Who should the next Nebrasketball coach be?

GWH

Tim Miles at Colorado St. A guy who can win with Nebraska guys.

No kidding right?! I think he could be a very viable candidate. I just hope we start spending some more cash on basketball otherwise it's not gonna be good. It's gonna be hard to get a decent coach in here when you show him our budget for bball.

How bout offer Brad Stevens 2.5 mil a year for 5 years! Let's pass the hat.... I'll start.... $.02!!!!

Absolutely 100% my #1 choice! I don't know if he would come here, but the guy is a super smart coach and would be a splash hire. Let's do everything we can to get him here.

the guy is under contract through 2021. no chance at all

That's why buy outs are built in to contracts!!! Seriously, keep passing the hat!

This. Honestly, basketball coach at Nebraska may be a step down from Butler at the moment. The only thing better here is the facilities. Otherwise, Butler is an established program right now after being in back-to-back national championships.

Plus, my old man made this point last time I was home: Apparently Barry Collier is the AD at Butler, so he likely wouldn't grant Stevens permission to even talk to Nebraska.

for some reason i have a gut feeling that the Doc is going to be sticking around for another year...with the amount of injuries we had, and also the first year in a new league, you cant have much of a better excuse why you sucked besides that, unless something tramatic happened like a player died or something, but in any case, if he fails again next year (which he will) then i think T.O will pull the trigger

How bout offer Brad Stevens 2.5 mil a year for 5 years! Let's pass the hat.... I'll start.... $.02!!!!

Absolutely 100% my #1 choice! I don't know if he would come here, but the guy is a super smart coach and would be a splash hire. Let's do everything we can to get him here.

That's why buy outs are built in to contracts!!! Seriously, keep passing the hat!

This. Honestly, basketball coach at Nebraska may be a step down from Butler at the moment. The only thing better here is the facilities. Otherwise, Butler is an established program right now after being in back-to-back national championships.

Plus, my old man made this point last time I was home: Apparently Barry Collier is the AD at Butler, so he likely wouldn't grant Stevens permission to even talk to Nebraska.

I was only basing my thoughts on Stevens turning down Oregon, Wake, and Clemson last year. Hadn't even thought about Collier.

for some reason i have a gut feeling that the Doc is going to be sticking around for another year...with the amount of injuries we had, and also the first year in a new league, you cant have much of a better excuse why you sucked besides that, unless something tramatic happened like a player died or something, but in any case, if he fails again next year (which he will) then i think T.O will pull the trigger

I was laughing about hiring a high school coach...now I realize I'd rather one on the Husker bench for one year rather than one more year of Sadler 30/30.

* 30/30 = 30 points per game and/or 30 point blowouts

Good gosh these people don't stop. He's. Not. Coming. He has turned down over half a dozen programs that are better then NU and are willing to spend more money. His AD was almost fired by Nebraska and has said Stevens won't leave for any program unless they're capable of back to back to back NCs. This isn't even a pipe dream. It's an 'I'm not that smart when I'm sober and right now I'm wasted' thought.

Sipple said today that Tommy Amaker was a name for Husker fans to watch. He's a coach K guy, has experience in the B1G and just took Harvard to their first NCAA bid since the '40s. He's probably not my first choice, but wouldn't be a bad hire.

Good gosh these people don't stop. He's. Not. Coming. He has turned down over half a dozen programs that are better then NU and are willing to spend more money. His AD was almost fired by Nebraska and has said Stevens won't leave for any program unless they're capable of back to back to back NCs. This isn't even a pipe dream. It's an 'I'm not that smart when I'm sober and right now I'm wasted' thought.

Sipple said today that Tommy Amaker was a name for Husker fans to watch. He's a coach K guy, has experience in the B1G and just took Harvard to their first NCAA bid since the '40s. He's probably not my first choice, but wouldn't be a bad hire.

I see what you're saying. You're most likely right.

Another guy would be that assistant to Bill Self at KU. I think his last name is Manning. I don't know much about him, but I've heard his name thrown around a few times, and I could see him as a good potential hire.

It's rare to see such brutal candor from the local press. Not sure if Rosie has inside info that Doc is really on the way out, or if he's just gauging the winds, but I found this peek behind the veil of a local sportswriter's opinion pretty interesting:

Juco reliance, roster turnover reasons for Doc's demise

Posted by: Brian Rosenthal on March 7, 2012 at 10:10PM CST

Greetings from Indianapolis, where I’m expecting a short stay for the Nebraska men’s basketball team.

The Huskers face Purdue in Thursday’s first round, a game that will start around 7 p.m. CST. A loss would finish a dismal 12-18 season, and also end the Doc Sadler era.

Yes, that’s my prediction. It’s hardly a bold one at this point. But unless Nebraska does the unthinkable and wins the Big Ten Tournament, Sadler will be fired. When? If the Huskers lose to Purdue, I'd say it could happen as soon as Friday afternoon. I’d be surprised if the situation lingered through the weekend, but stranger things have happened.

I’ll have more on that situation, and why it didn’t work for Sadler, despite his efforts, in a postgame column Friday (or after the team’s final loss, whenever that is).

But here are some quick numbers that tell a lot:

29. Scholarship players Sadler brought into the Nebraska program during his six seasons.

14. Players that were transfers (10 juco, four non-juco)

11. Players, of those Sadler brought to Nebraska, who left the program (so far).

38. Percentage of Sadler’s recruits who didn't make it at Nebraska.

2. Players, of the 11 who left the program, who eventually ended up on a Division I roster (Alonzo Edwards, North Texas; Standhardinger, Hawaii.) To be fair, players like Cookie Miller and Eshaunte Jones transferred a division lower so they could play immediately.

Conclusion: The roster turnover and high number of transfers bit Sadler, who went for too many quick fixes.He tried filling up too many scholarships, too quickly, in his first full class, and got caught in a vicious juco cycle that's hard to end once you start it. It’s why the program has very little foundation six years later. And it’s why next year will be rough.

Prediction: The next coach won’t be relying on junior college transfers. He can’t. Not in the Big Ten. He'll have to build from the ground up. As painful as that may be to start.

That hire would also fulfill the diversity equirement that some seem to be establishing...