KU to Introduce Charlie Weis as Football Coach Friday

Cactusboy

He's a great coach with the right talent. Can he bring in the right talent to KU?

That's been the question for the last 100 years of KU football. And so far the answer has been 'no'. Well, for about 95 of those 100 years anyway.

I can't figure out whether Weis is a great coach, or a bum. When he was at ND they were just so so--flashes of greatness followed by periods of incompetency. Then Weis goes to KC as OC, and the Chiefs catch fire on offense. Practically unstoppable. Then he hires on as Florida's OC, and the Gators pretty much suck on offense. What gives? Is Weis a great coach or a bum?

I vote bum. Abrasive personality, unfettered ego, and disingenuous to the nth degree.

Reports today indicate that he hated his time in KC. That he just bought a horse farm in Ocala, Florida (to be near his son). That he likely needs additional surgery so he won't be able to recruit much initially. That Muschamp heard it not from Charlie, but while on a recruiting visit.

If he couldn't win at Notre Dame with their publicity machine and fawning network(s)...............why doe an A.D. at Kansas believe he will produce at a basketball school? With his underwhelming personal grace??

Of course, when he fails (and I predict it will be one of the greatest coaching mis-hires of recent memory), he will fall back on the caveat that Turner left a bare cupboard. eh.........kind of like what TG inherited.

I can't figure out whether Weis is a great coach, or a bum. When he was at ND they were just so so--flashes of greatness followed by periods of incompetency. Then Weis goes to KC as OC, and the Chiefs catch fire on offense. Practically unstoppable. Then he hires on as Florida's OC, and the Gators pretty much suck on offense. What gives? Is Weis a great coach or a bum?

He's a great coach with the right talent. Can he bring in the right talent to KU?

I vote bum. Abrasive personality, unfettered ego, and disingenuous to the nth degree.

Ha ha! You guys aren't helping any...

Bill Snyder has made an art of recruiting JuCo studs. Can Weis duplicate? I've always wondered how KState could rise from the depths they did while KU couldn't. Is Weis too proud to go after all the JuCo's?

Junior Whoppers Combo?

He's great at scheming passes. When he has a Tom Brady to develop, an Oline that will give him time, a defense that someone else arranged for him, and no one notices that he won't run the ball on a critical down, then yes he's a genius.

That was all done by someone else in New England, KC, and ND 05-06.

Florida wasn't going to be good this year so that was that. It appears he isn't satisfied to be known as just an OC and wants to prove he can succeed as a HC.

I've only been through Lawrence once but I'm not entirely sure they have enough buffets to sustain Weiss...things could get ugly

How long ago was it that you visited Lawrence? I think they had to completely overhaul their buffet infrastructure during the Mangino years.