My Take on the Game

Ronznotes

Toughness - I think I go advantage NU on this. The SEC just doesn't seem to have the games of endless pain and wearing down the opponent.

Have you watched an SEC game in the last ten years??? There is a reason that it is te best conference in the land. Those defenses you see week in and out more or less make Taylor crap his pants at night, and he doesn't have to face them.

When I watch SEC games, I think I see very talented, aggressive defenses built around speed with a big big body mixed in on the elite teams. On offense, I rarely see teams line up with multiple tight ends and grind, grind, grind their way down the field. I think I see offenses which do rush the ball, but don't live and die by the rush in the way the BIG ten teams seem to.

Overall, I think of SEC games as having extreme momentum swings which some might mistake for hard fought physical battle royales. I think the SEC has a WWF element - more show (sometimes) than truly grueling battles.

It comes down to how well our OL can block their DL that happens to be the best in the country. If they don't then Taylor will get pummeled and will likely turn the ball over since NU is statistically the worst ball security team in the country and we will get taken behind the woodshed.

I hope Beck comes up with a good game plan for that DL because we are going to need to out coach USC because we don't' have the talent on the OL to match up with them.

I agree with you, and I think from the games against the best D-Lines we have faced this year, we should be encouraged. Vs. MSU, we were told all week that their D-Line was too big, too fast, too good. I don't think it is a stretch to say that we ran over them.

Then against PSU, Devon Still really is one of the best DT's in the country, and he was disruptive a couple of times, but overall, we moved the ball very well against a really good PSU D-Line. I'm taking the wait-and -see approach on this one.

That does bode well for you. Having extra time to prepare helps too. Our team is dependant on our D-line and if you can handle them you'll be in good shape. The only teams that have had offensive success were teams that could throw the ball very well and protect the qb (usually by scheme). I don't know if NB can do that, though. I really think 17 points by either team will win this one.

I think some of your worries about our mobile qb are overstated. Shaw is not of the same mold as the other mobile qbs you've seen. Not even close really. He's fast but not elusive. He's only looking for a window to gain 5-7 quick yards and slide down. Every now and then he'll find daylight for a nice gain but he's not going to create it by himself. And we don't pass protect very well, so no worries about your d-line not getting pressure, that's a push.

All in all, I think it will be an offensively challenged game with both teams struggling to break the 10 pt barrier. Whoever does will probably win.

Toughness - I think I go advantage NU on this. The SEC just doesn't seem to have the games of endless pain and wearing down the opponent.

Have you watched an SEC game in the last ten years??? There is a reason that it is te best conference in the land. Those defenses you see week in and out more or less make Taylor crap his pants at night, and he doesn't have to face them.

When I watch SEC games, I think I see very talented, aggressive defenses built around speed with a big big body mixed in on the elite teams. On offense, I rarely see teams line up with multiple tight ends and grind, grind, grind their way down the field. I think I see offenses which do rush the ball, but don't live and die by the rush in the way the BIG ten teams seem to.

I'll agree on the defensive side of the ball. But there is a level of physicality in th SEC that is seen each week that is not seen in the B1G. All phases of the game in the SEC bring a level of toughness and speed that cannot be said for in the B1G.

As for grind it out offenses, the two best teams in the nation play that way. As did for the most part Georgia, Auburn, Miss St, and Florida this year.

But the other teams don't have those recorded either, so your point is moot and irrelevant.

:facepalm:

You said Nebraska is the worst ball security team in the nation, and even noted that the above stats don't count our own fumbles that we recover. You're arguing a point you have no way of proving without compiling 120 team's statistics from all their games.. Even then, I highly doubt that "NU is statistically the worst ball control team in the nation." But I will gladly admit I'm wrong if proven otherwise.

Have they been poor at times this year? Yes.. But it's not wise to make such a bold statement when your only reasoning, as far as I can tell, is unsubstantiated.

I'm hoping to see some misdirection game trying to get our speed outside... Then use the same stretch game to open up the middle for kyler over the top of the secondary... Been seeing all these reverse passes all bowl season, wouldn't be surprised to see something of that order!

You realize that SC has an All American DE in Melvin Ingram, and Freshman All American DE in Jadevon Clowney. I'm not sure attacking the ends is the best plan.

I'm hoping to see some misdirection game trying to get our speed outside... Then use the same stretch game to open up the middle for kyler over the top of the secondary... Been seeing all these reverse passes all bowl season, wouldn't be surprised to see something of that order!

You realize that SC has an All American DE in Melvin Ingram, and Freshman All American DE in Jadevon Clowney. I'm not sure attacking the ends is the best plan.

attacking a strength is how you find out if its really a strength or if its from playing weak SEC offenses....

I'll agree on the defensive side of the ball. But there is a level of physicality in th SEC that is seen each week that is not seen in the B1G. All phases of the game in the SEC bring a level of toughness and speed that cannot be said for in the B1G.

As for grind it out offenses, the two best teams in the nation play that way. As did for the most part Georgia, Auburn, Miss St, and Florida this year.

Have you watched ANY big games this season? honestly? you think a team like florida that was um horrible this season was stronger than a team like,say penn st?

pass the bong bro...

attacking a strength is how you find out if its really a strength or if its from playing weak SEC offenses....

Weak SEC offenses? Haha are you serious? If anyone has anything to prove on either side of the ball against the other conference its us not the SEC. They only appear weak in conference play because the defenses are so good, look at what happens when a team like say...LSU who was held to so few points against Bama plays outside the conference. They bust all over opponents' faces.

I get it, you guys are coming from a conference that was big on offense and seemed like it barely recruited kids on defense but don't assume the SEC is the opposite simply because they don't score as much in conference play.

Weak SEC offenses? Haha are you serious? If anyone has anything to prove on either side of the ball against the other conference its us not the SEC. They only appear weak in conference play because the defenses are so good, look at what happens when a team like say...LSU who was held to so few points against Bama plays outside the conference. They bust all over opponents' faces.

I get it, you guys are coming from a conference that was big on offense and seemed like it barely recruited kids on defense but don't assume the SEC is the opposite simply because they don't score as much in conference play.

You use LSU and then say that it applies to the entire SEC. I think their defensive play has something to do with making their offenses look weaker, anyways here are some stats from the SECs best offenses. Interpret them how you will.

Georgia ranks 51st in passing yards, 41st in rushing yards, and 34th in points per game.

Arkansas ranks 13th in passing yards, 79th in rushing yards, and 14th in points per game.

Alabama ranks 72nd in passing yards, 15th in rushing yards, and 16th in points per game.

LSU ranks 105th in passing yards, 17th in rushing yards, and 12th in points per game.

USC ranks 96th in passing yards, 24th in rushing yards, and 43rd in points per game.

Average ranking of the defenses: 32nd

Comparatively, here is how the top teams in the Big XII and B1G stack up:

Baylor: 4th, 13th and 4th

Oklahoma State: 2nd, 44th and 2nd

Oklahoma: 5th, 53rd, and 11th

Missouri: 62nd, 10th, and 32nd

Texas A&M: 18th, 19th, and 10th

Average ranking of the defenses: 75th

B1G

Wisconsin: 64th, 11th, and 5th

Northwestern: 34th, 36th and 49th

Michigan: 90th, 12th, and 22nd