50th Anniversary of the Hiring of Bob Devaney

knapplc

I don't quite know how we missed this one. A milestone of sorts occurred last weekend - the 50th anniversary of the hiring of Bob Devaney as Nebraska's head football coach on January 6th, 1962.

HuskerMax has compiled some links to the story, showing the background of the hire, and its impact today.

LINK

• Fire 1

Greatest hire? In hindsight, yes. At the time it just seemed like "he's better than the guy we just fired." The same could be said about Pelini. I doubt we'll be talking about Bo like this in 50 years, though.

However, the greatest hire at UNL (athletically speaking) is probably Terry Pettit. Pettit created volleyball in this state, worked tirelessly for decades touring Nebraska giving clinics and educating High School coaches, and basically created a collegiate juggernaut out of nothing. He then hand-picked his successor, a man who went on to win two national championships, and who has perpetuated the success Pettit started.

I think it could be argued that Coach Devaney had as a great of an impact on the state of Nebraska as anyone. He created something that we could all relate too, and something that we all take great pride in.... I think I speak for all of us when I say that one of the things I live for are them Fall Saturdays in Nebraska. The joy that Nebraska football has brought us all in the past, well we can thank Coach Devaney for it.... And for the heartache?.... Thank Bill Callahan!

Rest in Peace Coach Devaney....

For me, Bob Devaney is to Nebraska football what George Washington is to this country. Heck probably more than that even. Without Bob we could easily have virtually nothing to be discussing on this board or the impulse to do it.

edit- My most prized piece of Husker memorabilia is a small award/plaque/statue thingy the NCAA presented to Bob Devaney thanking him for his contributions to certain committees. It sat on his desk for years. And no, it's not for sale. Ever.

For me, Bob Devaney is to Nebraska football what George Washington is to this country. Heck probably more than that even. Without Bob we could easily have virtually nothing to be discussing on this board or the impulse to do it.

edit- My most prized piece of Husker memorabilia is a small award/plaque/statue thingy the NCAA presented to Bob Devaney thanking him for his contributions to certain committees. It sat on his desk for years. And no, it's not for sale. Ever.

Cool. One of the neatest pieces of Husker memorabilia I've heard of. Really. :)

I want to know how you got that. That's cool. Got a pic you could show us?

He certainly personified the state with a style we still attempt to resurrect.

And, I would agree with those who say he maybe was our most important hire ever.

But, to remind those who think our history only begins with the Bobfather…..

Remember in 1922 and 1923 we gave the infamous four horsemen of Notre Dame 2 of their only ( I believe) four losses total………….

So, we have a bit of history before him.

I want to know how you got that. That's cool. Got a pic you could show us?

I got it at a Big Red of the Rockies dinner/auction in Estes Park back shortly after BD passed. Big Red of the Rockies (Husker clothing store) would have a yearly banquet with guest coaches, players (met both Frazier & Crouch there), etc. and the guy(s) that owned it were connected well to NU football, boosters, etc. I believe Gary Novotny of Gary Michael Clothiers started the store and his brother Gayle ran the store. Gary would usually bring some pretty neat stuff out from Lincoln for the yearly banquet but I thought that one was the most unique and maybe most personal item. If I recall, the story was that it was one of the few items allowed out of the estate and it had been on BD's desk at the University for years. I will try to get a pic of it and see if I can figure out this netweb thingy enough to get it to post. FYI- Jesse Kosch runs the shop up in Estes now. Make sure to stop in and talk Big Red ball with him if you're ever in the area.

It will remain in my family as long as somebody really wants it. If the day ever comes that is not the case, I will donate it back to an appropriate place within the University.

• Fire 1