Status update on Caputo and Eric Martin for CapOne Bowl

knapplc

Is Caputo's situation different from those of Baker Steinkuhler and Rickey Thenarse last December?

"Yeah, I would say that," Pelini said.

Indeed, we do not really have other options at center.

At least - that is why it will look bad.

Could be worse. He could have beat the crap out of his ex-girl friend while the new boy friend and back up QB hid in the closet listening to her get her face slammed against a wall, door and shatter a glass window. And then we let him play. Or he could have grabbed a Kearney chick by the throat held her against the wall, grab her by the VaJay Jay and said "you're gonna be my bitch tonight", get convicted of assault, charged with rape by a second lady, and still get to play. But thats ok...cause they won a national championship.

Wow man, really? That was sure in great taste, and completely relevant.

Just pointing out that people are extremely pissed in this situation that he's not being disciplined publicly yet. And Bo is getting hung on the cross for it. Yet in the extremest of circumstances with the other issues most of the fan base looked the other way because we were winning NC and the coach was TO. The person all coaches are measured against here at Nebraska. And its laughable. He wasn't perfect or a saint and he did things to give kids a second chance and also to help his team win. It rang home when Bo said I'll do whats best for the team in part of his statement. I don't think it was directed at TO's time as coach but now that I've thought about it . . .it sure does ring home.

And FWIW, I'm not saying its right that Caputo did what he did if he in fact is charged with DUI but the fact is no one was hurt and he didn't have a history of doing stupid things or hurting people. He made a mistake that thankfully ended for the best that it could have.

Yet in the extremest of circumstances with the other issues most of the fan base looked the other way because we were winning NC and the coach was TO.

Different eras entirely. Lawrence Philips was pre-Internet. Had that happened today we'd be crucifying Osborne, and you're aware of that.

Nobody thinks Caputo is a bad guy or wants to do bad things to him. People are, justifiably, looking for consistency in the way Bo handles these things. That's not unreasonable.

I guess I would say that I trust Bo to properly discipline his players at this point. He's never given me a reason not to (that I can think of). If he feels that Caputo's situation is different enough to merit a less severe punishment, then failing any concrete evidence to the contrary, I have to take him at his word.

Am I the only one who thinks Caputo should play? People compare this to Steinkuhler's deal last year. But it's an entirely different situation. Steinkuhler got a DUI for driving. Caputo was sitting in his car keeping warm. Not driving. There's a big difference there. I've had friends who got a DUI for sitting in their car, even though the engine was not running. I always thought it was a chincy interpretation of the law to give a guy a DUI because of this. I mean, if you're not driving how can you be DUI--driving under the influence? Now if Caputo had been driving, it would be a whole different story.

Am I the only one who thinks Caputo should play? People compare this to Steinkuhler's deal last year. But it's an entirely different situation. Steinkuhler got a DUI for driving. Caputo was sitting in his car keeping warm. Not driving. There's a big difference there. I've had friends who got a DUI for sitting in their car, even though the engine was not running. I always thought it was a chincy interpretation of the law to give a guy a DUI because of this. I mean, if you're not driving how can you be DUI--driving under the influence? Now if Caputo had been driving, it would be a whole different story.

No I agree with you.

I'm with you. I still think he needs some punishment internally for being in that situation or maybe a quarter or half suspension.

I kind of have a problem with this. If you're going to discipline, at least be consistent. It would have been one thing had Caputo's car would have been running with him in it at the bar. However, it wasn't at the bar meaning it's highly probable that he drove to the parking lot where he was found.

Or he could have left his car there and been dropped off. In which case he was trying to do the right thing by sleeping it off (while not knowing about the dumb law that exists that a lot of people don't know about). I don't know the whole story though.

This is possible, but really I'm not sure it is probable. If you're going to go to a party or bar and drink, why leave your car in a convenient store parking lot? Why not just have whoever was driving pick you up at home? Most convenient stores have a two hour parking. If the car is there over two hours, it's towed. I don't know the story either, but if I had to put money on it I'd say Caputo drove drunk to the parking lot. I give him kudos for acknowledging that he was too looped to drive, but it doesn't make any less laws broken.

I'm not going to raise hell with Bo for playing Caputo over it. However, I just don't like the discrepancy in consistency in how things were handled. I believe in innocent until proven guilty as well, but Baker got booted before he was ever convicted. I will say this: I believe Caputo is playing because this is his last game rather than because we really need him. If we give TO a pass for playing LP in the bowl game, I think we've got to give Bo a pass for playing Caputo in the bowl game.

• Fire 1

I'm not going to raise hell with Bo for playing Caputo over it. However, I just don't like the discrepancy in consistency in how things were handled. I believe in innocent until proven guilty as well, but Baker got booted before he was ever convicted. I will say this: I believe Caputo is playing because this is his last game rather than because we really need him. If we give TO a pass for playing LP in the bowl game, I think we've got to give Bo a pass for playing Caputo in the bowl game.

Yep. This is pretty much how I feel.