Urban Stirrin it up...

Hey wol-va-rine,

Ondre Pipkin's comments already got me pumped for November 24th!

didn't see it, what did he say...?

and be honest, did it really take that to get you pumped for Nov. 24th...? that's always a given...lol

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/02/03/12/Top-U-M-recruit-jumps-right-into-rivalry/landing_um.html?blockID=659222&feedID=3701

turning into Mike Hart + 150 LBs

the powers that be liked what they saw in Hoke, before his tenure at OSU how was Tressel a "high bar" hire...? we'll see, but I think Hoke will do better than most (including you) think, RR was a pretty big name hire and look at what a f**kmess that was...

I think we got the right guy and when the talent level is back up to where it should be I think he'll win big...

Tressel wasn't. Ohio State at the end of the John Cooper era was unattractive to the home run hires. What Ohio State lucked out on was Jim Tressel's meticulous work as a manager seeing the big picture & fixing all the little problems to get everything working again.

When I use the term 'home run' I don't necessarily mean the big name guys. There was little surprise that RR was a failure. He was incapable of seeing things outside of his narrow specialty. The real home run guys I tend to see are ones who intimately understand the program they are going to but also are big picture guys. Without that you don't have that long term platform. I don't see Hoke as a big picture guy. He is competent and will never be a failure like RR but he is not the guy you build a dynasty upon. Harbaugh was that kind of guy. There aren't many of them out there and that is why he could have been special in Ann Arbor.

I know all the burnt bridges with Harbaugh were not from one side but it still would have been a great thing to see.

Now excuse me while I go throw up after admitting that the special nature of our rivalry requires both programs to be not just good...but at a higher level.

A couple of other things:

1. Pittman & Dodson are Ohioans and grew up Buckeye fans

2. Urban said if the recruits have no interest then he leaves them alone. If there is just a glimmer of interest he goes hard after them.

3. I could maybe see a "gentlemen's agreement"(not really but go with it) if every other coach in the area wasn't telling OSU recruits that we were gonna get the death penalty and that they would be irrelevant in a year(it happened just like some dumb coaches are telling PSU recruits that right now. Thankfully Armani Reeves confirmed OSU wasn't one of those schools).

yep, if you get an Ohio kid that OSU wants you better make sure he's committed 100% and not slack off in your recruitment of him, and I don't believe there was any conference wide gentleman's agreement, I do think there were special circumstances where Dantonio and Tressel were good friends and so they may have had a "gentleman's agreement" between themselves, but obviously that's not the case anymore because Tressel in gone, circumstances are different now...

the powers that be liked what they saw in Hoke, before his tenure at OSU how was Tressel a "high bar" hire...? we'll see, but I think Hoke will do better than most (including you) think, RR was a pretty big name hire and look at what a f**kmess that was...

I think we got the right guy and when the talent level is back up to where it should be I think he'll win big...

Tressel wasn't. Ohio State at the end of the John Cooper era was unattractive to the home run hires. What Ohio State lucked out on was Jim Tressel's meticulous work as a manager seeing the big picture & fixing all the little problems to get everything working again.

When I use the term 'home run' I don't necessarily mean the big name guys. There was little surprise that RR was a failure. He was incapable of seeing things outside of his narrow specialty. The real home run guys I tend to see are ones who intimately understand the program they are going to but also are big picture guys. Without that you don't have that long term platform. I don't see Hoke as a big picture guy. He is competent and will never be a failure like RR but he is not the guy you build a dynasty upon. Harbaugh was that kind of guy. There aren't many of them out there and that is why he could have been special in Ann Arbor.

I know all the burnt bridges with Harbaugh were not from one side but it still would have been a great thing to see.

Now excuse me while I go throw up after admitting that the special nature of our rivalry requires both programs to be not just good...but at a higher level.

I guess we disagree, I do see Hoke as a big picture guy who definitely understands Michigan, I also think he will go down as a better coach than Carr and his record will show it, just like the Tressel hire I think time will only tell, but I like our odds...

Hey wol-va-rine,

Ondre Pipkin's comments already got me pumped for November 24th!

didn't see it, what did he say...?

and be honest, did it really take that to get you pumped for Nov. 24th...? that's always a given...lol

http://www.foxsports...222&feedID=3701

turning into Mike Hart + 150 LBs

yeah, I googled a bit and found that same page, meh, it's a rivalry and stuff gets said all the time, stuff was said right after the game this year too, nothing new here, PeeWee will find out that your legacy at either school is not determined by what you say, it's determined by what happens on the field, he better be able to back it up, we'll see...

Ok, I'm confused? Is the issue that people thought Meyer cheated because he went after some unsigned kids before signing day was over? How is that cheating? We've had kids commit to Nebraska then change their minds at the last minute (See Andrus Peat-no offense to Andrus. If I had a scholli from Stanford I'd go too!) et al). A kid is not on a team until he signs the dotted line. I also heard on 1620 the Zone that Kugler/S'eville think that Bielema is making a mountain out of a molehill here. While I respect Wisconsin (their AD was a former Husker player-Barry Alvarez) their coach should've kept the old trap shut. It just makes him sound like sour grapes.

Now having said all of that. If that isn't the issue, what is? There are so many interactions between the Wisconsin poster and the Ohio State poster then a Husker poster chimes in! I feel like I'm at the United Nations! lol (Not to discourage anyone from posting)-I just want to be clear on the issue

Ok, I'm confused? Is the issue that people thought Meyer cheated because he went after some unsigned kids before signing day was over? How is that cheating? We've had kids commit to Nebraska then change their minds at the last minute (See Andrus Peat-no offense to Andrus. If I had a scholli from Stanford I'd go too!) et al). A kid is not on a team until he signs the dotted line. I also heard on 1620 the Zone that Kugler/S'eville think that Bielema is making a mountain out of a molehill here. While I respect Wisconsin (their AD was a former Husker player-Barry Alvarez) their coach should've kept the old trap shut. It just makes him sound like sour grapes.

Now having said all of that. If that isn't the issue, what is? There are so many interactions between the Wisconsin poster and the Ohio State poster then a Husker poster chimes in! I feel like I'm at the United Nations! lol (Not to discourage anyone from posting)-I just want to be clear on the issue

he probably just let his frustration get the best of him, they've had something like 5 or 6 assistant coaches leave in the last month or so and that absolutely killed their recruiting, they only signed 12 kids and were ranked in the bottom half of the conference in recruiting (8th), considering the type of season they had that seems like a ridiculously low number of signees...

the coaches seem to be implying that there was actual cheating or at least unethical behavior. wouldn't be surprised. i think the guy's slimy.

i think other people's recruits are fair game, but i don't think that's all this is about.

and Urban Meyer is just a frickin angel.

Could you please cite the post where his beatific nature was lauded?

Thank you for your assistance.

3 years from now you guys will be right back to square 1, where you were this past summer, wondering "what the hell are we gonna do"

Well one thing is for certain in Feb 2015 there are going to be a LOT of people with egg on their faces. You really want to wager on it not being you?

You mean like the egg on all your faces when the truth was revealed about Tressel. There is NOTHING stable or straight about Urban Meyer, and frankly, for a program on the NCAA hot seat, Meyer would be the LAST man I'd want as head coach. Then there's the certainty that when things look like they could get a little tough or competitive, you know he's gonna tuck tail and run. After the Nebraska/Ohio St. game this year, I was sitting in the Ohio St. section and there were a couple guys in front of us in complete shock, wondering if you guys were even going to make a bowl. They were saying how maybe you could get Urban Meyer. I asked why the hell would you want that. Ohio St. can get someone so much better, and a hell of a lot more stable. My feelings are not antagonistic of Ohio St in any way, they are of Urban Meyer. The guy is a crooked piece of sh#t and a win at all costs coach. It showed at Florida with the behavior of his players, which seemed to be covered up by Jesus Jr. Tebow.

Urban Meyer hardly ran a tight ship at Florida and I don't expect him to get any better at an already leaky Ohio State. This is just the way things are going to be now...might as well jump on board as a conference and start paying 35 kids a year to sign with our schools and start hiring each other's coaches, tea-bagging rival fans and trashing each other's traditions.

We're the Big Ten. Let's have some class.

Bielema needs to quit tweeting and Urban Meyer should quit sh!tt!ng on Big Ten customs.

Here's an excerpt from Bruce Feldman's article from 2008 when he was still with ESPN.This was the part about Urban Meyer. I am not bagging on Coach Meyer, I personally have no opinion either way its just some posters wanted more info.

Meyer at center of controversy posted: Thursday, January 24, 2008 | Feedback | Print Entry

Another day, another story about Urban Meyer's alleged sketchy recruiting tactics.

The latest uproar involves blue-chip junior college receiver Carl Moore, a 6-foot-4, 225-pounder from Sierra College in California. Many coaches figured he was a sure thing for USC, but Moore ended up committing to Florida. Just what sold him on the Gators is where everything gets murky.

Word got out that Moore was coming to UF as a package deal with his girlfriend, Maranda Smith, a gymnast. Smith, who broke her leg in 2006 while competing for UCLA, was getting a gymnastics scholarship. Her recruitment was pretty intriguing because apparently Meyer had been talking to her, too.

"I used to talk to him every day back in November when he was recruiting Carl," Smith told the Gainesville Sun. "He kept asking how Carl was doing, and [he] wanted me to come here and do gymnastics."

That quote touched off a storm of controversy on the Internet. According to NCAA rules, a football coach can't recruit for another sport. Worse still, a school can't call a recruit more than once a week unless it is during one of the NCAA's contact periods, where a staff is allowed unlimited calls. This wasn't one of those times. That led to reports that there was an "investigation" going on at Florida into Carl Moore's recruitment.

On Wednesday evening, Smith tried to clarify the situation, saying her comments to the Sun were an exaggeration and that she didn't talk with Meyer "every day."

"[Meyer] never called me personally," Smith told the Miami Herald. 'Carl sometimes didn't have his phone or his phone would get cut off. So, he had given Coach Meyer my number and [Moore told Meyer], 'If you call my number and I don't answer or it goes to voice mail, call Maranda because I'll be with her more than likely,' and that's how he got a hold of Carl."

You can call it setting the record straight or call it damage control. Don't expect any harsh penalties to follow. The school's investigation isn't as rigorous as it sounds. In fact, such investigations go on at schools all across the country at this time of year. From working on "Meat Market", I learned that university compliance directors have to check out all kinds of rumors and reports. In this case, the school reviewed Meyer's phone records. Sources say they revealed Meyer placed three calls to Smith.

How egregious is this? At worst, it's a secondary violation. Actually, it is not uncommon for a recruiter to develop a phone relationship with a prospect's girlfriend. It's no different than when they buddy up to the player's best friend. Anything to help get them in. The difference here, though, is that Smith was offered a scholarship. This kind of thing will give the NCAA brass headaches just because they don't want schools to lure football players by also offering up a package deal for his cross-country running girlfriend, even if she hasn't competed since ninth grade.

One college administrator I spoke with said this is delving into some uncharted waters for the NCAA rule book. Recruiters can call a prospect's coach as much as they want, but can't do that when it's a player's family member. "The NCAA might have to write more legislation," he said. "Just as they had to alter things in the wake of the Willie Williams deal."

I'm pretty sure if this didn't involve Urban Meyer it wouldn't be getting any of the attention it got. Only a handful of other coaches might've sparked such a frenzy. Part of that reason is Meyer's 2006 national championship and his string of highly rated recruiting classes. However, the other side of that is Meyer being linked to a lot of negative recruiting stories.

A few weeks earlier there was a story from an Internet recruiting site quoting Darryl Stonum, a Michigan recruit, on a conversation with Meyer: "He told me that he talked to Coach [Lloyd] Carr and Coach Soup [Erik Campbell] and that they told him that I would be a much better fit in the Florida offense than I would be in the one at Michigan. I thought, wow, my coaches are selling me out? I confronted them about it. I asked Coach Carr and Coach Soup about it and they said they never talked to that guy and that there was no way they ever said anything like that and that they think I should be a Wolverine. I believed them. Right then, I knew just how Florida rolled."

Then, there was the New Orleans Times-Picayune story about Patrick Johnson, Scouts Inc.'s top-ranked cornerback who was headed to LSU, but got held up after his ACT was flagged by the NCAA. "Florida made an issue about the ACT score," Johnson said. "They're cowards. They had to go behind my back. But that's OK. We play them this year (on Oct. 11 at Florida)."

While working on "Meat Market" a few years ago, I spoke to one-time UF recruit Jevan Snead and his high school coach. They told a story about Snead getting alarmed when he saw a TV segment on Tim Tebow after noticing Meyer in attendance. Problem was, Meyer had told Snead, committed at the time, that he was the only quarterback they were going after. When Snead asked Meyer about it, Meyer responded, "We are recruiting him for linebacker."

Last night, I was e-mailed a December Sacramento Bee story that explains how Meyer was at the Heisman Trophy presentation in New York with Tebow and dialed up Moore right after his QB won the trophy.

According to the Bee story, Meyer handed the cell phone to Tebow. "Carl!" the Florida quarterback practically yelled to the Sierra College receiver planted on his mother's couch near Placerville, "I just won the Heisman! Come on down here, and let's win a national championship!"

Such a call would be a recruiting violation, but it's only a secondary violation, which means almost nothing. What it will, and I'm sure already has done, is lead to rival recruiters using the specter of a supposed NCAA investigation of Florida against the Gators.

If you're not a Gator fan, it probably makes you sick that Meyer negative recruits. The truth is all college coaches do. Most don't like to admit it and will try and couch it as just laying out the facts. But they do. There's no rule against it. Right now, Meyer's on top. I'm sure almost every other coach in the country would like to have his problems.

• Fire 2

Wow. Whatever miniscule amount of respect I had for Urban just went out the door.

From that article, sounds like he pretty much flat-out lied to Snead about Tebow, offered a package deal for the GF of the JUCO WR to get him aboard, again lied straight up to Daryl Stonum fabricating a conversation he had with the Michigan coaches, and impeded a CB who spurned them from getting admitted to LSU by alerting the NCAA about a sketchy ACT score. Now, normally, I wouldn't care about a kid who can't even manage a good enough ACT to get into LSU of all places (HATE HATE HATE)... But wow.

That article's put Meyer into perspective better than anything else in this thread. Say whatever it takes to get a kid on campus... what a douche.

Joe Schad @schadjoe Close

Alvarez: "Open season until they sign."

Barry said it perfectly. But then again, i wonder if Husker fans would feel this way if Urban stole one of our recruits this way...

My opinion (with the knowledge that i know), Urban didn't do anything illegal. Morally, it be a little bit shady.

To me Nebraska does a very good with keeping up with our recruits during the process, i can't say the same for Wisconsin and Michigan State. But if you get a kid to commit and relax on him and some one comes in and takes him from under your nose, its your own fault for not checking on him every once in a while to maintain that connection that he is still committed to your program.

I will say this, Urban definitely threw out his cajones on this one.