Very Encouraging Class

Frank was fired because he wasn't going to keep us to what we were accustomed to. Bo gets to stay because we are accustomed to it now! So ask yourselves. If Bo had followed TO how would you feel about him now?

If the bold statement was true Frank would have been fired after the 2002 season. There was a lot more going on regarding Frank's firing than was made public. It wasn't as simple as wins and losses.

I think you have a good point in that Bo wouldn't have been as well-received (or, his "honeymoon" wouldn't have lasted as long) if he had succeeded Osborne rather than Callahan. The state of Nebraska Football was far different after Osborne left compared to Callahan, as we all know.

The "honeymoon period" has long since ended with Bo. He doesn't get the grace of "better than the last guy" anymore, and hasn't for over a year. The honeymoon was over for all but the unrealistic die-hards back towards the end of 2010.

Kap, I heard the same thing regarding Coach Solich, and also believe that the reason were why he didn't get the Navy job, that many thought he was a shoo-in for. It could be just hearsay though, so I can't definitively stand behind what I'm saying. However, the 2002 season and the blowout losses 2003 made firing him more 'justifiable'.

It wasn't Navy.......it was Army...........and he could have had the job............he chose NOT to take it................

Ok cool. Thanks.

Wisky had the 10th best class in the Big10. I wonder what their fans are saying. We get the number 3 class, and you would think we had a losing season around here. It was a great class, we start winning the Big10 and we can compete with OSU and Michigan, but we still probably wont finish above them. Its the way it is, no talent in NE.

(8th ranked fwiw)

And you're assuming our programs are equal. No offense to Wisconsin, but they are at the highest point they've ever been (at least as far as I can remember). It'll take more than a poorly ranked recruiting class to get them off their cloud. Besides, they are used to it. They've never been better than 6th, usually around 8th.

Ultimately, Wisconsin can get away with it due to the style of football they play. Tom Osborne could get away with it (even though he had some highly ranked classes in his day). And honestly, I think Beck has us headed in a direction where Nebraska should be able to get away with it. If he doesn't he's the wrong man for the job. I DO NOT think that we could have won with Callahan/Watson without top 10-15 classes. I think to run those sort of offenses you need elite tallent. But I think Beck has us heading in a different direction, hopefully one that won't require that level of tallent. However, every time I hear the word "multiple" I think "complex" and "we need better athletes". That word is still getting tossed around so I'm still worried.

Bo and the defense on the other hand...I think he proved this year how dependent that defense is on elite playmakers. If you look at this class from just a defensive perspective...I believe he got them. I'm not all that happy with the class as a whole, mainly because it's a numbers game and we undersigned. But on the defensive side of the ball we plugged an imediate hole at DB, and stockpiled some DTs, LBrs. I am worried about the DBs 2 years from now, but next year's JUCO signees should fix that.

A lot is riding on Beck now though. Bo took 11 guys out of this class. That leaves Beck w/ 6. Beck likely is only going to get 2-3 guys into the 2-deap considering about 50% wash out. Tough job he has. That's where I'm most worried. Offensively we missed.

Depending on which source you getting your info from the one i read said 10th ranked. Ive also seen us as low as 6th, just depends who you want to read.

I agree with most of your post except the undersigning thing. I dont know why you think we undersigned? We could have taken 18 and we took 17 because of Owa jr . So if that was what your referring to then ya ok i'll give ya that. But we could not sign 25 guys. We didnt have the room, you know this. So i dont understand if you think we should have just oversigned and said heck with it or what your saying. We knew this time last year we were only going to take 14-16 and we ended up with 17. With news of Williams and possibly Cooper coming in the last month i dont think we had enough guys left on the board to get a few more, and honestly i would rather give the last couple schollys to walk ons then just offer an extreme backup to replace Williams at the last minute. Point being we signed as many as we could minus Peat.

Frank was fired because he wasn't going to keep us to what we were accustomed to. Bo gets to stay because we are accustomed to it now! So ask yourselves. If Bo had followed TO how would you feel about him now?

Who knows? He'd be taking over an established winner instead of the sh#t pile Callahan left behind.

Good point!

Silly?

Rushing YPG & YPC go seriously down from 2010 but we have to "pretend" to believe we didn't have good Oline play?

you probably don't need me to tell you this, but the biggest reason for that is now residing in DC. helu provided a huge homerun threat that we didn't have this year. the other reason is that martinez was clearly less fast (and fearless/reckless) than last year. we had a lot less 80 yard runs. that has little to do with blocking (maybe perimeter blocking, but i think that was generally very good). our offense was clearly a lot more efficient and consistent though. last year was largely boom or bust. this year we were able to string together a lot longer of drives, particularly of the type where we shoved the ball down people's throats. obviously burkhead deserves credit for getting the most out of every run, but even he needs blocking to go forward.

and i don't think 21 sacks is bad at all considering we threw the ball 300 times and had a kid with less than stellar awareness playing quarterback. (though i do think taylor made great strides in that department as a sophomore.)

Well said and true enough "but" (haha...you knew I would say that, right?) without SRex breaking about 8,000 tackles behind the LOS this year for positive yardage what would we have had? Roy was a great back with speed & the whole 9 yds but no-way he could have done that.

Secondly, we at times were outrageously inept for long periods of time. Like the whole NW game. Good Gawd, when you can't get a push vs one the very, very worst defense in cfb.......well... 122 yds rushing for the whole team, at Lincoln vs NW?? Oh boy, so much for our "run-first" offense, huh?

Anyways, we'll just agree to disagree. But either way, we should start getting some talent and depth on the Oline next year. Finally.

I agree with most of your post except the undersigning thing. I dont know why you think we undersigned? We could have taken 18 and we took 17 because of Owa jr . So if that was what your referring to then ya ok i'll give ya that. But we could not sign 25 guys. We didnt have the room, you know this. So i dont understand if you think we should have just oversigned and said heck with it or what your saying. We knew this time last year we were only going to take 14-16 and we ended up with 17. With news of Williams and possibly Cooper coming in the last month i dont think we had enough guys left on the board to get a few more, and honestly i would rather give the last couple schollys to walk ons then just offer an extreme backup to replace Williams at the last minute. Point being we signed as many as we could minus Peat.

I think we are 3 short. I could be wrong but I count 82 on scholarship. I believe 20 was the final number. (we would have taken Fuller/Peat/Shelton)

Next year is going to be huge and we're signing a top 10 class...so hopefully the few JUCO balance the one out. No worries.

I did..............Frank never had a class this bad

But yet Frankie still went 7-7 in 2002 and 9-3 in 2003 with a better recruiting class than what Bo's ever had so what are you trying to say here??? I guess its only good to go 7-7 and 9-3 with top recruiting classes and frowned upon when going 9-3 with a less stellar recruiting class. Am I correct?

Very disappointing Class if you ask me. Is there a game changer recruit coming to Lincoln next year? No. We recruited a team of role players who may start at half the teams in the Big 10 their senior season. I'm totally disgusted with this class and the lack of recruiting ability of Bo and his staff. I think it's time Tom really start making some phone calls and see if we can find someone who bring home the talent on a year in and year out basis. It's time for a change.

Recruiting n00b

This recruiting class is totally disappointing. Once again, we will be shackled with 9-4 seasons and minor bowl games for the next umpteen years. Bo Pelini could not recruit his mother to a sit down meal at supper time. He missed big time on Peat! Stanford got him. We had to have that guy. Stanford not only got Peat (4 star), they also inked Kyle Murphy (5 star), Nick Davidson (4 star), John Caspers (3 star), Brandon Fanaika (3 star), Josh Garnett (5 star) and Graham Shuler (4 star), all OL. Oh, by the way, you can look back at last year's class and they landed some other really good O linemen. All of these dudes play on the offensive line. Contrast that with Nebraska, two offensive lineman. That was not a typo, folks! That is correct, two offensive linemen. Do you think that the Stanford coaches know something that Bo and his staff does not? It is the offensive line that starts and stops the offensive output. Scoring more points than your opponent wins games. Everyone rants about Taylor Martinez but he needs an offensive line badly, not to mention Rex Burkehead. I get tired of this Crap! On top of that, we have probably the weakest offensive line coach in the nation. We used to be able to "develop" talent. You know the routine, freshman year, redshirt year, sophomore work your butts off. Get on the field some for your Junior year, then join the Pipe LIne your Senior Year, earn All American status and then to the pros. Now, that is not even a thought. Just look at this year's line! Who the hell did we "develop"? We have some of the weakest assistant coaches in the world. Papuchis as D coordinator? Hell, he could not even do a good job with the special teams.

Did any of you watch the Bo Pelini recruiting press conference on TV? Pelini quote, "It is not important how they come into the program, it is how they leave" What a joke! What offensive or defensive lineman do you think Nebraska developed that will get drafted in the first two rounds? My prediction, none! Not even Crick!

However, let us look at the brighter side. We got Sam Cotton (3 star) TE! Whoopity, Whoopity, freaking dooo dooo! Oh, we are supposed to have a good walk on class. That will help a lot. (Not)

If you cannot block and cannot tackle, you cannot win. It is that simple. It all starts with the OL and the DL.

Not to be redundant here, but Pelini cannot recruit!

JMO!

Recruiting n00b

Just got home, can't believe Peat picked Stanford over NU(sarcasm). Maybe Pelini and Cotton influenced his decision a little. Keep telling yourself that a 50th ranked class is a good thing(ever). Can't wait for those B10 titles and BCS games to start rolling in. But hey, we did get another Cotton on scholarship! Do we even have enough QB's to have a spring game this year? Nasa is right! Frank would of been burned at the stake for a 50th ranked class, but nobody is blaming Pelini for any of this! Doesn't make sense to me..

Recruiting n00b

Very disappointing Class if you ask me. Is there a game changer recruit coming to Lincoln next year? No. We recruited a team of role players who may start at half the teams in the Big 10 their senior season. I'm totally disgusted with this class and the lack of recruiting ability of Bo and his staff. I think it's time Tom really start making some phone calls and see if we can find someone who bring home the talent on a year in and year out basis. It's time for a change.

Recruiting n00b

This recruiting class is totally disappointing. Once again, we will be shackled with 9-4 seasons and minor bowl games for the next umpteen years. Bo Pelini could not recruit his mother to a sit down meal at supper time. He missed big time on Peat! Stanford got him. We had to have that guy. Stanford not only got Peat (4 star), they also inked Kyle Murphy (5 star), Nick Davidson (4 star), John Caspers (3 star), Brandon Fanaika (3 star), Josh Garnett (5 star) and Graham Shuler (4 star), all OL. Oh, by the way, you can look back at last year's class and they landed some other really good O linemen. All of these dudes play on the offensive line. Contrast that with Nebraska, two offensive lineman. That was not a typo, folks! That is correct, two offensive linemen. Do you think that the Stanford coaches know something that Bo and his staff does not? It is the offensive line that starts and stops the offensive output. Scoring more points than your opponent wins games. Everyone rants about Taylor Martinez but he needs an offensive line badly, not to mention Rex Burkehead. I get tired of this Crap! On top of that, we have probably the weakest offensive line coach in the nation. We used to be able to "develop" talent. You know the routine, freshman year, redshirt year, sophomore work your butts off. Get on the field some for your Junior year, then join the Pipe LIne your Senior Year, earn All American status and then to the pros. Now, that is not even a thought. Just look at this year's line! Who the hell did we "develop"? We have some of the weakest assistant coaches in the world. Papuchis as D coordinator? Hell, he could not even do a good job with the special teams.

Did any of you watch the Bo Pelini recruiting press conference on TV? Pelini quote, "It is not important how they come into the program, it is how they leave" What a joke! What offensive or defensive lineman do you think Nebraska developed that will get drafted in the first two rounds? My prediction, none! Not even Crick!

However, let us look at the brighter side. We got Sam Cotton (3 star) TE! Whoopity, Whoopity, freaking dooo dooo! Oh, we are supposed to have a good walk on class. That will help a lot. (Not)

If you cannot block and cannot tackle, you cannot win. It is that simple. It all starts with the OL and the DL.

Not to be redundant here, but Pelini cannot recruit!

JMO!

Recruiting n00b

Just got home, can't believe Peat picked Stanford over NU(sarcasm). Maybe Pelini and Cotton influenced his decision a little. Keep telling yourself that a 50th ranked class is a good thing(ever). Can't wait for those B10 titles and BCS games to start rolling in. But hey, we did get another Cotton on scholarship! Do we even have enough QB's to have a spring game this year? Nasa is right! Frank would of been burned at the stake for a 50th ranked class, but nobody is blaming Pelini for any of this! Doesn't make sense to me..

Recruiting n00b

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Agreed!

I think "The People" have lost total confidence in NASA ... so I'm not listening to a word from them. NASA shouldn't really spend any of their spare time evaluating our recruiting class anyways ... what a waste of tax-payers dollars.

• 3 weeks later...

I do not think this class will get us to where we need to be. Simply put, there are no recruits in this current class that will be "impact" players. NU will be continually looking to the Jr. College ranks, in future years, to fill holes they did not or could not recruit. The best that will happen to this class is that some of them, by the time they are Seniors, will share positions with like players because there is a significant lack of bonifide stand out talent. NU does not seem to have the capacity to "develop" players in the manner of the "Pipe Line" years. We do not have the experience or quality in the coaching staff to do that. So, add that into the equation of a very mediocore class of 2012 and we will continue to see 9-4 seasons. It will be difficult to get over that hump. A lot of these players will fall through the cracks because they will never see the field in a real game. If you read the press about recruits, far too often, we get a huge build up of the possible sensation of this or that recruit and they just do not pan out. Again, I bring you back to position coaches. Jamal Turner is a prime example of a kid who showed tons of potential, played pretty good the first 5 games of the season and then fell off of the radar. All you heard was that he was "having difficulty getting motivated" or "he still has a lot to learn at his position." The kid is a great athelete. Great atheletes need to get on the field, someplace. You may have to live with some inconsistancies and a few screw ups but they need to be on the field. That is what coaching is about, getting your best athelets on the field. Otherwise, they will be kicking rocks down the road. Someone tell mey why we never played a back-up QB? Why is he not developed to the point that if something happens to our number one, he can come in and get the job done? We lack the capacity to develop players. That falls on the position coaches which ultimately falls on the decision of the head coach to hired these people.

Once again, we cannot afford to recruit marginal players because we do not and will not develop them to a significant higher level. We should never recruit a player as an "athelete." It is a sign of weakness for not being able to recruit kids who can fill your specific needs. If you cannot recruit a really good player and develop him, how in the hell are you going to develop an "athelete" and get him on the field to be an asset?

Barry Schwitzer had it right when he said, (paraphrased here) "Nebraska will never return to the years of their greatness in the 1990's because they do not have the continuity and the expertise of the long time committment of their great assistant coaches."

I do not think this class will get us to where we need to be. Simply put, there are no recruits in this current class that will be "impact" players. NU will be continually looking to the Jr. College ranks, in future years, to fill holes they did not or could not recruit. The best that will happen to this class is that some of them, by the time they are Seniors, will share positions with like players because there is a significant lack of bonifide stand out talent. NU does not seem to have the capacity to "develop" players in the manner of the "Pipe Line" years. We do not have the experience or quality in the coaching staff to do that. So, add that into the equation of a very mediocore class of 2012 and we will continue to see 9-4 seasons. It will be difficult to get over that hump. A lot of these players will fall through the cracks because they will never see the field in a real game. If you read the press about recruits, far too often, we get a huge build up of the possible sensation of this or that recruit and they just do not pan out. Again, I bring you back to position coaches. Jamal Turner is a prime example of a kid who showed tons of potential, played pretty good the first 5 games of the season and then fell off of the radar. All you heard was that he was "having difficulty getting motivated" or "he still has a lot to learn at his position." The kid is a great athelete. Great atheletes need to get on the field, someplace. You may have to live with some inconsistancies and a few screw ups but they need to be on the field. That is what coaching is about, getting your best athelets on the field. Otherwise, they will be kicking rocks down the road. Someone tell mey why we never played a back-up QB? Why is he not developed to the point that if something happens to our number one, he can come in and get the job done? We lack the capacity to develop players. That falls on the position coaches which ultimately falls on the decision of the head coach to hired these people.

Once again, we cannot afford to recruit marginal players because we do not and will not develop them to a significant higher level. We should never recruit a player as an "athelete." It is a sign of weakness for not being able to recruit kids who can fill your specific needs. If you cannot recruit a really good player and develop him, how in the hell are you going to develop an "athelete" and get him on the field to be an asset?

Barry Schwitzer had it right when he said, (paraphrased here) "Nebraska will never return to the years of their greatness in the 1990's because they do not have the continuity and the expertise of the long time committment of their great assistant coaches."

Let me summarize Goal-line's post:

He doesn't like the players on the roster, the decisions of the coaches, and the team's prospects for the future. And he thinks athletes are the key to all of football. There's no evidence or even logical reasoning support any of these stances.

Allow me to counter that post in a similar but more succinct manner:

I disagree.

• Fire 3