Fans Should expect more

What should they do? Go out and hold the players hand? Make the play for them? Sorry but at some point they HAVE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR POSITION. If they can't do that then they need to be pulled but Bo isn't willing to do that. THAT Is what sticks in my craw.

Yes, the players are at fault to a certain, very minimal, degree. However, you're missing the big picture here. This is year four under the Pelini regime, meaning one thing: these are HIS players, not Billy C's. He handpicked these players to fit the sort of system that he wanted to employ. If these players are not up to snuff, not showing heart, consistently not executing, or if they are just simply inferior athletes, that's Bo Pelini's problem.

I know you probably don't want to hear much from Carolina fans, so you can write off my comments if you want, but I figured I'd chime in on this.

I've lived in Omaha for almost 4 years now, and over that time span I've found myself pulling for the Huskers more and more. I like the program, the tradition, and the fans. The people and their passion of the game remind me a lot of South Carolina fans. That being said, I was disappointed in Pelini during and after the game. The way he coached during the game was pathetic, and the way he placed the blame on the players was equally pathetic. When you have a team out there that has the talent to go head to head with a team like South Carolina, you should be more focused. Pelini decided he was going to focus more on yelling at the refs and having a bad attitude about the way the game was going rather than coaching his players to get better results on the field.

The team picks up on the attitude of the coach. He was yelling at the refs and at his own players in frustration, and that influences players. I saw someone mention the fact that Saban does the same thing at Alabama. He does to a point, but it's obvious that he knows how to coach a lot better in situations like this than Pelini. When the players don't execute, only so much of it is their fault. Coaching plays a huge role in what happens on the field, whether it's leading up to a game or during it. You can't expect the team to play their hearts out if the coach is on the sideline whining about a bad call. (And yes, I'll say it, Nebraska got the short end of the stick as far as referees go. There were a lot of penalties that should not have been called, but that's not the reason Nebraska lost).

My point is that Pelini is not coaching his players right. If he keeps it up like this, calling out the players and placing the blame on others where at least part of it should be on you, Nebraska won't get any further than 9-10 wins a season. I like Nebraska a lot, and I really want them to win a National Championship one day (as long as it's not over Carolina :)), and I don't see that happening with the way things are going with Pelini. My opinion? Give him one more year to sort things out and see if he can do something with this team. If he gives similar results next year, it's time to change something up.

"Our guys didn't do what they were coached to do," Pelini said of the play. "Period. End of story."

I find this to be very concerning. You don't throw your team under the bus like this. These are YOUR players, Pelini and it's YOUR responsibility to get them to play like you coach them to.

You'll find this out when you have kids. Bo's not throwing the team under the bus-he's just telling the truth. You can coach a kid til you're blue in the face but if they don't do what you've coached them to do then what can you do? When you tell your kid, 'Don't touch that hot stove, it will burn you!' and they turn around and touch it, what can you do? So how is it Bo's responsibility to get them to play like he coaches them? He can't go out on the field and hold their hand! My point is this: At some point, these kids are going to have to be accountable for what they are taught in practice. They are going to have to be responsible for their mistakes. No one says anything when these kids do what they were coached to do. Everything is fine then. But when they don't execute it's all the coach's fault. I'm sorry, I don't buy that. Do we have problems? Yep. But can we really blame all of this on the coach?

Wrong... Coaching 101: When you win, heap praise on the players and your assistants, when you lose it's your fault, just how it is. It IS Bo's responsiblty to get them to play how he coaches, we pay him mountains of money to do just that, it is in his job discription, he isnt a parent, he is a coach big difference. Bo is the face of this program, he should not publicly throw his players under the bus, these are kids, not pros.

I disagree. At some point these kids have GOT to start taking responsibility. What do we want Bo to do? Go out and hold their hand? He can coach them, talk to them, go through the motions with them but in the end they have to execute the play. I also disagree that there is a big difference between being a parent and being a coach. We coach our kids every day of their lives. But in the end they are the ones that make the decisions/choices in their lives. It's the same with these players. They have to make good choices. (Please know that I'm disagreeing with you with the utmost respect :)) My biggest gripe with Bo is that he isn't playing his entire team. Man! If a kid isn't getting it done, pull him and put someone else in. It's a team! Play like a team. Good grief! If the player is having a 'bad hair day' take him out and put someone in who IS ready to play and who might make a difference. Look how long Callahan made Ganz sit the bench! I can just imagine how many more games we would've won had Joe Ganz been our starting quarterback. Blah! Bo has GOT to start using ALL of his players. He just has to! (end of rant ;))

So.... The kid cant execute it's not Bo's fault, the kid needs to admit his failure. But Bo not playing back ups, is his fault? We see the same mistakes game after game, this is the Coaches fault, by either not teaching the starter to play better, or not playinfg someone who can. If no one else can, it is the coaches fault for not recuriting better. This is not one game is is systemic right now. How many penalties in one series (4!) How many times have we seen the third quarter melt down? Heck as I type this my phone is blowing up over talk of a coach stepping down due to arrogance from Bo, and not letting the staff make choices on players. I want Bo to succeed so bad I can taste it, but I refuse to sunshine pump the guy... And I refuse to let him throw his guys under the bus in public. Much like our past President the ability to admit mistakes is a very valuable thing....

Let me say, I'm not for tossing T.M. under the bus, but we'll find out how serious these folks are about winning when we find out who our QB will be next year. T.M (by any stretch of the imagination) is not a QB at this level. I'm surprise the ball makes it to it's target half the time. What amazes me is how they haven't taken care of that horrible stance and throwing motion. Can T.M. catch? I'm guessing he can and he would probably be better utilized at a tight-end or end position. He's too skinny to be a runner. Find a place he can benefit us...assuming he would make the change and be positive about it (we won't get into what Daddy might would think). What amazes me is how our coaches can sit around and watch that stance and throwing motion and continue to let him play the position (since it hasn't changed at all the entire season). Does someone have nude pictures of someone else, or is this a case of stubborness from someone playing him just because many are calling for a change? All I know is I played football at this place...and I'm getting fatigued watching the last couple seasons. I can accept that we will lose a few games, but I can't accept watching the implosion that inevitably takes place. You never know if this teams going to "show up". I haven't given up on BO, but I am getting tired of hearing my friends at work attach the word "crazy" to him. Then again, that face that he presents a national audience does little to make things better.

Let me say, I'm not for tossing T.M. under the bus, but we'll find out how serious these folks are about winning when we find out who our QB will be next year. T.M (by any stretch of the imagination) is not a QB at this level. I'm surprise the ball makes it to it's target half the time. What amazes me is how they haven't taken care of that horrible stance and throwing motion. Can T.M. catch? I'm guessing he can and he would probably be better utilized at a tight-end or end position. He's too skinny to be a runner. Find a place he can benefit us...assuming he would make the change and be positive about it (we won't get into what Daddy might would think). What amazes me is how our coaches can sit around and watch that stance and throwing motion and continue to let him play the position (since it hasn't changed at all the entire season). Does someone have nude pictures of someone else, or is this a case of stubborness from someone playing him just because many are calling for a change? All I know is I played football at this place...and I'm getting fatigued watching the last couple seasons. I can accept that we will lose a few games, but I can't accept watching the implosion that inevitably takes place. You never know if this teams going to "show up". I haven't given up on BO, but I am getting tired of hearing my friends at work attach the word "crazy" to him. Then again, that face that he presents a national audience does little to make things better.

Are you suggesting that Martinez plays tight end/ or defensive end? I could see him as a WR (maybe).... While I'm not sold on his mechanics, I do think that Martinez is capable of playing football at this level, having said that, I do think that Nebraska can put better on the field (Fuller should get an early look if he is N)....

The media can try and paint Bo however they want, but I believe that he has this program going in the right direction. I've mentioned this a number of times on the board today, but 38 wins in 4 years is impressive, and should be considered headed in the right direction by anyone....

And in those 38 wins how many teams did we beat that ended up in the top 25 in the country. I have no idea but I would guess very few. Michigan State this year, Oklahoma State last year. Could be a lot more. But doubtful. I am not talking about before we played them, where they ended up at the end of the season. That is the true ranking.

is BO just that bad at recruiting? he is not progressing from his second year. and we looked very undersized yesterday and the athletic disparity was quite apparent.

what-if-im-not-sure-if-serious-or-trolling.jpg

He actually has a point if you take off your homer glasses. Pelini has not been a great recruiter and look at our defense this year. We had an amazing lb and a good Dt in Crick. When our defense was one of the best in the nation, they were mostly Callahan's recruits. Pelini hasnt recruited many good players. Dont get me wrong, Pelini is an great coach but he seems to be a horrible recruiter. I still think he should get two more years to turn things around, if things dont turn around in two years then we need to get rid of him, he may just be defensive coordinator material.

I just don't get posts like this.... Bo can't recruit? Really? He recruited our two best players on defense this year (Dennard, David) and both are All-American caliber; Bo is also responsible for recruiting all of our best skill players on offense the past couple years (Martinez, Burkhead, K.Bell, Kyler Reed, Q. Enunwa, Jamal Turner).... Just last year Bo grabbed A. Green (5*), C. Jackson (4*), B.Heard (4*), T.Moore (4*).... This class has started off slower, but the class rankings are misleading, if you want to get a true feel for the class look at average star per recruit.... I think we're like 12th this year, and were around the top ten last year....

And in those 38 wins how many teams did we beat that ended up in the top 25 in the country. I have no idea but I would guess very few. Michigan State this year, Oklahoma State last year. Could be a lot more. But doubtful. I am not talking about before we played them, where they ended up at the end of the season. That is the true ranking.

I don't see that to be all that relevent to be honest with you... In those 4 years we were in the Big 12, and the Big Ten, so there weren't many easy games along the way.... you play who is on the schedule and those 38 wins are impressive no matter the competition....

Bo is an elite coaching talent....He hasn't peeked yet, but when he does, look out.... I just hope he is still at Nebraska when he does....

Bo has never beaten a team to finish in the top ten.

Bo has beaten three team in the top 15, Michigan State, Missouri and Oklahoma State, but his team finished behind all three in the end.

No other wins against a top 25 team at the end of the BCS.

Yes that scream elite to me.

Beating the bottom feeders does not count as elite.

Okay negative Nancy, but you guys have to start realizing he is not perfect. That is what sets up all this hate at the end of the year.

He has done a good job, but he is not an elite coach, he has not won much of anything important.

He is a problem media wise.

He may get us there, but you need to see just how sucessful he has been. 38 wins is fine, but again against who and how did he fare afterwards.

Bo has never beaten a team to finish in the top ten.

Bo has beaten three team in the top 15, Michigan State, Missouri and Oklahoma State, but his team finished behind all three in the end.

No other wins against a top 25 team at the end of the BCS.

Yes that scream elite to me.

Beating the bottom feeders does not count as elite.

Okay negative Nancy, but you guys have to start realizing he is not perfect. That is what sets up all this hate at the end of the year.

He has done a good job, but he is not an elite coach, he has not won much of anything important.

He is a problem media wise.

He may get us there, but you need to see just how sucessful he has been. 38 wins is fine, but again against who and how did he fare afterwards.

I said elite talent.... I also acknowledged that he isn't there yet.... You don't think Bo has an extremely bright future as a coach?

In honesty if he continues on the route he is taking he will fail. He will end his career here with in two years and will never be offered a head coaching job again is my guess. He has a lot of talent I think, but I wonder if he is truly head coaching material. I think his biggest error is his loyalty to his friends and those that he promotes. He needs help, and I think even more so after looking back at the wins and losses and who he has beaten that were real opponents.

His media presence is a problem.

We need him to learn how to be a head coach in todays climate. We need him to make it, more than anything else.

I do not dislike Bo, but I think we get to caught up in protecting him and his record. I will continue to support him, as I feel he is doing the job the best he can and has in the right direction. But I do not feel he has reached anywhere near elite, and get sick of hearing it.