Historical recruiting battles lost………

I think all that have been named above are better than the one that I will list, but since 'most' of the good ones are gone, I will say that I was disappointed that we lost Tom Zibikowski (sp) to ND and he went on the become All American and a pretty good player in the NFL.....

But..... I still remember driving to class at UNL, listening to sports talk radio on signing day and vividly hearing that the Huskers just secured the LOI from a QB from Bradenton Florida named Tommie Frazier.

The failure to obtain Carl Crawfords LOI was something that probably changed Husker History for years. Had he come to play QB under Solich he would have been the QB after Crouch and Jamal Lord could have been the D Back he was intended to be. I'm not saying CC would have guaranteed us a top 5 finish but we'd have been better no doubt and might have saved Solich's career here......so we could still be debating that!

NU had his LOI signed and delivered. The draft came afterwards. Can't really see how this was a failure when you look at the career he has had in the MLB to date. I do agree with you that if Carl had chosen football, the Clownahan era never occurs.

Carlyle Holiday is another tough one that NU lost to ND. He could have been a very smooth option QB here

I think all that have been named above are better than the one that I will list, but since 'most' of the good ones are gone, I will say that I was disappointed that we lost Tom Zibikowski (sp) to ND and he went on the become All American and a pretty good player in the NFL.....

But..... I still remember driving to class at UNL, listening to sports talk radio on signing day and vividly hearing that the Huskers just secured the LOI from a QB from Bradenton Florida named Tommie Frazier.

Yeah losing TZ as tough, seemed as if he was leaning towards NU then he visited ND late and they wooed him with their boxing gym.

Yeah losing TZ as tough, seemed as if he was leaning towards NU then he visited ND late and they wooed him with their boxing gym.

I recall him commenting on how telling Frank he wasn't coming after all was one of the most difficult things he ever had to do..................seemed like he really had a solid connection with FS..............

Ironically, his family really pushed the Domers, and maybe the Westerkamp decision is finally payback.............

Charlie Mcbride was recruiting Barry Sanders very hard and Sanders was going to commit and sign his LOI to Nebraska. However, Johnny Rodgers son committed and McBride turned down Sanders.

Johnny's son never saw the field and Sanders won the Heisman trophy.

If true, what a travesty..................Sanders was undoubtedly the most exciting runner I have ever seen.............

In fact even though Okie lite had Thurman Thomas ahead of him, I still marveled at Pat Jones keeping Barry off the field for so long.......

I second that, that would be the biggest blown call in college recruiting, much like in the NFL Green bay recruiting Brian Bosworth instead of Sanders. I have never seen anything like Sanders in my life, but hope to see it again.

What about LaMichael James? Weren't we in his top two or something?

Yep, we were even leading the race for awhile.. Not too sure what happened there though

Charlie Mcbride was recruiting Barry Sanders very hard and Sanders was going to commit and sign his LOI to Nebraska. However, Johnny Rodgers son committed and McBride turned down Sanders.

Johnny's son never saw the field and Sanders won the Heisman trophy.

If true, what a travesty..................Sanders was undoubtedly the most exciting runner I have ever seen.............

In fact even though Okie lite had Thurman Thomas ahead of him, I still marveled at Pat Jones keeping Barry off the field for so long.......

I second that, that would be the biggest blown call in college recruiting, much like in the NFL Green bay recruiting Brian Bosworth instead of Sanders. I have never seen anything like Sanders in my life, but hope to see it again.

Yep, we were even leading the race for awhile.. Not too sure what happened there though

Indeed we were, but was steered to Oregon.

Indeed we were, but was steered to Oregon.

Craze, well played again! Like your taste!

On another note, ppl can say what they want but all isn't what it seems in Eugene.

The failure to obtain Carl Crawfords LOI was something that probably changed Husker History for years. Had he come to play QB under Solich he would have been the QB after Crouch and Jamal Lord could have been the D Back he was intended to be. I'm not saying CC would have guaranteed us a top 5 finish but we'd have been better no doubt and might have saved Solich's career here......so we could still be debating that!

If thats true then the Bill Callahan thing would have never happened. Bo may not have ever gone to OU / LSU...and who knows? Maybe the Big 12 would have been what the SEC is today and we would have just won a big12 championship this year. :P

edit - we may have also been stuck with Pedersen though as well.

NU had his LOI signed and delivered. The draft came afterwards. Can't really see how this was a failure when you look at the career he has had in the MLB to date. I do agree with you that if Carl had chosen football, the Clownahan era never occurs.

Carlyle Holiday is another tough one that NU lost to ND. He could have been a very smooth option QB here

I didn't realize he had delivered the LOI. I knew he chose baseball instead of football and Frank knew his job just got tougher.

I didn't realize he had delivered the LOI. I knew he chose baseball instead of football and Frank knew his job just got tougher.

No prob. Just like Bubba last year. Except Carl didn't humor the staff or team by coming in August camp