Is Mike'l Severe feeling ok? Burkhead vs. Ball

You've been really serious lately. What's up? Did they fix the backdoor link into the Mod forum?

I dunno, I do need to lighten up, I've taken stuff around here far to seriously recently. Apologies all around...

Ever since you pulled your c$%k out, you've been acting differently.

You've been really serious lately. What's up? Did they fix the backdoor link into the Mod forum?

I dunno, I do need to lighten up, I've taken stuff around here far to seriously recently. Apologies all around...

Yea I think it was about that time last week or so...It'll all be good after the bowl....

Yea I think it was about that time last week or so...It'll all be good after the bowl....

Yeah its ok. We've all had those moments.

You know Kenny Bell is better than Alshon Jeffrey right? I mean you know that, right?

You know Kenny Bell is better than Alshon Jeffrey right? I mean you know that, right?

:ahhhhhhhh

Just to recap; You guys say Rex is just as good as Ball or they are somehow comparable. I say they're not and ask you to prove why you think Rex is better..the only thing you can muster is that Ball plays behind a good O-Line.

That in no way proves anything about Rex, so I think I've won this pretty handily.

Teacher: Joe is much smarter than Tom. Joe has a 4.0 GPA and scored a 1600 on his SAT. Tom has a 3.3 and only got a 1250.

Tom's family: Haha that's silly, Tom is just as smart if not smarter!

Teacher: Why do you think that?

Tom's family: Because Joe's Dad is a college professor!

I'm not a scientist but I'm pretty sure that analogy doesn't make sense.

I'm simply trying to illustrate the sort of logic being used in the arugment. If you find it shaky then we agree on something.

I don't mind your argument on Ball, but that analogy doesn't equate....

It is a fairly accurate reflection of the argument Husker fans are making.

Joe = Ball

Tom = Burkhead

Grades = Stats

Teacher = me/media/outsiders

Tom's Family = Huskers

Joe's Professor Father = (a positive force affecting grades or stats) The Wisconsin O- Line

As far as Tom's family offering a non-sequitor as a response yes...its not made to make sense just as your argument doesn't make sense.

Why is X good? Why is X better than Y? Because Y is good for this reason! You see how that doesn't say anything about X? Just like you haven't provided any evidence about Burkhead, only stuff about Ball and the O-Line.

That's just it, all the evidence, records and statistics lean heavily on the side of Ball being the better RB.

I know what you're meaning with the reference now that you explain it that way...there's some pragmatics/semantics issue in it that is too tedious to get caught up in.

I said this and I'll say it again, I think Ball has benefited slightly from a better offensive line and better quarterback play but that doesn't discredit his great athleticism and his ability to make plays. I mean for crying out loud, he's scored 38...THIRTY EIGHT touchdowns. Rarely anyone does that, not even running backs with great offensive lines and quarterbacks. Did Mark Ingram do that? No. Did Ricky Williams do that? No. Did Mike Rozier do that? No.

Monte Ball is a great, great running back and is a step above most running backs who have played this game.

That doesn't mean that Rex Burkhead sucks, and I'm 99.7% positive that Badgerfan is not saying he sucks because Monte Ball is better.

Cripes, people here, Husker fan or not, need to realize when someone is a flat out better player than one of our own. Doesn't mean our own player is terrible.

I still don't think most people here really think Burkhead is a better player. I think there is something to the fact that Ball has a much better supporting cast, but I agree with Bye Bye in that you don't score 38 touchdowns because of your supporting cast. Barry Sanders didn't exactly play on a dominating OSU offense. Previous Heisman winners and even some of the greatest never did that in a single season.

I haven't watched enough of Ball to really critique his game, in all areas, but I do find it interesting that a guy who scored twice as many touchdowns and ran for 200 more yards than a previous Heisman winner only finished fourth in the balloting. Credit that to whatever reasoning you like, but I still think it's interesting nonetheless. Regardless, Ball is a very good player. One of the greatest? I don't know about that. He scored a monstrous amount of touchdowns but I still don't think he's in the same conversation as guys like Rozier, Sanders, and some of the greatest of all time backs. Then again, I don't know if anybody in here really is saying he's one of the greatest.

But, give Burkhead Ball's athleticism, and I'd take Burkhead every day of the week and twice on Sundays. His character and toughness is second to none.

Just to recap; You guys say Rex is just as good as Ball or they are somehow comparable. I say they're not and ask you to prove why you think Rex is better..the only thing you can muster is that Ball plays behind a good O-Line.

That in no way proves anything about Rex, so I think I've won this pretty handily.

Teacher: Joe is much smarter than Tom. Joe has a 4.0 GPA and scored a 1600 on his SAT. Tom has a 3.3 and only got a 1250.

Tom's family: Haha that's silly, Tom is just as smart if not smarter!

Teacher: Why do you think that?

Tom's family: Because Joe's Dad is a college professor!

I'm not a scientist but I'm pretty sure that analogy doesn't make sense.

I'm simply trying to illustrate the sort of logic being used in the arugment. If you find it shaky then we agree on something.

He was saying that your illustration didn't make sense.

Well I'm sorry but I think it does.

I've made everypoint I think I can make.

The evidence shows Ball is one of the best RB's to play CFB, Rex won't be remembered in a few years from now by anyone but Huskers...and thats the way it is. I'm done.

You are drinking the koolaid if you think Ball is one of the best backs to ever play.... Not even close, he would have to do a lot more....Rex won't be remembered in a few years?.... Outside of a few cheeseheads, neither will Ball....

That's not that guy's real name is it? Mike'l Severe? Sounds like he should be in the Insane Clown Posse or something.

You better watch out. The Omahites among us love him. You speak bad about him and you'll get bamboo under the fingernails.

Sir, I would never do anything to sully the good name of Mike'l Severe or his rap group; Insane Clown Posse.

That's not that guy's real name is it? Mike'l Severe? Sounds like he should be in the Insane Clown Posse or something.

You better watch out. The Omahites among us love him. You speak bad about him and you'll get bamboo under the fingernails.

Sir, I would never do anything to sully the good name of Mike'l Severe or his rap group; Insane Clown Posse.

So like Mike'l Severe doesn't believe in the science behind magnets?

Montee Ball is a stud. Rex Burkhead is a stud. I think neither of these 2 is the best running back in the nation. If LaMichael James was healthy all season, James would have gone to New York instead of Ball, even with all those TD's. It could also be argued that there are 4 or 5 better than each of them.

Just did a quick search on rushing stats and NU played 6 of the top 30 rushers this year. Wow.