programs? We move JP, it means we probably bring in a new DLINE and ST coach or shift us around. A losing proposition as we then have no real experience. I really do OT think we have any coaches that are sought after by major programs. Just like guys knock some of our starters for not being 1 st team talent, same with the coaches.

I see what you are saying ref who can we lose and why OT just start over. That's just it. Start over with a Stoops or a Zook or Shannon, OT a JP with no experience to ver see guys with even less experience to try and develop kids who have even less.

I am just not a big fan of the hire a buddy that seems so evident. Like a poster above stated Kirby is getting paid a million. Guys complain aout the kids who know the system play over better athletes. How about using that same system for our coaching hires. Get the guy who knows D the best and offers them a job.

You can not micro manage a team. it doesn't work very well. This is what makes guy's like Urban Meyer, Les Miles, Saban, Spurier such good coaches.They let their staff or assistants run their Defense and Offense. Of course they have the final say so, but they trust these guys and their play calling.

If the coaching staff can identify talent, should we hire a female DC? Example Natalie Randolph.

If you're looking for a serious answer, I'd say it's a bad idea. It would look like a gimmick at first and then if our defense struggled it'd get a media storm. And what if Bo started yelling at her on the sidelines like he does sometimes, domestic violence groups would be all over it for the message it was sending to young boys watching the game.

What if she yells back at Bo as well? She would have to be qualified to be a DC and gender should not matter! Cultural America, it does not matter what you say or do, it will be criticized. When we do get a new DC, he has to prove himself, right? Why can a woman not be given the same chance? That is right, we are still stuck in the men and women thing.