Is Mike'l Severe feeling ok? Burkhead vs. Ball

I didn't know that badger fan was the messenger for the rest of the country.

It's an unpaid position.

But like someone said, Ball has more name recognition than Rex so almost by default he's recognized as the better RB...I mean I'm just saying..who was in NYC last night?

Not almost, I do think Ball is better but Rex's great too. It's like snocone, grape favorite but cherry also favorite.

I find it funny that a Wisconsin fan is trying to convince Nebraska fans that having an amazing O-line doesn't matter when judging a running backs stats. Like, we've never been good at running the ball before or something...

LOL.

I'm not trying to say that and I never did say that so check your sh#t.

I find it funny that a Wisconsin fan is trying to convince Nebraska fans that having an amazing O-line doesn't matter when judging a running backs stats. Like, we've never been good at running the ball before or something...

LOL.

I've read the whole thread. You're discounting the O-line factor. So, yeah, you are.

Ball is a good RB, so is Rex. Ball has 6 foot wide holes to run through, Rex has to make guys miss in the backfield. If Rex had UW's o-line, he'd have much better stats. Ball can put of gaudy stats by running through shopping aisles. Rex can make yards from absolutely nothing. It's really quite simple.

• Fire 1

LOL.

I've read the whole thread. You're discounting the O-line factor. So, yeah, you are.

Ball is a good RB, so is Rex. Ball has 6 foot wide holes to run through, Rex has to make guys miss in the backfield. If Rex had UW's o-line, he'd have much better stats. Ball can put of gaudy stats by running through shopping aisles. Rex can make yards from absolutely nothing. It's really quite simple.

I've seen Ball make guys miss in the backfield too.

Rex has put up great numbers given where he is. Ball has put up spectacular numbers given where he is. Is the difference between the talent level in the O-Lines going to make a difference? Yes. Is it going to make as much of a difference as some people think? Nope. If Ball had our O-Line, I'm betting he would at least get 23-26 TDs. He's a great running back.

And Rex is too. And we're glad to have him.

I haven't read the whole thread, but anybody who discounts an o-line is foolish, and that's being nice.

Ball is a great player and he'd still have good numbers without UW's offensive line. But if you gave him say...the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga's line, his numbers would not be what they are - the numbers would be worse. Same with Burkhead. A good running back needs a good line, and vice versa.

• Fire 1

LOL.

Since you're so sure I said it go ahead and quote me...I'll bet you $10,000 I never said the O-Line wasn't a factor. That said when a guy posts twice the numbers as your RB and you say "oh thats the O-Line for you, thats all the O-Line" you're just plain wrong...

LOL.

Since you're so sure I said it go ahead and quote me...I'll bet you $10,000 I never said the O-Line wasn't a factor. That said when a guy posts twice the numbers as your RB and you say "oh thats the O-Line for you, thats all the O-Line" you're just plain wrong...

I presume you'd be OK giving me $10,000 if I can't find the bolded quote in this thread? ;)

Just to recap; You guys say Rex is just as good as Ball or they are somehow comparable. I say they're not and ask you to prove why you think Rex is better..the only thing you can muster is that Ball plays behind a good O-Line.

That in no way proves anything about Rex, so I think I've won this pretty handily.

Teacher: Joe is much smarter than Tom. Joe has a 4.0 GPA and scored a 1600 on his SAT. Tom has a 3.3 and only got a 1250.

Tom's family: Haha that's silly, Tom is just as smart if not smarter!

Teacher: Why do you think that?

Tom's family: Because Joe's Dad is a college professor!

Just to recap; You guys say Rex is just as good as Ball or they are somehow comparable. I say they're not and ask you to prove why you think Rex is better..the only thing you can muster is that Ball plays behind a good O-Line.

I'll reiterate my thoughts on the subject. If I had to choose between the two right now, I'd take Ball. He's got better athleticism than Burkhead.

That said, from a character and toughness standpoint, Burkhead is awesome. I don't know enough about Ball to accurately compare the two players from a character perspective, but Burkhead is definitely that type of guy you'd be more than proud having your daughter marry. He's humble, has a ton of heart, passion and does everything on the field and off the field you'd want a football player to do. If he had Ball's athleticism, he'd be a fantastic college football player. And if he had Ball's athleticism, I'd take Burkhead in a heartbeat over Ball. But given that he doesn't, I'd still want Ball I think. Furthermore, you don't compete with Barry Sander's record just because of the guys around you - you have to be a good player in and of yourself.

That said, I do think Ball got a lot more help from those around him than Burkhead did. Whether you look at quarterback play, the passing game or his offensive line, Ball has more around him to succeed. Does that mean everything though? Absolutely not. Iowa State's 1995 running back Troy Davis was an absolutely superb running back, and had he been on just about any other team might have been a Heisman winner. His offensive line wasn't great and his supporting cast wasn't either, but his athleticism and skill at the position made him a fantastic running back.

• Fire 1

I haven't read the whole thread, but anybody who discounts an o-line is foolish, and that's being nice.

Ball is a great player and he'd still have good numbers without UW's offensive line. But if you gave him say...the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga's line, his numbers would not be what they are - the numbers would be worse. Same with Burkhead. A good running back needs a good line, and vice versa.

Good running backs do, but great ones do not. Take Barry Sanders for example. He wasn't good. He was great. I don't remember much about the OL he got to run behind at Okie State, but his OL at Detroit wasn't good. The same can be said about Walter Payton most of his career at the da Bears.

I'll reiterate my thoughts on the subject. If I had to choose between the two right now, I'd take Ball. He's got better athleticism than Burkhead.

That said, from a character and toughness standpoint, Burkhead is awesome. I don't know enough about Ball to accurately compare the two players from a character perspective, but Burkhead is definitely that type of guy you'd be more than proud having your daughter marry. He's humble, has a ton of heart, passion and does everything on the field and off the field you'd want a football player to do. If he had Ball's athleticism, he'd be a fantastic college football player. And if he had Ball's athleticism, I'd take Burkhead in a heartbeat over Ball. But given that he doesn't, I'd still want Ball I think. Furthermore, you don't compete with Barry Sander's record just because of the guys around you - you have to be a good player in and of yourself.

That said, I do think Ball got a lot more help from those around him than Burkhead did. Whether you look at quarterback play, the passing game or his offensive line, Ball has more around him to succeed. Does that mean everything though? Absolutely not. Iowa State's 1995 running back Troy Smith was an absolutely superb running back, and had he been on just about any other team might have been a Heisman winner. His offensive line wasn't great and his supporting cast wasn't either, but his athleticism and skill at the position made him a fantastic running back.

Troy Davis?