Apparently Penn State talked to Bo about HC gig

Nexus

I get this whole "throw a handful of crap against the wall and see what sticks" schtick you've got going, but having some kind of substance to your posts - like, every half-dozen or so - would be helpful. "The boosters" aren't starting to wane. Some boosters love Bo and want to keep him around. Some think he's OK. Some never liked him and never will. Not much has changed since he got here, and no gauntlets have been thrown down by any boosters.

We're not expanding East Stadium, building a basketball arena, upgrading the Hawks center, building the Hendricks center, building a baseball/softball training complex, completely remodeling The Bob and making sundry other improvements to the back offices, training table, weight facilities, etc because "the boosters" are fed up with Bo.

And also I came into this thread upon someone mentioning Boosters are starting to Wane, you see some of us are boosters and are related to or personal friends with boosters of substance. When you're paying Ferrari prices for a 70's station wagon, your going to grumble

You think you've got some monopoly on knowing boosters?

Obviously the unhappy ones according to you. You said the Boosters are pleased with the results of the Pelini experiment and are emptying their pockets. I say thats going to change quickly starting in just over a week unless we miraculously become a legitimate offense and defense for the first time in 2 years. We will call it the after Suh scenario

I think you need to re-read what I said. I most certainly didn't paint the picture you're claiming.

How many boosters live out in Oregon? How often do you communicate with them?

I don't get this argument at all. TO made a career or winning 9-10 games per year. He had a stretch where he lost like 7-8 bowls in a row. You do not fire 9 win coaches. Personally, I believe in kharma. We got Clownahan because we deserved him. In four years, we've played for a conference title twice. We were right there to the end in both games. The Big 12 title games were the most competitive in years because of how bad the North sucked. Had we have won just one of them, would people still be jumping on Bo's cubes? If we'd have won last year against OU, we'd also have won the BCS bowl against Connetticut.

For all this hype of TO being the AD and everything will be just fine, do you really think he can lure a big fish if Bo is fired? Let's look at TO's track record with regards to finding a head coach. TO handed the keys to Solich when $ Byrne wanted to hire Bob Stoops. Solich was fired. TO handed the keys to Bo. Now, some of you guys want him fired. Do you really have the faith that three times the charm? If we fire Bo Pelini, then we deserve the kharma that goes along with it which more than likely will mirror Notre Dame's coaching carousel.

Hell with it, let's fire Osborne too. The floor is yours. Where would you go from there?

If the floor was mine, and I had a 6 million dollar pool of money to dole out (which I think is around what they will be spending next year on staff?)...

a) a director of football operations (CEO) would be named, with a salary of around 750,000. someone supremely loyal to the program. (Trev Alberts?)

b) turner gill, OC at 1 million per year.

c) a Stoops type hire, DC at 1 million per year.

d) 400k to a special teams coordinator/recruiting coordinator. 75% of this persons position is recruiting.

e) 1.425 million to each Coordinator to hire a staff of all-star assistants of their choosing.

Each coordinator is responsible for his side of the ball, and working w/ the RC/STC. the director is responsible for coordination of the team, marketing, media, etc. they are the face of the program but individual football related duties are delegated to each coordinator. the didicated recruiter would be responsible for talent in coordination with the OC/DC. i get that extra position due to the fact that the director would not actively recruit (think of the role Tom plays now).

...this is seriously outside the box. but college football is evolving, and traditional team management doesn't seem to be effective any longer. this scenario forms more a "team" where there is no HC - and no single head for the fans to cut off. staff turnover is a problem in college football today. Nebraska would have the highest paid assistants and coordinators in the game. Because of the semi-autonomy around the offense/defense...an OC could leave, and his staff could be replaced without a drastic team makeover. The salary for coordinators would guarentee the highest quality coordinator available could be recruited to fill the vacancy. no longer would we have an issue where an HC leaves and we are left rebuilding for 3 years. any one of the top 3 executives could be replaced individually without impacting the team.

I applaud you for this. Not sure how realistic it is to go that far "outside the box" as you say, but kudos for your creativity on the matter.

I really want to hear 97's solutions on the scenario. It's easy to grind your axe but it's quite another to present applicable solutions to the problems that are causing you to grind your axe. So feel free to put forth your own plan of action as you see fit.

Why should Bo proclaim 100% commitment when our fan base does not do the same. After ever loss or bad game there is talk about him being overrated, not being the guy, or my favorite Bo must Go. So its okay for fans and media to waver on their commitment to Bo and his coaching staff, but Bo should be solid an unwavering? Not sure if this is fair.

Why should he?

So his perceived dishonest nature doesn't hurt recruiting.

Do you thing any coach is going to get all gazillion fans of any program to agree on what kind of job he's doing?

The true measure of a coach in this situation should be how he deals with this sort of adversity.

What's your problem 97? Anyone who knows jacks**t about college football knows that Bo is one of the best defensive mind in the game. Last I checked defense was pretty important (see BCS title game). Do you remember 2007?? Have a little patience.

If you're so embarrassed and unhappy with Bo and Nebraska please become a Hawkeye, it is very unlikely you will be missed.

Best defensive minds in the game eh? Which top 10 running game has he stopped? He has had the leisure of using other coaches recruited talent in his schemes here and there no doubt and to stumble upon some of the greatest football talent at 3 different schools made it appear as though his a great defensive mind, mostly against the spread. Its like when mature senior Suh made Carl look like a genius and since Suh, well...................I saw zero best defensive minds anywhere in our games this season. We will soon find out when he goes up against Spurrier won't we

they are top ten because no one can stop them, your goal is to mitigate their damage. also, how many did we play? we don't just stack top 10 offenses on our schedule so BO can prove his defensive acumen. our defense should have played better this year, but the offenses we lost to were potent. no shame in our loses (other than how we lost).

also, who +1's every one of your posts?

A little guy named Shawn Watson, ever heard of him? Apparently he is some sort of offensive guru.

• Fire 1

If you look through the thread you'll find out who's doing that. He admitted to it already. He's another in the "all problems, no solutions" crowd. ;)

being a +1 whore myself, i was just a little jealous. i don't get much validation in this life, huskerboard is one of my few refuges.

• Fire 2

What's your problem 97? Anyone who knows jacks**t about college football knows that Bo is one of the best defensive mind in the game.

:lol: , lol. Bo knows one type of defense extremely well, but can't adjust it to defend different kinds of offenses. In addition, Bo is on of the best defensive minds in the game only when he has All Americans like Glenn Dorsey, Patrick Peterson, Suh, and Amukamara- none of whom he recruited. I will give him credit for Lavonte, but he really had nowhere else to go.

I bet at least 10 times a day I type out a entire response counterpointing someone's argument and then decide its not worth the effort and delete the response.

I do that a lot too. Usually I'll see a post early and think something needs replying too, then I'll read down more and either someone covered it better then I could or (and this happens more) the poster I was going to reply to basically keeps repeating the same things over and over and I realize no matter what I reply with they don't actually want a discussion they just want to spout the same thing repeatedly no matter what argument they are presented with. At that point I realize I wasted time with what would have been a reply, but net I'll save time not replying to the same person rewriting the same post multiple times.

When you're asking Bo to reconfirm his commitment to Nebraska, note the name on the shirt he's wearing. Yeah, I'd think it's great if he's going to be all rah-rah, Nebraska forever, I'm your guy. That would be nice. But we also have to realize this is a business and he's a businessman, not just a coach. This isn't the 70s anymore, and salaries aren't modest. We're paying him three million bucks to coach here, and he's got to consider seriously if someone offers him 3.5 million, or four. He'd be dumb not to.

Near as I can remember, Bo only had one game with a timeclock blunder this year. May have had something to do with a first-year OC, but who knows. If we're claiming that no coaches beyond their third year have time management blunders, that's bogus.

You're welcome to continue pointing out every single mistake Bo makes. He makes a lot of them. He points them out as much as you do, actually. But if that's all you're going to talk about, don't expect to be taken seriously.

Husker fans haven't taken each other seriously since the Solich firing, actually it started before that as we had slid fairly far toward Shreveport losses. I understand the Rah, Rah, Rah, Osborne hired Pelini so lets all sit around and hold hands and sing folk songs and be happy beating terrible teams and losing to some not so great ones. I don't really expect to be taken seriously with the rah rah crowd but theres many of us out there tired of all these failed experiments. As booster start to wane, we will move on to the next, hopefully we grab someone like tOSU did

Ok, at the risk of feeding the troll, I'll play along.

If you're going to take the stance that Pelini is a failed experiment and we need to be looking for other answers, you need to at least consider the result of that stance. The biggest thing Pelini has brought to this program is stability. He's brought stability to an unstable program, and that's a great thing whether you choose to recognize it or not. If we toss him aside, that stability goes with him. It's easy to say "welp, hopefully we grab someone like tOSU did." But that's not an answer, it's a lot easier said than done. Doesn't the chances of grabbing someone like Urban Meyer dwindle to nonexistance if we fire someone for winning 9-10 games every year as a first time head coach? Nobody worth a damn is going to even consider that job. Isn't it much more likely we'll be right back to where we were when we hired Bo?

Also, nobody is saying they're satisfied with 9-10 wins every year. We all know what the end goal is. So stop arguing against that non-point, strawman.

If you look through the thread you'll find out who's doing that. He admitted to it already. He's another in the "all problems, no solutions" crowd. ;)

being a +1 whore myself, i was just a little jealous. i don't get much validation in this life, huskerboard is one of my few refuges.

OK. I'll admit I plused one on 10% of his positive posts (1 out of 10 plus counts of his/her total 64? 38 posts)

• Fire 1

I get this whole "throw a handful of crap against the wall and see what sticks" schtick you've got going, but having some kind of substance to your posts - like, every half-dozen or so - would be helpful. "The boosters" aren't starting to wane. Some boosters love Bo and want to keep him around. Some think he's OK. Some never liked him and never will. Not much has changed since he got here, and no gauntlets have been thrown down by any boosters.

We're not expanding East Stadium, building a basketball arena, upgrading the Hawks center, building the Hendricks center, building a baseball/softball training complex, completely remodeling The Bob and making sundry other improvements to the back offices, training table, weight facilities, etc because "the boosters" are fed up with Bo.

Or at least the taxpayers, I mean smokers built the Bob and many other things and we shall see what the boosters say after the bowl game and next season. Hopefully after 5 years of being young and inexperienced Boosters will have the same power they had in the Solich firing. If you think Boosters are happy with this experiment you may want to talk to a couple of them

What is your solution? I'm curious here. Let's go ahead and put your hypothesis to work for a second. Let's say we let Bo go after the bowl game this year. Furthermore, we lose to South Carolina, so we ended the 2011 campaign at 9-4. Keep in mind we currently have 9 commits at this point and we're in on 4 highly ranked recruits at the moment. It's Jan. 3rd, 2012, Bo is gone now and we're a month away from signing day. What is your next move?

It doesn't matter as long as Osborne is still here frankly. Are you wanting me to play AD here?

Hell with it, let's fire Osborne too. The floor is yours. Where would you go from there?

We couldn't get that lucky, theres legacies to protect. I surely wouldn't bring back the Frank Solich reunion circus which is what we got. First and foremost I would have told Callahan he fires Cosgrove or GTFO years ago. Same with Pelini and his Cottonesc type hires. When you have a failure such as Barney and you start firing people that got you 9 wins in your first season and keep Barney and his half dozen assistants, there is no hope. Yet another thing I would rather have be PSUs problem.

I would call PSU and beg them to take Pelini to assure at least one win per season by running straight at his defense with an occasional pass towards Cassidy type recruits.

I wouldn't cater to the Frank was robbed and we need to run ugly option football that anyone who stacks the box can stop.

I wouldn't allow unethical things like putting Cottons entire family through college.

Pay a little attention to Michigan, go after a proven winner with experience, someone who has taken total crap and turned it around. I would have already been flirting with people like Chris Peterson, Gary Patterson, hell I would take Leach over Pelini

• Fire 1

What's your problem 97? Anyone who knows jacks**t about college football knows that Bo is one of the best defensive mind in the game.

:lol: , lol. Bo knows one type of defense extremely well, but can't adjust it to defend different kinds of offenses. In addition, Bo is on of the best defensive minds in the game only when he has All Americans like Glenn Dorsey, Patrick Peterson, Suh, and Amukamara- none of whom he recruited. I will give him credit for Lavonte, but he really had nowhere else to go.

Bo didn't have Patrick Peterson. Doesn't make a huge difference in your overall point, but I'm just correcting that.

Checkmate