9 Wins, Who Cares

I completely agree with what most are saying in this thread. As Bo states himself, football is about winning championships and showing signs of growth. I feel Bo's team peaked in 2009 and it's taken a step back since. This is more disturbing since this year's team should consist of all the guys he has been able to recruit and develop (along with all his coaching hires).

If Husker fans are ok with 8 or 9 wins per season and going to a decent (non-BCS) bowl every year, I think Bo will fit the bill. I personally think Osborne should recognize Bo for turning this program around to being respectable again, but then seeking out a better coach/executive to take this program to the level that I think all Husker fans would like. However, that would require finding a coach that would be a great fit for Nebraska. The one coach that comes to mind is Chris Petersen from Boise. Given his track record, I think he could jump right in and make an impact without having any players or recruits leaving the program.

I think TO knows he didnt do much better in his first 4 years and inherited a much better program(and he didnt have to make wholesale changes like Bo did) he also knows that a better (established) coach wont come here.

I don't think it's an apples to apples comparison when you look at TO's early years in the 1970s vs now. If you really wanna look at the stats, TO won 3 of his first 4 bowl games, and also finished ranked inside the top 12 at the end of the season from 1973 to 1989. The game is totally different, and recruiting is much more competitive now. I'm just afraid that a few more seasons of beating up on easier competition and losing the "big ones" will solidify NU's reputation as a good but not great program.

If the main reason Bo's teams have lost the big games is due to a lack of execution, why exactly do other teams execute and his teams cannot? Is it lack of game preparation? Lack of mental toughness? Or are the players he recruited just not at the same level?

it also took him 9 years to win a conf title outright.... its not an apples to apples, but it is something to keep in mind. its also good to remember that he was better than 99.9% of coaches.

I completely agree with what most are saying in this thread. As Bo states himself, football is about winning championships and showing signs of growth. I feel Bo's team peaked in 2009 and it's taken a step back since. This is more disturbing since this year's team should consist of all the guys he has been able to recruit and develop (along with all his coaching hires).

If Husker fans are ok with 8 or 9 wins per season and going to a decent (non-BCS) bowl every year, I think Bo will fit the bill. I personally think Osborne should recognize Bo for turning this program around to being respectable again, but then seeking out a better coach/executive to take this program to the level that I think all Husker fans would like. However, that would require finding a coach that would be a great fit for Nebraska. The one coach that comes to mind is Chris Petersen from Boise. Given his track record, I think he could jump right in and make an impact without having any players or recruits leaving the program.

I think TO knows he didnt do much better in his first 4 years and inherited a much better program(and he didnt have to make wholesale changes like Bo did) he also knows that a better (established) coach wont come here.

I don't think it's an apples to apples comparison when you look at TO's early years in the 1970s vs now. If you really wanna look at the stats, TO won 3 of his first 4 bowl games, and also finished ranked inside the top 12 at the end of the season from 1973 to 1989. The game is totally different, and recruiting is much more competitive now. I'm just afraid that a few more seasons of beating up on easier competition and losing the "big ones" will solidify NU's reputation as a good but not great program.

If the main reason Bo's teams have lost the big games is due to a lack of execution, why exactly do other teams execute and his teams cannot? Is it lack of game preparation? Lack of mental toughness? Or are the players he recruited just not at the same level?

it also took him 9 years to win a conf title outright.... its not an apples to apples, but it is something to keep in mind. its also good to remember that he was better than 99.9% of coaches.

True, but I still think TO's earlier years were much more disciplined and consistent than what we've seen from Pelini. I don't believe people were questioning which Nebraska team would show up each week.

The bottom line is that Nebraska now has a more difficult road to winning a conference championship that TO did early on, and in order to win the championships that Bo preaches, we have to have a top-notch coaching staff across the board to get there.

With the issues everybody has given, and I can agree with almost all of them, it seems to me that even if Bo even remotely thought he wasnt doing a good job himself wouldnt he want to hire some other coaches who can help him and take off some of the pressure? If I was an up and comming coach who has an idea of what i want to do I would make sure I have the best around me, hell who wouldnt. I wouldnt want to get fired by taking chances all the time and hope something will work, maybe his ego wont let him IDK. I will say this tho the recruiting stuff is getting crazy we have some talent for sure but only getting small classes with holes needing filled and we cant get the best of the best to come here I would make damn sure that those players or coaches that arent holding their end would be gone and I would find those who can! Talent hurt us today and we know this, yes I am a fan of Green, Moore, Carnes, Turner, Heard, Abdulla etc.. but they arent all helping at this point yet so if we are going to get better next year wouldnt have we seen more of these guys this year? I dont have the asnwers like the rest of ya but damn this is getting crazy Coaching and talent wins average of any of them dont how do we change that? lol I guess I will go back to playing NCAA 12 on xbox and figure it out and let you all know.lol GOBIGRED and wait for next year AGAIN

We play the players we have recruited... which should be priority number one.

An priority number one for recruiting should be a quarterback who can reliably complete passes down field.

To be considered a "dual threat", you need to be a threat in the passing game too.

You sir are correct! What a concept! Yet there are still people that blindly support TM. Even more than dual-threat, i think the QB needs to be an above average passer who is just efficient at running. I'd say if you look at Russell Wilson that is the type of QB that we need.

im pretty disappoint yes to be honest with you...i have a feeling we wont be getting a lot of the hype we have gotten the last two years...i have feeling next season we will not be mentioned so positively amongst the critics.......

while i am bummed i hope we can shore up a good recruiting class and set for a solid run next year......

@ Wisconsin = Huge Loss

vs Ohio State = Lucky win (Should have lost this one, don't kid yourself)

vs Northwestern = Ugly Loss

@ Michigan = Huge Loss

@ South Carolina = Huge Loss (Yes, it was huge)

We went 8-5 this year as far as I'm concerned. We did worse this year than in 2010 and 2012 isn't going looking to be any better. We lose Dennard and David (By FAR our 2 biggest playmakers on defense) and we're going to need to bring in some high caliber recruits and some high caliber coaches to show them the ropes.

Yes, call me a pessimist, but I'm just looking at the facts.

Someone please reply to this and show me why I'm an idiot. Seriously. Watching all the other teams playing this week (Oregon, Wisconsin, Stanford, Okie State, etc.) we aren't even CLOSE to these teams. They don't continually shoot themselves in the foot each and every week. Is it the coaches or the players? Someone make sense of this for me!

9 wins is good, but I can't help think that this program took a "huge" step back today. Sorry but I had flashbacks of the Callahan years today.... It was 16-13 and it felt like they were down by 30. <_<

On the contrary, I felt like we were the better team through three quarters, but we shot ourselves in the feet too many times, and the c&#036;%ks were just opportunistic and made a few big plays. The c&#036;%ks owned the fourth qtr, very disturbing........

@ Wisconsin = Huge Loss

vs Ohio State = Lucky win (Should have lost this one, don't kid yourself)

vs Northwestern = Ugly Loss

@ Michigan = Huge Loss

@ South Carolina = Huge Loss (Yes, it was huge)

We went 8-5 this year as far as I'm concerned. We did worse this year than in 2010 and 2012 isn't going looking to be any better. We lose Dennard and David (By FAR our 2 biggest playmakers on defense) and we're going to need to bring in some high caliber recruits and some high caliber coaches to show them the ropes.

Yes, call me a pessimist, but I'm just looking at the facts.

Someone please reply to this and show me why I'm an idiot. Seriously. Watching all the other teams playing this week (Oregon, Wisconsin, Stanford, Okie State, etc.) we aren't even CLOSE to these teams. They don't continually shoot themselves in the foot each and every week. Is it the coaches or the players? Someone make sense of this for me!

You aren't looking at "facts" when you count Ohio State as a loss. We won the game. :facepalm:

• Fire 1

After watching the season and today's game, I think this team could beat or lose to any team in the country.

How's that fantasy land working out for you?

We sucked out loud today. A 17 point loss can't just get chalked up to bad breaks that could have gone either way. We were nowhere near good enough to beat the Gamecocks.

Did you watch it? A fumble in the redzone which would have likely made it first and goal and a hail mary prayer touchdown?....Fantasy? Ok....I guess.

We have had so many of these mistakes and missed opportunities this year and the past few years though. I keep hearing "execution" from the coaches, but at what point is do the coaches take responsibility for the players continuous lack of execution?

• Fire 1