Braylon Heard moved to DB?

Apathy

does this mean that heard will possibly get redshirted?

Not that I have any real answer to this from inside knowledge or anything... just pure surmise on my behalf...

but Bo is seemingly not too thoughtful about who redshirts or not... he just tries them at a position (for a game or two) and if he likes them there they stay, if not, he yanks them and we either never see them again or, at least have not seen them yet (Baptiste, Cooper, Josh Mitchell all come to mind as DB's --- they were tried for a short audition and then vanished). So... Bo does not seem to have long-term roster managment (as far as I can tell) in view. So... I'd guess that Heard will not redshirt... will be given a chance and see if he is "the man" --- and, if he is not... then if Baptiste, Cooper and Mitchell are an indicator... he will be yanked either never to be seen again or maybe to resurface down the road. Let's hope he is "the man."

but then my thoughts drift to the status of our OLine and I want to cringe.

Can you expand on this? I think the long-term potential of our offensive line is ridiculous with these last two recruiting classes. I think we are young but deep.

Yep. Young, deep & very talented. Something we haven't had in our Oline in many years. Not having to play walk-ons everywhere will make our coaches look a lot smarter.

does this mean that heard will possibly get redshirted?

Not that I have any real answer to this from inside knowledge or anything... just pure surmise on my behalf...

but Bo is seemingly not too thoughtful about who redshirts or not... he just tries them at a position (for a game or two) and if he likes them there they stay, if not, he yanks them and we either never see them again or, at least have not seen them yet (Baptiste, Cooper, Josh Mitchell all come to mind as DB's --- they were tried for a short audition and then vanished). So... Bo does not seem to have long-term roster managment (as far as I can tell) in view. So... I'd guess that Heard will not redshirt... will be given a chance and see if he is "the man" --- and, if he is not... then if Baptiste, Cooper and Mitchell are an indicator... he will be yanked either never to be seen again or maybe to resurface down the road. Let's hope he is "the man."

sometimes, you gotta wonder about Bo......

I know I'm not at the practices and certainly am not a professional talent evaluator, but I always like Heard's running the best of the three. For only being a freshman, I thought he showed tremendous maturity in the way he'd wait for blocks and simply hit a hole and go. I honestly thought he'd end up being the most consistent of the three. Shows what I know...

• Fire 1

The move to defense was imminent for Heard/Abdullah, it was just a matter of finding out which of the two it was going to be. With that said, I'll wait for the official announcement.

On a related note, I wouldn't be entirely opposed to moving both Heard and Abdullah to defense. There will be a log jam at running back with: Rex, Cross, Green, Abdullah, (Heard?). Green and Abdullah are very similar, and with Abdullah being the one to play defense in high school, I think it'd be best to transfer him (and Heard) over to the blackshirts.

Heard is a talent and needs to see the field. I do think he could be electrifying at RB, or at CB. But out of the 3 freshmen running backs he was the one that received the least amount of snaps last year. Ameer got the most... but, and I am prepared for reaction here, I think Ameer is the one of the 3 who needs to be moved to CB. He fumbled A LOT last year and part of that is because he is so small. For big 10 play where the guys are so big and you're playing against 3 lb sets the whole game we need some size and speed at that position and I think Heard and Green have more of that than Abdullah. Now I know coach Brown says Ameer picked everything up quicker than Braylon and Aaron but still... with Ameer's hips and how quick and fearless he is I see him being a better CB than RB.... unless he puts on 20 lbs of muscle this offseason. The kid was 5'9" 180 most of the season, to be able to hold on to the football and take a game by game pounding we really need him to add weight. Green, I still think is going to be incredible for us as soon as he learns to follow his blocks. That kid is electrifying and has a humble/hard working attitude.

^ I too believe that Abdullah should be moved to the secondary. However saying he should move because of his lack of size is inconsistent - unless you want to move Green to defense as well, because he's quite a bit smaller (yes, I am aware of the fact that Green is taller).

I think we should just keep throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks. This is basically how I felt about our secondary this year. I would hope they'd redshirt him if they move him to DB, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

that's pretty much what Bo did last year, played musical chairs with the DB's.......i also have noticed the music is still playing..........sigh

Heard is a talent and needs to see the field. I do think he could be electrifying at RB, or at CB. But out of the 3 freshmen running backs he was the one that received the least amount of snaps last year. Ameer got the most... but, and I am prepared for reaction here, I think Ameer is the one of the 3 who needs to be moved to CB. He fumbled A LOT last year and part of that is because he is so small. For big 10 play where the guys are so big and you're playing against 3 lb sets the whole game we need some size and speed at that position and I think Heard and Green have more of that than Abdullah. Now I know coach Brown says Ameer picked everything up quicker than Braylon and Aaron but still... with Ameer's hips and how quick and fearless he is I see him being a better CB than RB.... unless he puts on 20 lbs of muscle this offseason. The kid was 5'9" 180 most of the season, to be able to hold on to the football and take a game by game pounding we really need him to add weight. Green, I still think is going to be incredible for us as soon as he learns to follow his blocks. That kid is electrifying and has a humble/hard working attitude.

You very well may be right about Heard but honestly, to me, the gap between SRex & the triplets was so massive I really don't see much of a difference. Now, if our Oline could have given the speedsters a little room to run we probably would have a better idea how the three rank. It was downright scary watching one of the triplets run between the tackles.....I was terrified one might actually get beheaded.

I don't know. But all things considered it seems like a fairly low risk move, imo. Hope it works out!

You very well may be right about Heard but honestly, to me, the gap between SRex & the triplets was so massive I really don't see much of a difference. Now, if our Oline could have given the speedsters a little room to run we probably would have a better idea how the three rank. It was downright scary watching one of the triplets run between the tackles.....I was terrified one might actually get beheaded.

I don't know. But all things considered it seems like a fairly low risk move, imo. Hope it works out!

I remember Rex as a freshman - he was much farther along than these 3 were as freshman. Rex also didn't have to share time with 2 other guys though...it might benefit the others just to get one or two of them out of the log-jam.