Nate Meier... possibility

Are we looking at the same film? I don't see anything on this kid that makes me think he would even come close to contributing. Slooowwwww. Not evasive. I'm sure he's a great kid, but not D1 material in my opinion.

This is one game film. He is NOT slow. The team he was playing was the 2nd best team in the State and they have State track kids across the board. The opponent has 2-3 guys with at least sub 4.5 (not 'blazing') and Nate runs away from them. His not "elusive"... you are exactly right... He would NOT be an I-back on any team. If you are looking at him from strictly a RB, then you are ABSOLUTELY spot on. He will not be an I-back.

Possible a FB at 6'2 245..... only going to get bigger.

*** He isn't slow... Last year at the South Dakota ( maybe South Dakota State?) Indoor HS track meet.... I believe he finished 7th out of 112 athletes in the 55 meter dash. This was a meet with kids from Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota and Minnesota.

He is questionable at best as a DI..... not sure anyone has said different. Maybe I should have added "walk-on" or "gray-shirt" to thread title.... \

Being a coach for the past 15 years at a decent talent level..... seeing kids from the Harlan's (Koch Hoch brothers), Souix City Heelens (Wegher), Logan Magnolia ( Alvis)...... Bronson Marsh (Nebraska)....... I am just saying that in person, he is every bit as impressive as most of these guys.... All of whom start for DI schools (except Wegher - who did)........ Oh, and Marsh

Fixe it for ya.

Are we looking at the same film? I don't see anything on this kid that makes me think he would even come close to contributing. Slooowwwww. Not evasive. I'm sure he's a great kid, but not D1 material in my opinion.

This is one game film. He is NOT slow. The team he was playing was the 2nd best team in the State and they have State track kids across the board. The opponent has 2-3 guys with at least sub 4.5 (not 'blazing') and Nate runs away from them. His not "elusive"... you are exactly right... He would NOT be an I-back on any team. If you are looking at him from strictly a RB, then you are ABSOLUTELY spot on. He will not be an I-back.

*** He isn't slow... Last year at the South Dakota ( maybe South Dakota State?) Indoor HS track meet.... I believe he finished 7th out of 112 athletes in the 55 meter dash. This was a meet with kids from Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota and Minnesota.

He is questionable at best as a DI..... not sure anyone has said different. Maybe I should have added "walk-on" or "gray-shirt" to thread title.... \

Being a coach for the past 15 years at a decent talent level..... seeing kids from the Harlan's (Koch brothers), Souix City Heelens (Wegher), Logan Magnolia ( Alvis)...... Bronson Marsh (Nebraska)....... I am just saying that in person, he is every bit as impressive as most of these guys.... All of whom start for DI schools (except Wegher - who did)........ Oh, and Marsh

I agree he could be a walk-on but no way is he as good as Wegher was in HS. (I know Meier should be considered a FB) people must realize this, but Wegher was offered by Auburn, Nebraska, IA, Penn St, Wiscy to name a few.

Being a coach for the past 15 years at a decent talent level..... seeing kids from the Harlan's (Koch brothers), Souix City Heelens (Wegher), Logan Magnolia ( Alvis)...... Bronson Marsh (Nebraska)....... I am just saying that in person, he is every bit as impressive as most of these guys.... All of whom start for DI schools (except Wegher - who did)........ Oh, and Marsh

I agree he could be a walk-on but no way is he as good as Wegher was in HS. (I know Meier should be considered a FB) people must realize this, but Wegher was offered by Auburn, Nebraska, IA, Penn St, Wiscy to name a few.

No, Wegher was impressive...but as an I back.... Meier will not be an I back at DI..... UNI, South Dakota, and Mankato all have him as their number 1 Tailback recruit, but if he is Divsion 1, it will NOT be at I-back...... Wegher was impressive... I am not comparing athletes, but athletes at their 'prospective position'...... and I will 100 % guarantee you that if Meier played at Heelan or Harlan, he would be getting almost the same looks as these guys did. But because he is from small town Iowa, he will have to earn his way.... The size of school really helps the looks and offers ... (and it should), but an athlete is an athlete

My brother in law was on the chain gang for that championship game and he said the kid was a stud (8 man player) but questioned how good he or his team would be if they played 11 man (like they should have since they have more then enough bodies for it – that is a totally different agreement all together though). He thought if they were playing 11 man that the kid would be on the defensive said of the ball (like HANC said). He said he was not any better then the QB for the Class A Champion (North Tama) the year before that walked on and redshirted at Iowa this past year.

I do agree though that it wouldn’t hurt to offer him a spot as a walk on but absolutely nothing more then that. Bring him and if he works his way onto the field as a major contributor then give him a scholarship, no way he should get one from day one though.

You can't possibly compare this kid to Marsh. I watched Marsh in person many times and he makes this kid look like he's standing still.

At 6'2 245, and bench over 400, with state track 100....... Meier would run OVER Marsh.....speed wouldn't matter..... It's funny how you seem to know so much about this kid.....have you seen him in person? Probably not, or you wouldn't be so sure of yourself...... I am sure Marsh makes a lot of people look slow.....he is a QB/DB/Athlete...... I bet he make Legate look slow.....

I am saying that if the guys I mentioned can make it at DI at their positions, so can Meier.... Please compare apples to apples....

My brother in law was on the chain gang for that championship game and he said the kid was a stud (8 man player) but questioned how good he or his team would be if they played 11 man (like they should have since they have more then enough bodies for it – that is a totally different agreement all together though). He thought if they were playing 11 man that the kid would be on the defensive said of the ball (like HANC said). He said he was not any better then the QB for the Class A Champion (North Tama) the year before that walked on and redshirted at Iowa this past year.

I do agree though that it wouldn’t hurt to offer him a spot as a walk on but absolutely nothing more then that. Bring him and if he works his way onto the field as a major contributor then give him a scholarship, no way he should get one from day one though.

That is exactly what I am saying. Bring him in as a walk-on or gray shirt. Many reporters, radio figure heads and coaches said that Meier was the best looking athlete in the State Finals.... all class....period. Once again, if he was at a bigger school, he would be getting looks....

The Huskers need to sign Nate Meier. This kid can flat out play. I had to go watch him play in person because I had to make my own decision. I have watched many Nebraska Class A games over the years and Nate reminds me of former Husker Judd Davies of Millard North. He was a man amoung boys on the High School football field. Another former Husker player he reminds me of is Chad Kelsay of Auburn Nebraska , a player that Dominated in high school. You could not go wrong with him on your team. He is also the type that would push his teammates to excell. He is a hard worker in the weight room (benches 385), and will open some eyes. He would be a huge crowd favorite. He is the Husker image, the poster boy for a hard nosed smash mouth team.And he is right in our backyard.

The more I watched him play, the more I want him to stay at running back. He would be that third down/red zone running back we need so bad. Even at fullback he could get the job done as he takes pride in blocking and has good hands. Some think of him as a DE, but if he plays defense, I see him more comfortable as a down lineman. I tell you he just explodes off the ball . D-line is another huge need for the Huskers. I hope all the coaches at Nebraska know about Nate Meier.

Not trying to bash the guy, but we have walk-ons on the team right now with more talent. Stil, I'd like to see him give the walk-on program at NU a try. That could be his best route to FBS football. Well, unless he wants to go to someplace like South Dakoty State. He'd probably tear it up at a smaller school like that.

Is Nate Meier listed in Rivals or Scout or 247? I couldn't find him.

Not trying to bash the guy, but we have walk-ons on the team right now with more talent. Stil, I'd like to see him give the walk-on program at NU a try. That could be his best route to FBS football. Well, unless he wants to go to someplace like South Dakoty State. He'd probably tear it up at a smaller school like that.

You can not judge by the video. You have to see him play in person. You would be a believer. And I know we have very talented walk-ons, but I think Nate could be a guy that challenges those 4-star/5-star guys at a running back position. He is what we are missing on short yardage situations..He would fill that role. I hope we get to see.

You can not judge by the video. You have to see him play in person. You would be a believer. And I know we have very talented walk-ons, but I think Nate could be a guy that challenges those 4-star/5-star guys at a running back position. He is what we are missing on short yardage situations..He would fill that role. I hope we get to see.

The Huskers need to sign Nate Meier. This kid can flat out play. I had to go watch him play in person because I had to make my own decision. I have watched many Nebraska Class A games over the years and Nate reminds me of former Husker Judd Davies of Millard North. He was a man amoung boys on the High School football field. Another former Husker player he reminds me of is Chad Kelsay of Auburn Nebraska , a player that Dominated in high school. You could not go wrong with him on your team. He is also the type that would push his teammates to excell. He is a hard worker in the weight room (benches 385), and will open some eyes. He would be a huge crowd favorite. He is the Husker image, the poster boy for a hard nosed smash mouth team.And he is right in our backyard.

The more I watched him play, the more I want him to stay at running back. He would be that third down/red zone running back we need so bad. Even at fullback he could get the job done as he takes pride in blocking and has good hands. Some think of him as a DE, but if he plays defense, I see him more comfortable as a down lineman. I tell you he just explodes off the ball . D-line is another huge need for the Huskers. I hope all the coaches at Nebraska know about Nate Meier.

This is exactly who I thought of when I saw the video.

Iowa is reportedly making some kind of move for him....walk on or scholly, I don't know. They were going to visit his school early this week.

It's funny the 2 people who posted that have actually SEEN this kid in person both think he can play DI. And BOTH posters, have been around and seen DI talent. Heck, I have coached kids who went DI....

Everyone who is bashing him are basing their assessment on some homemade youtube video shot from the stands by a fan. If Meier set his mind to it, he could make it, and yes, be a crowd favorite. But yes, he could go to a smaller school and tear it up..... it's a decision that he has to make and then choose DI (whatever school) or smaller school'

Yes, someone said that we already have walk ons "better".... I don't disagree, but I KNOW that we also have not only walk ons, but a few on scholly that he IS BETTER THAN. Bank it !!

Who if anyone is this guy being recruited by from our staff?

He and his coaches had visited with JP when he was recruiting Coord.... and Meier was on sideline as a visitor for a game and attended a few more on his own..... Once JP was promoted, and shortly before bowl, I don't know if there has been anymore contact at this point. Probably waiting to see has class shapes up and see if he is worth a greyshirt or walk on...