Caputo - playing in the Cap-One Bowl?

knapplc

Say it ain't so, Mike....

Husker Mike Caputo Among 17 Arrested for DUI Saturday/Sunday

Under a special enforcement effort, Lincoln police arrested 17 suspected drunken drivers in four hours. One of those arrests included Mike Caputo, a Nebraska offensive lineman.

Capt. Jim Davidsaver said that the arrests were made between 11 p.m. Saturday and 3 a.m. Sunday. Davidsaver says that's around twice the number usually arrested on a weekend night.

Caputo was arrested for DUI Sunday at 1:09 a.m. in the area of 111 West O Street. Captain David Beggs said Caputo's BAC was .103.

Davidsaver said the extra enforcement effort was paid for by a grant. It covered the costs of three additional officers to patrol for drunken drivers. Officer Katie Flood said Lincoln Police have issued 72 DUI citations so far this month, under the special enforcement.

EDIT: Updated info in the below story. Click link for full story.

Nebraska lineman Caputo cited for DUI

According to Lincoln Police Capt. David Beggs, police were called to the U-Stop at 110 West O St. on a report of a man slumped over the wheel of a vehicle at about 1:10 a.m. Sunday.

Beggs said an officer found Caputo sleeping in the driver's seat of a running vehicle. He was taken to Cornhusker Place, released to the detox center and cited on suspicion of driving under the influence. Beggs said a preliminary test indicated Caputo had a .103 blood-alcohol content. The legal limit to drive in Nebraska is .08.

"I am aware of the situation involving Mike Caputo, and am awaiting more information before making any further comment," Nebraska football coach Bo Pelini said in a statement.

I don't know or recall details from the off-the-field issues we've had here the last few years, but we've thankfully (knock on wood) been a relatively clean group of guys. What has our standard been for these situations in the past? Is a suspension imminent? I know it's Caputo's last game as a Husker, so does that change anything, or is a suspension inevitable?

I think I'd suspend him. He's a senior, yes, but this isn't the kind of thing coaches should be lax about. Punishment depends on the severity of the issue, and DUI's are severe imho.

Wow, it's a little early in the month for the police to be mad-dashing to meet their quota. There must be some sort of Christmas bonus in play.

It's not about that. The LPD and Nebraska Office of Highway Safety have been doing a lot of grant funded underage drinking and drinking & driving projects over the last several months. They always have a lot of them going in the fall months and early winter months, especially, because of football season.