Braylon Heard moved to DB?

Apathy

Cross

Green

Abdullah

Burkhead

Good Move.

don't forget Marrow...they are utilizing him as a RB/FB....lil bit of both I believe. Aaaaaaand from sources "in the know" that are right most of the time....they are stating he is moving tTo DB. Corey Cooper (S/DB) is moving to LB as well.

For spring ball at least. Evans will probably work out at safety too. AA will also take a few reps at DB just like he did last October.

Evans at safety? He's tiny!

As for Heard, we'll see how this plays out. SJB had a breakout game after his move to CB and then we never saw him again.

d'oh, this again! :P

Prince did not start out as WR, Bo did not move him to corner...

I remember fans of other schools who wanted him (don't remember which ones) complaining that Callahan promised him a shot at RB while they shot him straight and said he'd fit in best as a CB. Seems that Prince was under the impression he'd be an RB, too (sour grapes in an Arizona paper). Pelini won Prince (and Suh) over and got him to stay.

Sorry if this has been covered ad nauseum on this board.

Zoog, I almost always agree with your view on things. But I think you're wrong here.

IIRC, All of us fans thought Prince would play RB. But he was recruited as an "athlete." And Callahan and staff had him in mind for the secondary from the getgo. That ole snake-oil salesman Callahan. Here is an espn article about Prince's recruitment:

Oh, and he played in the secondary, too, but defense wasn't the topper to Amukamara's football résumé; just filler.

When he stood in Memorial Stadium at the Nebraska-Colorado game on a cold November day in 2006, a starstruck teenager, Amukamara was stoked.

In a few months, he'd be in Lincoln competing for a job at running back. In a few months, everything would change.

LINK

Sooooo, I guess that means Heard will be wildly successful at CB. (I'm being sarcastic--but hopeful..) :thumbs

edit: That quote is from an espn article, not SI.

Cross

Green

Abdullah

Burkhead

Good Move.

don't forget Marrow...they are utilizing him as a RB/FB....lil bit of both I believe. Aaaaaaand from sources "in the know" that are right most of the time....they are stating he is moving tTo DB. Corey Cooper (S/DB) is moving to LB as well.

For spring ball at least. Evans will probably work out at safety too. AA will also take a few reps at DB just like he did last October.

Evans at safety? He's tiny!

As for Heard, we'll see how this plays out. SJB had a breakout game after his move to CB and then we never saw him again.

I think SJB hurt his knee in practice after the OSU game and that's why he didn't play much the rest of the year. I think he was right in front of Jeffrey on the hail mary play.

I think that is what I said, right? Prince got a "shot" at RB, a pretty token one, but was a CB from pretty much the get-go. When Bo got here, he was already a corner. I didn't know he was frustrated at that point and wanted to transfer - but it isn't like Bo took a guy previously evaluated to be a RB, said "your best position is corner" and made the switch.

Yes, I looked at how many carries each back had. Then I looked at the roster to see how many CB's and Safeties we have on the team. Considered the youth at the running back position and also named two of the incoming young men that haven't even taken a snap at Nebraska. 24 players in the defensive backfield of this team and only 4 running backs on this team with any carries at the Div. 1 level. Yes, clearly I didn't look at the pros and con's or spend any time considering what I was saying. As a matter of fact pal, your comments make you sound rather foolish and petty. Find someone else to attempt to antagonize. Your comment was just plain non founded. As smart as you think you are, you would think you would have some sort of foundation behind why you think so. That's neither positive or negative. Just an observation.

Did you just count roster spots or look at the names/years next to them? If you're just counting and not evaluating the tallent/eligibility behind the "position tag" then we have 10 FBs, IBs and RBs. Not so thin now?

If this move happens, it's not to plug any holes we may have next year. It's to plug the holes we'll have in 2-3 years. I would expect Heard to try to redshirt if he is switching. I mentioned this in another recruiting thread...but out of those CBs you counted, only Josh Mitchel (is he still on the team) will be here in 2014 as a scholly player. Out of the DBs you counted only Daniel Davie will be here in 2014 as a scholly player. Out of the safeties you counted only Cooper/Jackson/Marsh will be here in 2014 as scholly players. That is 5 scholly guys to fill 4-5 position (peso is 5th). Not exactly deep now are we? All 5 of those guys have to pan out, or an incoming recruit needs to step up. But how many DBs do we have committed so far this year? 1 that will be around in 2014. So we have a TOTAL of 6 scholly guys in 2014 to fill 5 spots. There will be another class next year - but do we want to rely on true freshman...or a proven athlete in Heard? I'm going with Heard...even though he might be like 30 by the time he's a senior going this route. :)

Lets just hope heard doesnt end up like Mendoza. I dout he will but lets just hope!!

Yeah. Heard or Jean-Baptiste. I thought Mendoza would be a star. Maybe a Sunday player even. But instead he barely got a wiff of PT.

The move, coupled with what was mentioned by a poster earlier --- that Corey Cooper is moving to LB --- places a couple of really good athletes (Cooper and Heard) into positions of need. The RB position has Rex (Sr.) Ameer (So.), Green (So.) and Marrow (Jr.) --- that is 4 deep with Cross coming in (though he may end up a FB). So.... given that depth at RB and the distribution of having a Sr, a Jr., two So. and potentially a Fr is really pretty good --- well it seems that the move of Heard is a good thing. Also... recruiting RB's... for NU... seems easier than getting Db's --- so... sounds like a worthy low risk experiment with little downside and some reasonable potential upside.

I think that is what I said, right? Prince got a "shot" at RB, a pretty token one, but was a CB from pretty much the get-go. When Bo got here, he was already a corner. I didn't know he was frustrated at that point and wanted to transfer - but it isn't like Bo took a guy previously evaluated to be a RB, said "your best position is corner" and made the switch.

you are correct sir, prince was a rb for every bit of a week and bo did not switch him. it is revisionist history at its finest..

The move, coupled with what was mentioned by a poster earlier --- that Corey Cooper is moving to LB --- places a couple of really good athletes (Cooper and Heard) into positions of need. The RB position has Rex (Sr.) Ameer (So.), Green (So.) and Marrow (Jr.) --- that is 4 deep with Cross coming in (though he may end up a FB). So.... given that depth at RB and the distribution of having a Sr, a Jr., two So. and potentially a Fr is really pretty good --- well it seems that the move of Heard is a good thing. Also... recruiting RB's... for NU... seems easier than getting Db's --- so... sounds like a worthy low risk experiment with little downside and some reasonable potential upside.

Ya I heard about Cooper to LB last night but wasn't for sure it was true or not.

Also add in the 3 star RB walk-on King Frazier from Missouri that may surprise fans. There are several insiders including the Husker recruiting publishers who believe this is a HUGE steal

Ya I heard about Cooper to LB last night but wasn't for sure it was true or not.

Also add in the 3 star RB walk-on King Frazier from Missouri that may surprise fans. There are several insiders including the Husker recruiting publishers who believe this is a HUGE steal

Both of those posts are really encouraging to think about, but then my thoughts drift to the status of our OLine and I want to cringe. I really hope we can figure it out up front so our stable of backs can get good production.

but then my thoughts drift to the status of our OLine and I want to cringe.

Can you expand on this? I think the long-term potential of our offensive line is ridiculous with these last two recruiting classes. I think we are young but deep.

I agree we have gotten some decent talent lately and we are still very young, but I am not too fond of Barney's ability to develop talent. Hopefully something will click soon.

I think Cross will stick to RB, i think we saw a need for a bigger back that can take the punishment between the tackles, like rex but bigger. Then you have your scat backs for change of pace game breaker plays.

Last year we had arguably one of the top CB classes in the nation at one point. The top 2 corners in Texas. One screwed us over and started for Arkansas as a true freshman, and the other cant make his grades, or get the classes hes needs to get in, even after a year off. I think we can evaluate and recruit the talent, i just think we have had some bad luck at the position. Mo Siesay will be the next good one, we can almost count on that with our JUCO track record in the secondary. I think in a few years when kids look back at all our DB draft picks, and our ability to coach, they would be crazy to turn down our coaching staff.