How good can we be with TM under center next year?

G0B1GRED

Nebraska will probably have 9-10 wins max based on nothing more than talent as long as Taylor is the starting QB. He just doesn't have the arm or mental ability to read and beat defenses.

Being limited to 9 or 10 wins next season will be based upon more than the "talent" (lack thereof) for the Huskers. I'd say more to the point is that the limitations stem more fully from a coaching problem --- the inability of this staff to motivate the players to play 4 quarters of focused, aggressive football on both sides of the ball each game. This staff has not produced a team that is disciplined or fundamentally sound --- the penalties, the missed assignments, the dropped passes, the running around before the snap trying to figure out who is where and what they are doing. The staff has routinely failed to make half-time adjustments or counter the adjustments of the our opponents. The roster management issues of moving players around to play a position for a game or two and then yank them never to be seen again. The lack of development of sound mechanics on the OL and at QB. The list goes on. Talent issues are nowhere near the totality regarding what limits this team. Coaching is an even bigger issue. These things are, theoretically, fixable. Therein lies the hope. But lack of talent is not the exclusive issue --- or even the main issue. Coaching is the main issue. Lets hope it gets better. Much better... quickly.

Very solid post Robsker!

I think Robsker gets it. He loves the program, the team, the university and the players. But he sees the shortfalls and trys to make them visible to those that have very dark red glasses. lol.

I always like reading his posts, as his thoughts seem to mirror mine almost to a tee.

Thanks for putting in words what I am thinking as you do it nearly every single time.

I think Robsker gets it. He loves the program, the team, the university and the players. But he sees the shortfalls and trys to make them visible to those that have very dark red glasses. lol.

I always like reading his posts, as his thoughts seem to mirror mine almost to a tee.

Thanks for putting in words what I am thinking as you do it nearly every single time.

Agreed ... and I didn't have to post 20 times and then counter ... all for the sake of being "right".

That pretty much perfectly summarizes the problem with this board at this time. Real, glaring, obvious problems with major components of this team are presented, then summarily dismissed with a few words, one-liners or quips, yet we have an 11-page (and counting) thread agonizing over every detail of the play of one player.

Case in point: Talk about Martinez has now hijacked the Husker Extra recruiting chat ...

That pretty much perfectly summarizes the problem with this board at this time. Real, glaring, obvious problems with major components of this team are presented, then summarily dismissed with a few words, one-liners or quips, yet we have an 11-page (and counting) thread agonizing over every detail of the play of one player.

Case in point: Talk about Martinez has now hijacked the Husker Extra recruiting chat ...

Martinez inspires some pretty strong feelings one way or the other. A lot of people say "well he's the QB and the next guy will get just as much sh!t" - but I don't remember Ganz, or Taylor dividing people so much. They were both better (or performed better) than Martinez, but not by such a wide margin that they should be free of ridicule.

With Martinez it's love/hate. Not many in between. You either think he will be successful here in the next 2 years, or you have come to the conclusion that he won't be (but I'm still hopeful, 1 in a million :) ). That's what being the starter for 2 years gets you...enough of an evaluation period that people have made up their minds one way or the other.

Been a long time since we had a 2 years starter with 2 years left. He's in a unique position.

Martinez inspires some pretty strong feelings one way or the other. A lot of people say "well he's the QB and the next guy will get just as much sh!t" - but I don't remember Ganz, or Taylor dividing people so much. They were both better (or performed better) than Martinez, but not by such a wide margin that they should be free of ridicule.

With Martinez it's love/hate. Not many in between. You either think he will be successful here in the next 2 years, or you have come to the conclusion that he won't be (but I'm still hopeful, 1 in a million :) ). That's what being the starter for 2 years gets you...enough of an evaluation period that people have made up their minds one way or the other.

Been a long time since we had a 2 years starter with 2 years left. He's in a unique position.

The difference between Ganz/Taylor and Martinez are the pieces they had around them offensively. Ganz, specifically, had at least two linemen that went to the NFL that year (Murtha/Slauson), a much better receiving corp (Swift, Pederson) and a guy like Mike McNeil who played pretty well in '08. I also think our '08 line was the most consistent/best line we've had in Pelini's tenure. They also had Lucky and Helu, and although Lucky never hit his potential here, both of those guys were far more experienced than our Burkhead/freshman running trio this last year.

I think a lot of the Martinez dislike comes down to his character, but I might be a little off base. I think some people mistake his lackadaisical demeanor and quiet tendencies with an "I don't care" attitude, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Pelini has invested too much time and effort into Martinez to sit him and say we found someone better. Martinez can't throw. Plain and simple, he cannot consistently throw a solid pass. When he runs, he stands upright and gets destroyed the second any D gets in front of him. When we actually get, AND PLAY, a better qb, you all will see what we have been missing.

None of that matters until Pelini quits acting like a pissed-off robot all the time. "We just need to execute" is not the answer. He needs to inject some hope and confidence into his team. Our problems are more mental. Until we get that figured out, we will continue to play down to our competition's level and lose to crap teams. I think we have the players and coaches. We don't have the mental part figured out.

We desperately need confidence and swagger.

Well I have first hand knowledge of the kid, or at least as much as you gain in an hour or so of talking with him and his dad. I agree with my friend, more introverted than anything. Not a swashbuckler, quiet, very polite, very respectful, yes sir, no sir. I can pretty much say I really like the kid. But again this was around a bunch of older adults, close friends and family. I did not see arrogance in any way, very humble, almost shy would be how I would describe the kid. Very fit, sharp, focused on the future. He seems to love being at Nebraska, is quite fond of Lauren.

Talk about a pair of news grabbing kids.

I hope he lives up to what all are expecting and wanting. I would be proud to have him as a son or son in law.

The difference between Ganz/Taylor and Martinez are the pieces they had around them offensively. Ganz, specifically, had at least two linemen that went to the NFL that year (Murtha/Slauson), a much better receiving corp (Swift, Pederson) and a guy like Mike McNeil who played pretty well in '08. I also think our '08 line was the most consistent/best line we've had in Pelini's tenure. They also had Lucky and Helu, and although Lucky never hit his potential here, both of those guys were far more experienced than our Burkhead/freshman running trio this last year.

I think a lot of the Martinez dislike comes down to his character, but I might be a little off base. I think some people mistake his lackadaisical demeanor and quiet tendencies with an "I don't care" attitude, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Heh, that's no kidding...just imagine if we had Swift & Peterson the last couple of years. Erasing the average 3 or 4 drops a game "really" could have made a difference. Lucky out of the backfield had glue hands too. Not a great "running" back but he could catch the ball.

Z. Lee would have loved to have had them too. Oh well......

Heh, that's no kidding...just imagine if we had Swift & Peterson the last couple of years. Erasing the average 3 or 4 drops a game "really" could have made a difference. Lucky out of the backfield had glue hands too. Not a great "running" back but he could catch the ball.

Z. Lee would have loved to have had them too. Oh well......

Not just on players stats either - keeping drives going, time of possesion, etc.

We need bigger improvements out of him or it will be a similar season as before. There was very little from the start to the end of this season.

We need better improvements then last season, from start to finish there were none.

I'm mean TMart only.

Big improvement from last season but not much from 2011-12

From Wiscy to SC I saw very little improvement, hope he can make the changes.

I'm noticing a theme from you, Blaze.

They let that AD idiot play WR as well as run the program into the ground? ;)

• Fire 1