Who should the next Nebrasketball coach be?

GWH

Gregg Marshall. A coach that knows how to win. Right now his team his 17th in the country in points per game, that's what we need

That's all well and good but I don't think Wichita State would be 17th in scoring if they were in the Big Ten or Big East, etc.

*Hopefully* at NU he'd be able to recruit better players so his team could still be 17th in scoring while in the Big Ten. *Hopefully*

As long as we're throwing high school coaches out there, how about Jim Weeks (Beatrice)? I know it would never happen either but man he gets his kids to play hard for him.

"Hi. My name is coach High School. Nice to meet you Mr. College Recruit. You may not know me, but I took a group of 16-year olds and rocked the basketball state of Nebraska into delirium. You should've seen the offers I got from Peru St College and Millard South before I took this job at the University of Nebraska. What? The NCAA Tournament? Hell yeah I've heard about it! I watch it on TV every year, it's great! Now if you'd just sign your name on this letter of intent..."

I'm putting in a vote for Shaka Smart of VCU.

"Smart's teams play a style of basketball known as "havoc." Smart described his "havoc" defensive philosophy during his introductory press conference as, "We are going to wreak havoc on our opponent's psyche and their plan of attack." On the court, the "havoc" defensive mindset is visible through the heavy use of the full court press and pressing after made baskets to disrupt opponents' timing of offensive sets. In his second season, VCU led the Colonial Athletic Association in steals. Offensively, Smart-coached teams play uptempo and push the ball after misses and makes with what Smart describes as "The freedom to make plays in the open court."

Sounds like just the ticket to me.

T_O_B

G>B>R

"Smart's teams play a style of basketball known as "havoc." Smart described his "havoc" defensive philosophy during his introductory press conference as, "We are going to wreak havoc on our opponent's psyche and their plan of attack." On the court, the "havoc" defensive mindset is visible through the heavy use of the full court press and pressing after made baskets to disrupt opponents' timing of offensive sets. In his second season, VCU led the Colonial Athletic Association in steals. Offensively, Smart-coached teams play uptempo and push the ball after misses and makes with what Smart describes as "The freedom to make plays in the open court."

T_O_B

G>B>R

Was said on ESPN today that Shaka was lead candidate for Illinois job.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Then let's go after...

Jimmy Pastos of Loyala Maryland

Patsos served as an assistant coach to Gary Williams at the University of Maryland for 13 years. Patsos took over at Loyola after they suffered a 1-27 season under former coach Scott Hicks.

Patsos was the 20th head coach of Loyola men's basketball. In his first season as coach in 2004, he guided them to a 6-22 record. In his second season, they reached 15-13, the first time they had a winning record since the 1993-94 season, the year they reached the NCAA Tournament under Skip Prosser.

On Dec. 22, 2009 a Patsos led Loyola team recorded the greatest regular season win in program history defeating the Indiana Hoosiers 72-67. The Hounds led by as many as 22, before the Hoosiers rallied to take a late lead. Senior Guard Brett Harvey led the Hounds back scoring 9 points in the final 3 minutes.[2]

He has guided the Greyhounds to multiple 3rd place MAAC finishes, finishing with 18 wins in 2006-07 and a tied a school record with 19 wins in 2007-08.

Patsos has sought local talent in his coaching staff. Former players from Maryland, Terrell Stokes and Matt Kovarik are former assistants at Loyola.[3]

On his staff, Patsos currently has G.G. Smith, son of Minnesota Coach Tubby Smith, former Greyhound Greg Manning, and Luke D'Alessio, former head coach at Division II school, Bowie State.[4]

Patsos received a contract extension from Loyola on July 9, 2008. Per Loyola policies, details of the contract were not released.[5]

On November 25, 2008, Patsos and the Greyhounds double-teamed Davidson All-American Stephen Curry for the entire game, leaving his other three players to face the 24th ranked Wildcats in a four on three game. Davidson won by 30, while Curry stood in the corner during most possessions. Commenting afterwords, Patsos said: "We had to play against an NBA player tonight. Anybody else ever hold him scoreless? I'm a history major. They're going to remember that we held him scoreless or we lost by 30? I know the fans are mad at me, but I had to roll the dice as far as a coach goes. I'm not some rookie coach," said Patsos, a former longtime assistant at Maryland. "I won a national title as a top assistant coach to Gary Williams. For 13 years I spent on Tobacco Road. I coached a couple of No. 1 picks in the draft. And we scored 48 points. That's the problem that Loyola basketball had today." (implying that his team's offense cost them the game, not their defense).[6]

What's the story behind Crum?

It's been years and I don't remember how it went, but there was talk on campus that Crum put out feelers and was interested but our administration decided against it. I think there was concerns about if he ran a clean program or not????....I can't really say I guess. I don't remember for sure.

So basically you're saying our athletic department has ALWAYS been monumentally inept when it comes to anything outside of football?

How sad.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Then let's go after...

Jimmy Pastos of Loyala Maryland

Patsos served as an assistant coach to Gary Williams at the University of Maryland for 13 years. Patsos took over at Loyola after they suffered a 1-27 season under former coach Scott Hicks.

Patsos was the 20th head coach of Loyola men's basketball. In his first season as coach in 2004, he guided them to a 6-22 record. In his second season, they reached 15-13, the first time they had a winning record since the 1993-94 season, the year they reached the NCAA Tournament under Skip Prosser.

On Dec. 22, 2009 a Patsos led Loyola team recorded the greatest regular season win in program history defeating the Indiana Hoosiers 72-67. The Hounds led by as many as 22, before the Hoosiers rallied to take a late lead. Senior Guard Brett Harvey led the Hounds back scoring 9 points in the final 3 minutes.[2]

He has guided the Greyhounds to multiple 3rd place MAAC finishes, finishing with 18 wins in 2006-07 and a tied a school record with 19 wins in 2007-08.

Patsos has sought local talent in his coaching staff. Former players from Maryland, Terrell Stokes and Matt Kovarik are former assistants at Loyola.[3]

On his staff, Patsos currently has G.G. Smith, son of Minnesota Coach Tubby Smith, former Greyhound Greg Manning, and Luke D'Alessio, former head coach at Division II school, Bowie State.[4]

Patsos received a contract extension from Loyola on July 9, 2008. Per Loyola policies, details of the contract were not released.[5]

On November 25, 2008, Patsos and the Greyhounds double-teamed Davidson All-American Stephen Curry for the entire game, leaving his other three players to face the 24th ranked Wildcats in a four on three game. Davidson won by 30, while Curry stood in the corner during most possessions. Commenting afterwords, Patsos said: "We had to play against an NBA player tonight. Anybody else ever hold him scoreless? I'm a history major. They're going to remember that we held him scoreless or we lost by 30? I know the fans are mad at me, but I had to roll the dice as far as a coach goes. I'm not some rookie coach," said Patsos, a former longtime assistant at Maryland. "I won a national title as a top assistant coach to Gary Williams. For 13 years I spent on Tobacco Road. I coached a couple of No. 1 picks in the draft. And we scored 48 points. That's the problem that Loyola basketball had today." (implying that his team's offense cost them the game, not their defense).[6]

That last quote about Curry makes me think the dude is kind of an idiot. I'd notice the 30 point loss more than whether or not Curry scored a point. Maybe I'm just more of a "team results" type of guy.

As great as it would be, the Shaka Smart dream really needs to end. He can stay at VCU until a "dream job" comes open. Plus he really wants to stay on the East Coast. And Nebraska doesn't fit either of those criteria. Leaving VCU for DONU would be about five steps back for him and the majority of us know that.

How bout offer Brad Stevens 2.5 mil a year for 5 years! Let's pass the hat.... I'll start.... $.02!!!!

Absolutely 100% my #1 choice! I don't know if he would come here, but the guy is a super smart coach and would be a splash hire. Let's do everything we can to get him here.

How bout offer Brad Stevens 2.5 mil a year for 5 years! Let's pass the hat.... I'll start.... $.02!!!!

Absolutely 100% my #1 choice! I don't know if he would come here, but the guy is a super smart coach and would be a splash hire. Let's do everything we can to get him here.

the guy is under contract through 2021. no chance at all

the guy is under contract through 2021. no chance at all

That's why buy outs are built in to contracts!!! Seriously, keep passing the hat!