Apparently Penn State talked to Bo about HC gig

Nexus

I get this whole "throw a handful of crap against the wall and see what sticks" schtick you've got going, but having some kind of substance to your posts - like, every half-dozen or so - would be helpful. "The boosters" aren't starting to wane. Some boosters love Bo and want to keep him around. Some think he's OK. Some never liked him and never will. Not much has changed since he got here, and no gauntlets have been thrown down by any boosters.

We're not expanding East Stadium, building a basketball arena, upgrading the Hawks center, building the Hendricks center, building a baseball/softball training complex, completely remodeling The Bob and making sundry other improvements to the back offices, training table, weight facilities, etc because "the boosters" are fed up with Bo.

And also I came into this thread upon someone mentioning Boosters are starting to Wane, you see some of us are boosters and are related to or personal friends with boosters of substance. When you're paying Ferrari prices for a 70's station wagon, your going to grumble
  • Fire 1

I get this whole "throw a handful of crap against the wall and see what sticks" schtick you've got going, but having some kind of substance to your posts - like, every half-dozen or so - would be helpful. "The boosters" aren't starting to wane. Some boosters love Bo and want to keep him around. Some think he's OK. Some never liked him and never will. Not much has changed since he got here, and no gauntlets have been thrown down by any boosters.

We're not expanding East Stadium, building a basketball arena, upgrading the Hawks center, building the Hendricks center, building a baseball/softball training complex, completely remodeling The Bob and making sundry other improvements to the back offices, training table, weight facilities, etc because "the boosters" are fed up with Bo.

Or at least the taxpayers, I mean smokers built the Bob and many other things and we shall see what the boosters say after the bowl game and next season. Hopefully after 5 years of being young and inexperienced Boosters will have the same power they had in the Solich firing. If you think Boosters are happy with this experiment you may want to talk to a couple of them

What is your solution? I'm curious here. Let's go ahead and put your hypothesis to work for a second. Let's say we let Bo go after the bowl game this year. Furthermore, we lose to South Carolina, so we ended the 2011 campaign at 9-4. Keep in mind we currently have 9 commits at this point and we're in on 4 highly ranked recruits at the moment. It's Jan. 3rd, 2012, Bo is gone now and we're a month away from signing day. What is your next move?

It doesn't matter as long as Osborne is still here frankly. Are you wanting me to play AD here?
  • Fire 1

Or at least the taxpayers, I mean smokers built the Bob and many other things and we shall see what the boosters say after the bowl game and next season. Hopefully after 5 years of being young and inexperienced Boosters will have the same power they had in the Solich firing. If you think Boosters are happy with this experiment you may want to talk to a couple of them

What is your solution? I'm curious here. Let's go ahead and put your hypothesis to work for a second. Let's say we let Bo go after the bowl game this year. Furthermore, we lose to South Carolina, so we ended the 2011 campaign at 9-4. Keep in mind we currently have 9 commits at this point and we're in on 4 highly ranked recruits at the moment. It's Jan. 3rd, 2012, Bo is gone now and we're a month away from signing day. What is your next move?

It doesn't matter as long as Osborne is still here frankly. Are you wanting me to play AD here?

Hell with it, let's fire Osborne too. The floor is yours. Where would you go from there?

Why should Bo proclaim 100% commitment when our fan base does not do the same. After ever loss or bad game there is talk about him being overrated, not being the guy, or my favorite Bo must Go. So its okay for fans and media to waver on their commitment to Bo and his coaching staff, but Bo should be solid an unwavering? Not sure if this is fair.

Osborne, Devaney went through the same thing, its part of coaching and you know this when accepting the millions you get paid to answer the hard questions like loyalty to your program

The type of media that coaches deal with now is not the same as when Osborne and Devaney coached. I work with someone that played for Osborne and he often talks about how things were different when he was there. If a reporter went after the coaching staff they way they do now they would not be back the next day. PERIOD. I understand the "they make millions excuse", but I hate it. These coaches do the job that they are asked. Like an professional position your job brings you perks. As a head football coach your going to get rewarded based on performance for the position you have. You do your job to the best of your ability until you either get fired, find something you like more, or retire.

Look at it from Bo's perspective. We had a NU guy handpicked by DR Tom and we as fans and media wanted him gone. Even if Bo proclaims undying love the school and his position. There is no way he love NU more than Frank did and how did that work out.

Bo probably sees it as a slap in the face that the question needs to be answered. He probably is like do you really think I would be here putting up with you people if I didn't want to be here......cuz I don't have to be.

What's your problem 97? Anyone who knows jacks**t about college football knows that Bo is one of the best defensive mind in the game. Last I checked defense was pretty important (see BCS title game). Do you remember 2007?? Have a little patience.

If you're so embarrassed and unhappy with Bo and Nebraska please become a Hawkeye, it is very unlikely you will be missed.

And also I came into this thread upon someone mentioning Boosters are starting to Wane, you see some of us are boosters and are related to or personal friends with boosters of substance. When you're paying Ferrari prices for a 70's station wagon, your going to grumble

You think you've got some monopoly on knowing boosters?

When you're asking Bo to reconfirm his commitment to Nebraska, note the name on the shirt he's wearing. Yeah, I'd think it's great if he's going to be all rah-rah, Nebraska forever, I'm your guy. That would be nice. But we also have to realize this is a business and he's a businessman, not just a coach. This isn't the 70s anymore, and salaries aren't modest. We're paying him three million bucks to coach here, and he's got to consider seriously if someone offers him 3.5 million, or four. He'd be dumb not to.

Near as I can remember, Bo only had one game with a timeclock blunder this year. May have had something to do with a first-year OC, but who knows. If we're claiming that no coaches beyond their third year have time management blunders, that's bogus.

You're welcome to continue pointing out every single mistake Bo makes. He makes a lot of them. He points them out as much as you do, actually. But if that's all you're going to talk about, don't expect to be taken seriously.

Husker fans haven't taken each other seriously since the Solich firing, actually it started before that as we had slid fairly far toward Shreveport losses. I understand the Rah, Rah, Rah, Osborne hired Pelini so lets all sit around and hold hands and sing folk songs and be happy beating terrible teams and losing to some not so great ones. I don't really expect to be taken seriously with the rah rah crowd but theres many of us out there tired of all these failed experiments. As booster start to wane, we will move on to the next, hopefully we grab someone like tOSU did

That is exactly what Pedey so ignorantly thought. He was certain he could get Urban to come here. He was wrong and he set us back another 4 years. Pedey shouldve known better but he didn't. Face it man, Nebraska isn't a destination job for guys like Urban Meyer. Maybe for Turner or a Scott Frost, but not for any of the top 5/10 coaches in America.

Why should Bo proclaim 100% commitment when our fan base does not do the same. After ever loss or bad game there is talk about him being overrated, not being the guy, or my favorite Bo must Go. So its okay for fans and media to waver on their commitment to Bo and his coaching staff, but Bo should be solid an unwavering? Not sure if this is fair.

Osborne, Devaney went through the same thing, its part of coaching and you know this when accepting the millions you get paid to answer the hard questions like loyalty to your program

The type of media that coaches deal with now is not the same as when Osborne and Devaney coached. I work with someone that played for Osborne and he often talks about how things were different when he was there. If a reporter went after the coaching staff they way they do now they would not be back the next day. PERIOD. I understand the "they make millions excuse", but I hate it. These coaches do the job that they are asked. Like an professional position your job brings you perks. As a head football coach your going to get rewarded based on performance for the position you have. You do your job to the best of your ability until you either get fired, find something you like more, or retire.

Look at it from Bo's perspective. We had a NU guy handpicked by DR Tom and we as fans and media wanted him gone. Even if Bo proclaims undying love the school and his position. There is no way he love NU more than Frank did and how did that work out.

Bo probably sees it as a slap in the face that the question needs to be answered. He probably is like do you really think I would be here putting up with you people if I didn't want to be here......cuz I don't have to be.

Actually there was no internet/smartphones to instantly expose everyone to the media the way it is now. Are you saying the Media didn't rip Osborne and Devaney? I remember some pretty good rips on Tom for sure after a certain loss to Missou after he had finally got past the Sooner hump and soon to fall flat on his face again in the Orange Bowl. The media wasn't kind and Osborne became standoffish with the media from then on and even flirted with CU because of the grumbling
  • Fire 1

Not really seeing where you're coming from here...maybe I'm missing something? What I was referring to is that the extremest "Bo's the greatest coach ever" fans, once pushed to back up their stance on that, can really only come up with one thing to point toward...4 years of 9 win seasons. Conversely, when equally as extreme "Bo sucks" fans have to back their stance, they point toward a long list of things which tends to give their position some validity...inexperienced staff/hiring buddies, losses to teams we shouldn't be losing to every year, mismanagement of scholarships/redshirts, recruiting struggles, lack of identity/direction, young/inexperienced team excuses every year, Barney Cotton, regression in certain aspects of the game, no real quality wins, sideline antics, overly stubborn attitude toward media/fans, no conference championships, no BCS Bowls and on and on and on.

Again, I'm more down the middle than either of those, but I think it's easier to see why some fans can be soooo overly negative than why other fans can be soooo overly positive in their views.

That's a straw man. Nobody thinks Bo Pelini is the greatest coach ever, or even the best coach in football today. You denounce extremist views with extremist views that don't represent what people are saying. The nine win thing is only part of what he's done. He's gotten our academics up to the highest team GPA since 1987. He has brought in a lot of great talent like Burkhead, Martinez, Kenny Bell, Kyler Reed, a bunch of offensive line guys, Dejon Gomes, Lavonte David, Ameer, Enunwa.... all kinds of guys. We have good players at a lot of positions because of Pelini. We've gone to a bowl in every year, we've won four of five bowls under Pelini, we've played in conference championship games two of the last three years.... the list goes on.

There is this thing out there where people are crying that "Bo is only hiring his buddies." But that's BS. The coaching fraternity is pretty small, and when you've been in it as long as Bo has, you're going to get to know a LOT of these guys. Who cares if they're buddies? Most coaches hire coaches they've worked with in the past, or know. It's the most common way of getting a coaching job. But because people want to bitch, they throw this out there like it's some huge problem. Les Miles didn't stock his coaching ranks with strangers, and neither did Nick Saban. Seems to be working out for them.

Bo sucks fans have no more validity than Bo is good fans. They just have a half empty glass. And you're not down the middle from the posts I've read. You praised that 97 guy who does nothing but bitch about Pelini in every single post. What a joke! There are so many positive things going on with the program right now. You've listed zero. That's not down the middle. That's negativity at its finest.

If you're so down the middle then spend a day posting nothing but positives about Nebraska. I'll bet you can't do it, or you slide backhanded digs in, or you just don't post.

Fair enough that I've never technically seen anyone say "Bo's the greatest coach ever" on here. But I have seen several people say "Bo is a great coach" and I guess we all just have different views on the definition of "great".

With regard to your other points...

Academics - We've always been fine in academics from what I remember. The "highest GPA since '87 stat" isn't winning any football games.

Great Talent - There's that term again. I'll give you Rex and David...maybe one or 2 more guys. You're really ready to call all of these guys "great"? Based on what? "A bunch of offensive line guys"??? You serious???

Bowls - Going to bowls every year is an extremely low bar. Considering like 70 teams go to bowls every year.

Conf Championship Games - Playing in the Big 12 North - again, just not that big of an accomplishment in my book.

I am all about hiring your buddies and think Bo's staff should be almost entirely made up of people he is very close with. I totally agree with everything you're saying here. The problem I have is when his pool of those buddies are unemployed golf coaches, high school coaches, etc and the whole staff is just a list of prospects. It might work, but it has to result in a much bigger learning curve than having some proven talent on the staff. I don't have a problem that Bo wants his buddies in there, I have a problem with which buddies he has in there.

I'm not calling for Bo to be fired. I think he should have 2 more years. I think he has a lot of potential. But I'm also not ready to say he's there yet because he still has a lot to prove. To me, that puts me down the middle but if you want to view that as being negative then more power to ya'.

So you're basically saying that academics isn't important to you at all? You would much rather see us be like the SEC, where academics don't matter and where players get arrested for selling drugs or what have you?

The idea of great talent is subjective. I think there's more than just Rex and David as "great talents" that Bo has brought in. Kenny Bell, Quincy Enunwa, Ameer Abdullah, Aaron Green, Andrew Green, they are all still so young. And here's something that you're missing or you're just choosing to be ignorant towards: Bo has developed players really well. He took those same Callahan recruits and produced a defense that was #1 [or #2, I can't remember] in the country. But I guess that's just blind optimism.

So it's Bo's fault for the conference we played in? We were in the Big XII North, we still had to go out and win football games to reach conference championship games. We've been in the B1G for 1 year, we weren't going to exactly set the world ablaze in our first year anyways. But that's Bo's fault, and he's a terrible coach because of it. Had the :01 ran off, we would've had a CC. Had we not given up that big 2nd quarter to Oklahoma, we'd have 2 CCs. But that's Bo's fault.

I think I'll heed the advice from your sig and not argue with you...but it's too tempting not to.

• Fire 1

What's your problem 97? Anyone who knows jacks**t about college football knows that Bo is one of the best defensive mind in the game. Last I checked defense was pretty important (see BCS title game). Do you remember 2007?? Have a little patience.

If you're so embarrassed and unhappy with Bo and Nebraska please become a Hawkeye, it is very unlikely you will be missed.

Best defensive minds in the game eh? Which top 10 running game has he stopped? He has had the leisure of using other coaches recruited talent in his schemes here and there no doubt and to stumble upon some of the greatest football talent at 3 different schools made it appear as though his a great defensive mind, mostly against the spread. Its like when mature senior Suh made Carl look like a genius and since Suh, well...................I saw zero best defensive minds anywhere in our games this season. We will soon find out when he goes up against Spurrier won't we
  • Fire 1

Hell with it, let's fire Osborne too. The floor is yours. Where would you go from there?

If the floor was mine, and I had a 6 million dollar pool of money to dole out (which I think is around what they will be spending next year on staff?)...

a) a director of football operations (CEO) would be named, with a salary of around 750,000. someone supremely loyal to the program. (Trev Alberts?)

b) turner gill, OC at 1 million per year.

c) a Stoops type hire, DC at 1 million per year.

d) 400k to a special teams coordinator/recruiting coordinator. 75% of this persons position is recruiting.

e) 1.425 million to each Coordinator to hire a staff of all-star assistants of their choosing.

Each coordinator is responsible for his side of the ball, and working w/ the RC/STC. the director is responsible for coordination of the team, marketing, media, etc. they are the face of the program but individual football related duties are delegated to each coordinator. the didicated recruiter would be responsible for talent in coordination with the OC/DC. i get that extra position due to the fact that the director would not actively recruit (think of the role Tom plays now).

...this is seriously outside the box. but college football is evolving, and traditional team management doesn't seem to be effective any longer. this scenario forms more a "team" where there is no HC - and no single head for the fans to cut off. staff turnover is a problem in college football today. Nebraska would have the highest paid assistants and coordinators in the game. Because of the semi-autonomy around the offense/defense...an OC could leave, and his staff could be replaced without a drastic team makeover. The salary for coordinators would guarentee the highest quality coordinator available could be recruited to fill the vacancy. no longer would we have an issue where an HC leaves and we are left rebuilding for 3 years. any one of the top 3 executives could be replaced individually without impacting the team.

You think you've got some monopoly on knowing boosters?

Obviously the unhappy ones according to you. You said the Boosters are pleased with the results of the Pelini experiment and are emptying their pockets. I say thats going to change quickly starting in just over a week unless we miraculously become a legitimate offense and defense for the first time in 2 years. We will call it the after Suh scenario
  • Fire 1

Best defensive minds in the game eh? Which top 10 running game has he stopped? He has had the leisure of using other coaches recruited talent in his schemes here and there no doubt and to stumble upon some of the greatest football talent at 3 different schools made it appear as though his a great defensive mind, mostly against the spread. Its like when mature senior Suh made Carl look like a genius and since Suh, well...................I saw zero best defensive minds anywhere in our games this season. We will soon find out when he goes up against Spurrier won't we

they are top ten because no one can stop them, your goal is to mitigate their damage. also, how many did we play? we don't just stack top 10 offenses on our schedule so BO can prove his defensive acumen. our defense should have played better this year, but the offenses we lost to were potent. no shame in our loses (other than how we lost).

also, who +1's every one of your posts?